Priming a new motor's oil pump | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Priming a new motor's oil pump

it turns over and my my spark meter nights up. I'm just not getting fuel. Plus I drank a few gumps of antifreeze while under the the car (forgot the clamp). Six hours in er. I'm considering getting it towed. Any ideas? Computer? New few filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clarification. No fuel. But spark.

No. Where do I get one? Harbor Freight? What about the fuel pump?

I had something similar after I put my new v8 in. It cranked and cranked and could not start. In my case it was a crank sensor, I did not seat the connector all the way in. On v8, it's under the AC compressor so access sucks. Yes, check the fuel pressure with anything you can. But I assume the pump worked before.

Yes. The pump work before I will check the other items. Thanks. Hassle.

you drank antifreeze and were in the ER?

There are no codes either.

Yeah, it was a fluke. I was under the water pump and grabed the hose before I clamped it and it poured all over my face nose and ears. I opened my mouth to breath and took a moutful. I got a shot and some fluids and anti neausia meds. They kept me overnight. No biggy.

You can get a fuel pressure gauge from Harbor Freight, or probably borrow one from Auto-Zone..

Do you hear the pump kick on when you first turn the key to the run position? It should kick on, build pressure for a couple of seconds, and then turn off.

I do hear a buzz when the key is turned to on.

Is the vacuum line to your fuel pressure regulator connected at both ends?

Yes. Excellent suggestion.

I'm towing it to my shop. Hope it's something simple.

I am sure it's something simple.....
It's just beyond the diagnostic tools we have.

Explorer-PL you were right. Two crushed wires. Dealer found them. Charged me $300. Runs like a champ. Thank you for all of your input. Dealer is giving it a once over and are releasing it to me tomorrow morning at 10am.
I am immensely relieved. Again, thank you for all of your suggestions. I've never left a dealer for $300 plus tax. I told them to leave the break-in oil in in place. They agreed. Dealer said it runs excellent and fired up on the first turn after wires were fixed. I will find out what wires were crushed when I pick it up. Oil pressure is excellent.

Great news !
Let us know what wires were crashed.

I willl find out this morning. I have a feeling the installer (me) put the engine in at an angle the first time and crushed part of the harness. Either way he had it all day and is charging me $295 plus tax. My only and last time to the dealer for a couple of arched wires cost me in excess of $1,200. I just didn't know any better.

Don't feel bad, $300 is nothing compared to the money u saved by doing the swap yourself, or compared to buying a replacement truck because of the bad engine.
Keep us posted on what wires were pinched, and how she runs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. Turns out two ignition wires were severed during the engine install. The shop is a Ford shop and had the tool needed to isolate open circuit. It was one green wire and a ground wire. Could have have been the knock sensor. Mechanic was more concerned about getting home vs. giving me an explanation.

Observation: Slight vibration on acceleration. Pulls very strong. Is getting better. Starts immediately. No smoke out of tail pipe. Too early to tell about mpg. I think the trans fluid is low causing the vibration. Tomorrow I'm dropping the pan and replacing the filter and installing mobil 1 atf.

Can't get the hood back on straight. Keeping on trying.

Still using the Comp Cams SAE 10w-30 Break in oil with ZDDP Enhanced (Zinc, Phosphorus, Molybdenum, and detergents. I have a crazy break in shedule. Change oil at 50 miles, 500 miles, 1,500 miles. and back to

Back