• Register Today It's free!

price for 98 xlt

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
OK experts, which I am not, please tell me a good price for this Explorer.
98, XLT, V8, AWD, 110,000 miles, moonroof, leather seats, am/fm/cd, power everything.

Asking price $6,800.

Exterior looks fine, have yet to test drive.

What should I look for?
Is this a reliable year, engine, trans?

As always, thanks everyone for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the best Explorer you can buy! :D

$6800 sounds like a deal too. If it run good and checks out.. I'd pick it up. The motor and trans are very reliable.

Sounds good to me. I paid $7K for my '97 XLT V8 AWD with 96K on the clock.

$6800 is way too low. Is this from a dealer or a private seller? I would recommend having the Explorer checked out by someone you trust. If it is from a dealer, I would be very scared. If a private seller and it passes a shop checkout, buy it fast before someone else beats you.

Originally posted by stevedud
OK experts, which I am not, please tell me a good price for this Explorer.
98, XLT, V8, AWD, 110,000 miles, moonroof, leather seats, am/fm/cd, power everything.

Asking price $6,800.

Looks like a good deal, maybe to good. Check it out real close. Take it to a shop for an inspection, may cost $100.00 + - for a complete inspect, it will be worth the money. Just be sure to look it over real close for body repair, you can use a magnet to check for body filler. Be SURE to hear it start up from a cold start listen for engine noise (if the motor is warm/hot when you goto look at it and the seller says it has not been driven today for awhile, or something odd as to why the motor is warm, be on guard). Run the transmission thru all the gears including reverse listen for clunks and feel for smoothness in shifting. Check the oil (transmission also) look for crude on the dipstick. Ask about any receipts for repair if from a private party. If it’s from a dealer RUN away. May also see if anyone can run a Car Fax for you. Sometimes a too good a deal is just that. Good Luck

Kelley Blue Book here;
http://www.kbb.com

About to pull the buy trigger

Thanks for the info. I'm about to pull the trigger. Looks good to me. Any last words?

Hurry up before somebody beats you to it! When you get there, then take your time to examine it more carefully this time around. Go for a long test drive. Make sharp turns- full lock to the right and left. Watch for slipping tranny. Make sure it accelerates without missing a beat. Check if the brakes are firm. Damn, too many things to check... Good luck!

Everything looks good so far but I'm still hesitating. I think a VIN report will be the deciding factor.

Can anyone run one for me please?

But before that, should I not give out my VIN number?

I'm not sure why you are worried about giving out the VIN number. I signed up for 2 months of looking up VINs for only $20. Well worth the price. Just ran out a couple of weeks ago or I would be glad to help.

I was really surprised by things I found out on some of the Explorers I was looking at. I had found a local privately owned Limited. The owner was a very nice 40ish lady who claimed the Explorer was purchased new by her Dad and passed on to her. The VIN check showed the Explorer was purchased and lived in Sun Valley ID for the first two years of it's life. Can we say RUST. Another private owner claimed his Explorer had been owned by his brother from new and had never been out of California. Strange how the VIN checked showed title in CO, NY, and NJ before moving to California just last year.

One question: Have you paid a mechanic to check out the Explorer? It will cost about 1.5 hours labor but will be worth the money. This goes hand in hand with running the VIN. Only with both can you be reasonably sure you have a good deal.

Back