Problem installing engine on 2002 Sport Trac. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem installing engine on 2002 Sport Trac.

danny02

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hello, I have been trying to install a used engine I just bought, the 6 Cylinder E 4.0L EFI SOHC on my 2002 Sport Trac. I set the engine in but I could not get it to pull tight to the transmission. It sits about half an inch or so away, no matter what I try to do. I was able to get some bolts started and tried sucking it tight to it, but it doesn't go all the way and I can tell something is wrong, It should not be that hard, and I hope putting that pressure on it did not ruin something. I think it might have something to do with the transmission input shaft, it moved freely in and out and turned freely before I put the engine it, now it wont come out of the transmission, so matter how had I pull. Any suggestions to what is wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure, but did you try and rotate the motor backwards before trying to remove the transmission?

I'm not entirely sure what you meant, I didn't say I removed the transmission, the transmission is still intact under the truck, we are just dropping in the engine. We tried turning the crankshaft to possibly make it line up but had no luck.

was replying to the last very long sentence - " I think it might have something to do with the transmission input shaft, it moved freely in and out and turned freely before I put the engine it, now it wont come out of the transmission, so matter how had I pull. Any suggestions to what is wrong? "

was just a guess, thought the torque convertor has little hook things that lock in, but maybe you were talking about a manual transmission, so maybe check the pilot bearing.

The input shaft is part of the transmission, you want the input shaft to come out of the transmission? Now I'm confused.

Oh sorry about that, When we first took the engine out the Input shaft moved freely in and out, I never pulled it all the way out, I pushed it in until it would not push in anymore, I didn't force it, but I just pushed until it stopped. No I cannot get it to pull out. It is an automatic transmission, I wasn't aware of any hook things but I'll take a look. Thanks.

Your torque converter MUST be seated 100% on the input shaft before you stab the engine to it

when you bolt the converter to the flywheel (Finally) AFTER all the engine to bellhousing bolts are in, the converter should pull towards the flywheel about 3/8"... this way you KNOW your converter is seated fully

You need to unbolt your engine, pull it forward again and ensure your converter is fully seated in the transmission

Your torque converter MUST be seated 100% on the input shaft before you stab the engine to it

when you bolt the converter to the flywheel (Finally) AFTER all the engine to bellhousing bolts are in, the converter should pull towards the flywheel about 3/8"... this way you KNOW your converter is seated fully

You need to unbolt your engine, pull it forward again and ensure your converter is fully seated in the transmission

good to know, so when the engine is pulled forward,

1: unbolt torque convertor from flywheel
2: pull engine away
3: make sure torque convertor is fully seated in transmission
4: put engine back against transmission and bolt up (loosley???)
5: bolt torque convertor to flywheel
6: finish engine to transmission bolts???
step 4,6 mentioned if there's no access plate to loosen/temove the torque convertor bolts.

hopefully this expands/explains the quoted post better

Back