Problem spots for 2nd Gen explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem spots for 2nd Gen explorers?

CobraSix

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
I've been searching for a replacement for my wife's 99 Mustang Convertible. With our first child approaching 1 year old, the mustang just doesn't have the room anymore. So we sold it.

However, that leaves us with my 98 Volvo with 200k miles and my 91 Explorer with 322k miles.

I was looking at Jeeps originally, but only like the classic. Problem I found is that as much as I love the 4wd system they have, I can't justify the price that is extorted on these vehicles considering the mileage. So I went back to looking at explorers, I mean I got 322k miles with only 1 transmission rebuild on my 91. While it has a whole host of little issues that are wrong, I can't complain too much.

I'm trying to verse my self with the 2nd gens. I don't want to spend more the $5k and the 3rd gen explorers are bigger than I want.

I know some of the issues with the 4.0 OHC engine. Any common issues that crop up with the transfer case or 4WD system? Any other common problems to look for?

Also, I have been looking at a few 5.0 AWD variants. One of my co-workers has a mercury mountaineer with this combo and he says it has held up well. Any other opinions?

I'm still reading through my search results but any information would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I had a choice, I would snap up a V8 AWD. The MPG difference is negligible, and the drivetrain is just about the most bulletproof AWD combo Ford has released...

I think that would be your best bet for both performance and reliability especially since your wife and li'l one are in it...

I can probably count on one hand the number of people with V8's that have had anything more than minor issues.

<edit> I looked at the KaStang page- very nice! ...and props on supporting SGK...

I have a 4.0 push rod and a 5.0 and the 5.0 is better on gas because it runs at lower rpms. I like the 5.0 way better. Both are solid. I don't like the over head cam units.

The 2nd gen has thicker rear axles and a few other improvements over the 1st gen.

Familiarize yourself with OBD2 if not already.

I don't like the manual trans option at all on 2nd gens. They are Mazda units with a funky internal slave cylinder that pisses people off. Other than that The 2nd gens rock.

I would get a 5.0 with a factory towing package. They have a limited slip differential.

first off, check into jeeps reliability, it has been really bad

The v8 gen2 is a great option, and I am still kicking myself for not going that route. However I am very pleased with my SOHC as well. After some minor (to me) upgrades it works great.

You know there are actually two 4.0 engines right ? one is a SOHC and the other is the older OHV pushrod engine. Both are reliable engines, the SOHC did get a bad rap due to it's timing chain issues. The tensioner would weaken over time and cause timing chain slap. There have been upgrades released to address the issue. The SOHC has good power and torque and the 5r55e is a great shifting tranny, you just need to be sure two replace the EPC valve periodically, it is the weak point on the tranny.

The OHV is a great motor, its a little low on HP but if maintained properly will run a long time. I have a ranger with 190k and still pulling strong. The problem with the OHV is the tranny that it comes with is a little weak.

the Winsor block 302 (5.0L) has been around since the dawn of time (ok well 1962 but that's a long time) it is a great block/motor and with the AOD tranny is definetly the strongest drivetrain in any explorer. I would probably even put it up against the gen3/4 systems.

depending on your use, sounds like soccer mom'ish.. Any of these options if properly maintained will last a long time. Judging by your gen1 with 300K it sounds like you definitely maintain your equipment.

Don't forget the blend door issues that came along with the Gen IIs. I'd also prefer the V8 over the 4.0.

the Winsor block 302 (5.0L) has been around since the dawn of time (ok well 1962 but that's a long time) it is a great block/motor and with the AOD tranny is definetly the strongest drivetrain in any explorer. I would probably even put it up against the gen3/4 systems.

I have a 3rd Gen V8, and my 2nd Gen V8/tranny are much more solid. Even with 154K on the clock the 4r70w still shifts nicer then the 5r55w in my 03 AWD V8.

Familiarize yourself with OBD2 if not already.

I've got all the scan tools already. Worth every penny for the nicer models.

Thanks for the inputs.

I found a 2000 V8 AWD with 100k miles for $4k. Right about the price range I want to spend. I just need to get a few good years out of it until I can use it to replace my 91 as the weekend hauler as we need to pay off student loans and I love not having car payments (haven't made one in 6 years).

I know about the 2 4.0s. My 4.0 OHV can't be killed. I've tried. It should have blown up 60k miles ago, but even with no oil pressure at idle, it still runs like a champ (long story). However I feel like I'm running on borrowed time.

My dad has a 99 with the 4.0 OHC and had the timing belt issue, which is why I shy away from that engine (I know...90% of them are great). However, the OHV is a dog, or at least my tired old engine is. I know I've lost compression and with it serious mileage. I can still eek out an average of about 17MPG with a 50/50 combo of county back roads and city driving.

I read other of the other threads about the 5.0 AWD combo reliability.

Is there anything I should look at while inspecting the AWD version before buying? any road tests that would help identify any potential hidden problems?

I dont have awd but would like to hear how it all works out. It looks like you got a pretty god deal. send pix.

If I was getting another explorer, it would be a 98 or 99 V8 AWD, I have a 95, 4.0 and love it, however I am selling it, only for the fact that it does have its problems, from previous owners, and I wanted something smaller, faster, and nicer, so I went with an LS...

The only problem though that keeps popping into my head 2nd gen wise, is the blend door. Check to make sure both the air and heat work, and if the air doesnt, make sure to bring the PSI gauge to check and see if maybe the refrigerant is low. Check the underbody!!! My biggest mistake purchasing my 92, the underbodies horrible, but it hasnt failed me yet. BESIDES RUSTY BRAKE LINES!

Hope that helps a bit.

BESIDES RUSTY BRAKE LINES!

The rear brake lines on my 91 blew out on the way to a job interview a few years ago. Of course, I was in a suit and over halfway there. So I stopped and got a big bottle of brake fluid and just kept topping off the reservoir every couple of miles.

My 91 has remarkable little rust, given it's location. I did have to patch one rocker, but it was a small section only and the rest is still relatively pristine. Just have rotting fuel, brake, and coolant lines at this point. I just had to replace the fuel pump hanger assembly because the hard fuel line on top rotted out and spewed fuel everywhere. Ended up replacing the fuel pump as well (factory original fuel pump) since my new hanger came with it. On the plus side, after 4 years, my fuel gauge worked again.

In the grand scheme, I haven't had any issues that couldn't be fixed cheaply.

Back