• Register Today It's free!

primary timing chain

Luis696

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998
Hi, I've got Explorer '98 SOHC 4l, and I think my primary timing chain has slipped few times as tensioner I found in pieces, I'm going to replace one and guide as well, problem is there is no marks on a jackshaft sprocket, does anyone know how to find right position for alignment, I have found in Haynes Repair Manual that you have to move crankshaft that no 1 piston is at the top of the stroke, but no words where should other sprocket be, anyone any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it possible

is it possible no one knows how to do so? come on, please help me, I know I can expose valves and look at one, but if someone can tell me how to make it works it will save me a lot of time, money and efforts,

thanks for your help, read this thread before, was very useful when I was taking front of my engine apart, my main problem is that I think my primary timing chain has slipped few teethes, which means if I replace tensioner and guide and will attempt to start the engine I may just simply destroy it, and all my works will be lost, I know I can take valve covers and check the timings on camshafts and set it up long way, but has heard ford got the tool using one, you can adjust camshafts with crankshaft without removing valve covers.

any help will be welcomed, maybe a part number?

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 4.0L SOHC, However instead of investing in the time and money to fix it, because of the other engine problems I have, I just purchased another engine with 60k miles for $750.

I'm starting the tear down process today to take out the old engine.

Just had a chat with Ford service department and been told that on a primary timing chain two links are different colour and that there are marks on a crankshaft sprocket and jackshaft sprocket where those links should be placed, I cannot see any of it, just wondering if anyone did see those marks, the only one thing I’ve got on my jackshaft sprocket is no 97, which is probably the year sprocket has been made, but maybe I’m wrong and this is marking,

...any thoughts?

Ford has a tool to hold the parts steady while changing them out I believe. Since this is a known problem on the SOHCs, And there's no recall or anything of that sort so those of us with those years of Explorer with that issue are generally stuck fixing it ourselves or paying through the nose to have it fixed because there are two chains, one in front and one in rear, both with cheap parts that need to be replaced. Honestly I don't think it's right of them to pass that on to the consumer, considering the situation that we're all in now, probably a big reason why they lost so much market share as well, when the foreign automakers make vehicles that have little to no major mechanical problems and our domestics have tons because they decided to cut costs on production rather than overpaid CEOs and such. They knew that those parts were crap and should've used something different.

Ok, rant over, sorry about that, it just gets to me that that's how corporations treat people. But anyways yeah, local auto parts store might have the tool you need, good luck with all that, I wouldn't attempt it myself, too much time and work, I'd take the new engine route most likely.

Wow, that was great to read, especially political issues ;) nevertheless none of it solve my problem, I do not want to retime my camshafts, thing is my jackshaft sprocket slipped few teethes, and as far as I can see the situation both of camshafts are still in time, the only thing is to find a way to put them back in time with camshaft without removing valve covers, it looks like it will not be possible, I do not want to reinstall engine, it is no point to waste it,

... will keep looking if no help, will attempt to set it up on saturday

Yep

I don't think anyone has attempted this repair to my knowledge. Your Haynes manual is probably the closest to what's going to get it working for you. Most have replaced the tensioner prior to their chain skipping teeth. Or they blew up their engine and bought a new one or upgraded to the 5.0. It's sad because it really is a nice engine except for that issue. If it's your rear timing chain you're going to be stuck pulling the engine either way. So basically it's up to you. If you're just looking at the front then by all means give it a shot, but the rear you're gonna be hoisting the engine. To me at that point it's almost not worth it considering the chances of messing up the timing. If you can find an SOHC out of a 2002 or later you'd be better off because they've got the bugs worked out of those engines.

It is always good to hear good words encouraging and making you feel better also the words which will give you an extra strength to do what you plan to do, ;), as per 2002 engine, UK Ford stopped selling Explorers in 2000, so no possibility to get better engine, hoping newly ordered guide and tensioner are better, on the other hand if my one got 105k miles if it will do on a new ones another 105, I’ll be happy, as per what you said, it looks like valve cover would need to be removed to check proper timing,
will still look if anyone can help me, if not Saturday is THE DAY, it is make it or break it, personally hoping it will be a first one,

one problem solved... another emerged

hi, I did changed tensioner and guide, set up a timing - it wasn't easy, had to take off valve cover and set it up, but we did it - as you may expect new problems arisen, now two cylinders doesn’t work, cylinder no 4 and cylinder no 5, as 5 got probably bend valves as compression reading shows just above 0 PSi, cylinder 4 seems to be fine, but still doesn’t work, just wondering if any of you can help me, engine light came up, did connect to the computer and it came up with TPS voltage too low (code 0122), any ideas??? I do suspect changing valves on cylinder 5 is compulsory, but do you have any ideas why no 4 doesn’t fire, it's got fuel, spark plug I did checked/changed, still nothing...

Maybe a broken wire? happened to me once, couldn't tell by looking at it. Maybe swap it around with another, and see if the problem follows.

you mean wire from PCM to spark plug? did check on all of them, thanks for helping

Back