Pro Comp 9131 HID conversion (tutorial) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pro Comp 9131 HID conversion (tutorial)

I havent been around in a while because I dont have the Explorer anymore. But I figured some of the offroad guys would be interested in these.

I have been building a lifted golf cart and decided I wanted to have some large HID lights on a light bar. I was going to buy the Chinese 7" HIDs you see all over eBay. I was just worried about quality with them. So I started looking into other lights in the 7-9" range that I could convert to HID. If you ask why HID, its because the generator of my Yamaha golf cart can only handle 15 Amps.

I came across the Pro Comp 9131 and they looked like good candidates for a HID conversion. So I ordered them from Summit for something like $97 shipped for the pair. The HID kit is one of the cheaper ones from eBay. I went with this seller because I knew he sold the smaller ballasts. I knew this because I had just converted the headlights of the cart to HID last week. The HID kit was around $33 shipped.

So I have right at $130 in a nice pair of 8" HIDs.

Here are the pictures:

The 9131's dont use the standard H3 mounting method, so I used some high temp zip ties to hold the bulb in place. You could always drill and tap some machine screws in to the aluminum bulb holder instead.

DSC01684Large.jpg

The pigtails of the HID kit plugged right into the H3 wiring of the light. No splicing required.

DSC01687Large.jpg

This is how the ballast fits. Notice how the back of the light is flat while the reflector is curved? This is where the space comes from.

DSC01685Large.jpg

This is how it all fits in the case:

DSC01686Large.jpg

And here they are mouned to the adjustable light bar I built for the cart:

DSC01698Large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats freakin awesome!!!!

what kelvin rating are the hids?

Holy hell! Looks like a clean install, do you have any beam shots at night? Im curious to see how much that badboy lights up :D

Holy hell! Looks like a clean install, do you have any beam shots at night? Im curious to see how much that badboy lights up :D

I will get some pictures. They make a perfect 15' circle at about 150' while also giving light to the sides.

nice i know what I would be doing at night in the woods hahahah

whats the max speed on that puppy?

Between 23 and 25mph on pavement. I bypassed the governor; they normally do 12mph.

I know this is an old thread, but I converted three more of these to HID for my Land Rover. Basically the same procedure:

Started with this:

2012-05-24_14-20-17_900.jpg

pulled the H3 bulbs and zip tied in the HID:

2012-05-24_14-27-05_474.jpg

Plugged in the ballast. It is all plug and play:

2012-05-24_14-32-00_875.jpg

all tucked into the housing:

2012-05-24_14-30-40_548.jpg

And the results; 16,000 lumens of glory:

2012-05-24_14-35-27_733.jpg

The lights are tapped into my stock fog light wiring, with a 40a relay running them. So they use the stock dash button.

so I've been trying to decide for a few weeks now which lights to go with - Narrowed it down to either the 6" or 8" black Procomps- and i think you just fueld my decision towards the 8"ers and an HID conversion- could you link to the HID kit you used?

How about those pictures of the light :)

Back