• Register Today It's free!

pro box sub box in trac

glnamh@yahoo.com

Reaction score
City, State
junction city , kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac 4x4
i have the pro box sub box under my seat and it sounds great except for when i turn the volume way up it sounds like the sub is bottoming out on the floorboard. Is this happening to anyone else? What did you do to fix it???

help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What sub are you using?

Have you actually looked under to confirm if it is hitting?

My guess is your amp is clipping.

i am using a jl sub... i forget the model of it.... its a 10"

i have slid my finger under there before and i can feel the surrounds hit my fingers... i dont think thats the best test though cause just cause it hits my fingers doesnt mean its hitting all the way to the floor but it sure sounds like it

what does it mean when you say the amp might be clipping. im still kinda new to this whole car audio thing and i only know a little more than the really basic terms

Clipping is a form of distortion caused by over-driving the amp.

Is your amp too big for the sub. if the voice coil gets too hot, the glue holding them in place can actually melt and have them slide out of place. makes like a scaping or poping noise. sounds like it's hitting something.

I'm betting the sub is bottoming out. It is actually the voice coil former banging on the backplate of the motor. It kinda sounds like a metal-to-metal knock. If you do it too much, you'll destroy the driver, and may have already damaged it.

why dont you pull the box out and rest it there..pump it where you know it wont hit anyhting and then you have your answer... but metal on metal noise sounds like the problem responses you got... perhaps you were working something too hard

Back