Price check: 2018 Sport with 401A

Mike Saunders

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 XLT
18 Sport
Hey folks...we're trading in out 2013 XLT on a 2018 Sport with the 401A and were quoted $44,886 (not including taxes)

Is that a decent price considering the option package?

Are there additional Friends and Neighbors discounts, or A or Z program discounts that can be applied?

Thanks!!

Guaranteed Savings

• Certified Dealer MSRP Discount
    -$3,298
  • 2018 Ford Explorer Customer Cash
    EXPIRES: 2019-01-02

-$2,500
  • Total Guaranteed Savings
    -$5,798
Additional Savings

• 2018 Ford Explorer Ford Credit Retail Bonus Customer Cash

-$1,000
  • "VIN Specific" Select Inventory Retail Customer Cash

-$500
  • "SUV" Fast Cash Certificate Bonus Cash
    EXPIRES: 2018-11-16

-$1,000
  • Total Additional Savings
    -$2,500
Subtotal before Dealer Fees & Accessories
$44,337

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ford Build & Price cost comes to $49,820 which includes $995 delivery charge and the $1000 Ford Credit Retail Bonus discount. The site also shows a $3000 cash back in addition to the $1000 Ford Credit Bonus Cash.

Peter

That sounds close to mine. Mine came in about $45-46K Before TTL after incentives, discounts and rebates. Adding back in the warranty and service contract put me right about 51.5K for total financing. But that was 0 Percent.... Even financing more the 0 percent still came out ahead about $80 per month on the payment. I suspect based on current financial markets the 0 percent maybe gone for a while for those of you lucky to get in on that during last round Consider it exactly that...Dumb Luck but I will take it. As they say in my profession...If it is a choice between lucky and good I take lucky ALL the time!! I could pay the same amount as the APR payment quote and have Blue paid off about eight months early.

Got a lovely surprise when I pressed the sales reps for more info. Apparently the "0 percent financing" erases all the incentives, according to two dealers. I'm extremely unhappy with this experience so far. The rebates apply with standard Ford financing -- at 7.9 percent! -- and only some are available with external financing. (A local credit union is offering 3.9 percent.)

Not unhappy enough to go GM yet, but I had a dark moment there....:)

Got a lovely surprise when I pressed the sales reps for more info. Apparently the "0 percent financing" erases all the incentives, according to two dealers. I'm extremely unhappy with this experience so far. The rebates apply with standard Ford financing -- at 7.9 percent! -- and only some are available with external financing. (A local credit union is offering 3.9 percent.)

Not unhappy enough to go GM yet, but I had a dark moment there....:)

Just so I understand, you are upset because you either get all the rebates or you get 0% financing but not both???

To recap: The "0 percent financing" is a marketing ploy. The rebates are in effect if you agree to pay the exorbitant 7.9 percent financing, which is double what local sources offer.

The difference between both is less than $1,000. I'm leaning toward buying a 2017 with under 30K miles, letting someone else eat the depreciation, and financing locally or paying cash. The options at three local Ford dealers were comically short.

To recap: The "0 percent financing" is a marketing ploy. The rebates are in effect if you agree to pay the exorbitant 7.9 percent financing, which is double what local sources offer.

The difference between both is less than $1,000. I'm leaning toward buying a 2017 with under 30K miles, letting someone else eat the depreciation, and financing locally or paying cash. The options at three local Ford dealers were comically short.
You only have to keep the financing for three months (payments) then you can refi at a reasonable rate.

^^^ You do not have to keep it for 3 months. You can refi as soon as you cant get the acct number (typically 7-10 days)

It is not a ploy. I have never seen a manufacturer offer the same cash rebate if you take a promo interest rate over the max cash rebate. It is 1 or the other. This is not just Ford.... and the rebate print states that.. there is no ploy.

I got a little over 10K off MSRP and 6.4 % and I will refinance it after the 3rd month.

I got a little over 10K off MSRP and 6.4 % and I will refinance it after the 3rd month.

You do not have to wait 3 months. The only reason dealers lie about that is because they dont get the kickback for signing you up on Ford financing.. but why pay more interest for 3 months. Sign up and refi as soon as you get the Ford acct #.

Great deal!
I wish we can get similar prices up here in Canada.

You only have to keep the financing for three months (payments) then you can refi at a reasonable rate.

One of the dealers I spoke with today confirmed this. This may be a course of action.

It is not a ploy. I have never seen a manufacturer offer the same cash rebate if you take a promo interest rate over the max cash rebate. It is 1 or the other. This is not just Ford.... and the rebate print states that.. there is no ploy.

I don't think you understand what a marketing ploy is.

I did all my negotiating by email, then got mine on the last day of last month for $40K +TTL. Went with their near predatory 7.4% to get the other incentives, but already had a pre-qual in hand from my Credit Union for 2.9%, and will refi shortly.

I can do math, so I'm good with marketing "ploys" when they work to my advantage.

When my wife bought her 2017 Explorer in 02/2017 she had the choice of 0% interest OR all the incentives, not both. To get all the incentives she financed with an interest rate of 2.9%. Ironically it's through her bank but the dealer offered a better rate than she could have gotten directly from the bank. That's my past experience also when financing with Ford dealers. They offer a lower a vehicle finance rate than my bank, whether it be personal or business.

Whimsey

Mike, I see you are saving a lot of money. You mentioned dealer fees. If that is dealer prep I can give you an X plan pin number that will eliminate the dealer prep fee. I'm retired ford and give these numbers to friends and neighbors.
Let me know and I can generate an X plan pin number in a couple of minutes.

Back