Problem developed after installing body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem developed after installing body lift

InNeed

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 5 speed 4x4
A few weeks ago I put a 3" performance accessories body lift on my 93 explorer. Since then the steering has developed a "pop" in it when I turn. Every time I turn left or right I hear a distinct pop that comes from the firewall area. I thought that it might be the steering extender that came with the kit but for some reason I want to disguard that thought because it seems pretty stable and tight. Has anyone else had this problem?
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 3" body is known for this, do a search..I'm sure you will come up with something, it has been talked about several times in the past..

It's the steering knuckle at the bottom of the shaft. Take it out and grind it a bit to give more clearance for the knuckle to turn. You'll see where to grind when you take it off because there will be marks. A few guys have done that and it solved the problem.

Hope that helps.

Matt,
the knuckle at the end of the shaft into the box? I have the same problem, but it hasn't hindered anything yet. Any probs you know of by leaving it alone?

Jon

Matt,
Thanks for the advise. It doesn't sound like it will hurt anything else in the car with it doing that other than scratching the knuckle. I am going to try to get to it this weekend.
Thanks again
Matt

That would be the knuckle I was talking about FMExplorer.

I haven't had a chance to fix mine yet but the sound seems to be going away. It started out as a tight spot in the steering and then it turned into the popping noise and now I think it has worn the metal away that Matt was talking about grinding away. The sound is almost completely gone.

Back