• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

printing threads from the forums

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
everytime i print a thread, it always prints them really big. is there anyway to shrink the text and stuff?

maybe theres a way for rick to have a "printer friendly version" available if you click a button on the bottom of the thread or something, without all the ads and disclaimers, and maybe just the persons login name next to their post, etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
There is a "Show Printable Version" button on the bottom of the thread! :D

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Originally posted by section525
There is a "Show Printable Version" button on the bottom of the thread! :D

thanks :confused: i just wished i noticed that earlier, heh.

savo

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Edge SEL
Callsign
K2SAV
I am reviving an 18-year-old thread with the same issue. Has the Printable button gone away? I don't see it and have not needed it in years.
Is this an Elite Feture now? If so, can it be added to the "reasons to upgrade" literature ?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I am reviving an 18-year-old thread with the same issue. Has the Printable button gone away? I don't see it and have not needed it in years.
Is this an Elite Feture now? If so, can it be added to the "reasons to upgrade" literature ?

Have you tried "Control P" or "Command P" on a Mac? That will allow you to print entire threads, or any portion you specify.

savo

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Edge SEL
Callsign
K2SAV
Have you tried "Control P" or "Command P" on a Mac? That will allow you to print entire threads, or any portion you specify.
The problem with just printing it in standard view is that it maintains all the "chrome" around the content. So without "printer friendly view" it takes a thread with 5-replies about five pages to print. This doesn't scale well for threads with even more replies. A printer friendly or Compact View would remove all the cruft around it.
Many forums used to have an option to set view preferences to "compact" or some other scaled down view.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Many forums used to have an option to set view preferences to "compact" or some other scaled down view.

I went to Xenforo's website and others have made the same comment. Sadly they have not been open to adding the feature to their new releases :(

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I’d copy the content into a word doc before I printed it like the screen. If you need it as a reference when working I’d consider a super cheap tablet.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
The problem with just printing it in standard view is that it maintains all the "chrome" around the content. So without "printer friendly view" it takes a thread with 5-replies about five pages to print. This doesn't scale well for threads with even more replies. A printer friendly or Compact View would remove all the cruft around it.

Well I gave it a try... Xenforo doesn't want to support it themselves, and the guy who makes a ton of add-ons for Xenforo forums responded with this:

I said:
Printing threads is very handy when doing DIY projects.

His response...

"Those that want to view a thread while doing a DIY project will view the thread using their mobile device.

It's simply not practical to create and support code for the .0001% of users that would use such a function."

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I’d copy the content into a word doc before I printed it like the screen. If you need it as a reference when working I’d consider a super cheap tablet.

Another member posted this on the Xenforo forum and I concur.

"I'll chime in here - automotive forums are heavily used for technical information, as a supplement to repair manuals. People like to print out threads to use in their garage while they wrench on their car. I've done it countless times. It's still easier than trying to use a phone or tablet, especially when you have dirt and oil all over your hands. And you can write notes. I still have tech articles printed and stored in my garage from several years ago."

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I’ve always just used a tablet for this, but I can see the draw to a hard copy. You might even be able to copy it all in and strip out the nonsense instead of doing each block of text individually.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Sometimes when I'm doing a google search some forums have a text only archive format. That would print nicely if it was an option to view

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
This site doesn’t show a “reader view” natively.

savo

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Edge SEL
Callsign
K2SAV
Well. I do appreciate you researching it. Funny how something so common has gone away. Another option would be to at least change the number of posts per "loading page" . 20 posts per page is kind of Low.,, some other boards let you see 30, 40 etc per page load before clicking next. Some threads have 52 pages of 20 posts. Since the cry of moderator "did you try to search?". It's hard when a thread can have over 1100 posts. (ie forscan thread) This thread is going to gain a page break in seven more posts.
Thanks again