problem: Strange jump / shake 00 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problem: Strange jump / shake 00 Explorer

redman02

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport (2-door)
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport w/SOHC engine. I have 62K on it now, new plugs, wires, gas filter and alternator mostly preventive on my part. All fluids changed including trany & it's filter.

But here is my problem and it happens while driving on dry, wet or snow surfaces with or without cruise on and at any speed. It comes and goes with no notice in a split second.

This is difficult to explain and I thought I had seen it all but this one has got me going for sure.

Problem: you are driving along lets say about 50 mph & steady and it's like you hit a patch of ice as the drive line jumps for just a second and this jolt carries through the total vehicle. Or like you cut the power for a second and it's a big jolt the total vehicle jumps for just that second.

I hope that someone out there can give me some ideas. I'm 54 years young and have had many Explorers and trouble shoot most basic things but this one I can't get a read on it. I did a search and I could not find anything on this type of problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

Redman02:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem with my 99 XLT 4.0 sohc 4x4. I have tried disengaging OD, re-engaging it, driving faster, slower, etc etc; it is making me crazy.
I don't know if you can search posts by user name but I posted a similar question a while ago and got no definitive answer.
For me it feels like I'm running over a board on the road with a single sharp bang instead of thump thump like one feels when the front then rear wheels go over a bump. Sometimes it is moderate bangs and sometimes severe enough to make me think something is going to break!
I drive about 2.5 hours to the lake (and then back) every weekend or so and usually have 10 - 20 of these events per trip (each way) one time it was bang every 3 - 5 minutes for the whole trip..aaaaaaaaagh!; interestingly I had only about 4 the last time and can't explain why or tell you what was different. I will be following this thread to see what the Explorer experts can come up with.

answered my own question with an advanced search..here is the original post (fyi)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200243

Dang...i posted this same problem 30min before you did. Mine does the same thing...but very infrequently (once every 50miles).
It seems to happen like you say, at 50mph, OD gear, 1700-1800rpm engine speed. It also happened cruising slower, about 30mph, but the engine was 1700-1800rpm in 3rd gear. I read the link about that engaging and disengaging the 4X4 might fix this. Anything is worth a try. It kinda feels like water in the line, split second chug caused by small amount of water, then fuel again to normal.

Could be a speed sensor for the tranny. When they act up it makes the tranny do all kinds of crazy stuff.

andy...just to clarify...engaging 4x4 did nothing. And yes its mostly happening around 1800-2000 rpm...
as far as the speed sensor is concerned I'm not sure... is there some way to test it or by-pass it...I have no check engine light on, would that sensor trigger a CEL?

I do not have an answer for you, but mine is doing the same thing as well
:salute:
I have replaced my universal, serviced my differentials, tried different speeds etc. but nothing changes. I have also noticed it does it more often from a dead stop and it feels like the entire rear end is being ripped out from under the truck, any advice is much appreciated!!!

It appears this is quite widespread! I'm sure there is someone out there that has found the problem and can help out PLEASE!

Another case of the Shakes...

Hey guys, It has been a while since I posted here, but I have the same problem.
I have experienced this same problem on my 1998 Sport Exp. with the 4.0L and a 2003 Eddie Bauer with a 4.0L and now I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with a 4.6L that is doing the same thing.

For me I do not experience the problem unless there is snow flying. Or rarely driving through mist from wet roads. Seems weird almost like it is pulling in snow into the intake air stream.

I would agree with the 50-60 MPH zone.

To me it feels like the engine stops for a second and the jerk is the moving vehicle hitting other side of the backlash in the drivetrain. (Hope that makes sense)

I will be watching the thread.

Smile problem: Strange jump / shake 00 Explorer

I have had it in 4x4 high while in snow 1-5 inches on the road going 35-50 and it does it in 4x4 high as well as 4x4 auto. I have replaced gas filter, put in a water product in gas tank, new wires and plugs, battery, tranny fluid and filter but nothing changes.

Some trips it does it more than others and some trips not at all. It sounds and feels like a split second power loss or a wheel slipping in or out of 4x4 hard for a split second. But the total vehicle feels this for a split second. A less trained ear in my Explorer thought I hit something on the road.

I guess it's good:eek: that I have found others with the same problem and I hope one of us can figure out this problem and pass it on. I love the vehicle but now I'm concerned about my 160 mile trips that it could it just crap out on me.

Any help would be Great! Redman02:confused:

Hey guys, It has been a while since I posted here, but I have the same problem.
I have experienced this same problem on my 1998 Sport Exp. with the 4.0L and a 2003 Eddie Bauer with a 4.0L and now I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with a 4.6L that is doing the same thing.

For me I do not experience the problem unless there is snow flying. Or rarely driving through mist from wet roads. Seems weird almost like it is pulling in snow into the intake air stream.

I would agree with the 50-60 MPH zone.

To me it feels like the engine stops for a second and the jerk is the moving vehicle hitting other side of the backlash in the drivetrain. (Hope that makes sense)

I will be watching the thread.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just got back from a 250 mile round trip. It was not snowing or misting or raining or sleet. It did this all the way up and all the way back at speeds of 50-60 mpg with the cruise on or off. It is such a severe jolt that it is concerning on if it is causing damage.

-Redman02

Mine is starting to become more frequent I think. Last night on a 20mile trip, it happened about 3 times. Nothing came up on my mechanics scanner when I let him look at it for 10minutes. The jolt is not really severe, but I think if the problem can't be fixed it might get to that stage too.

I just took mine to the garage, mine has been severe enough (and often enough) to damage the right side engine mount, they are replacing it right now :eek:
I hope we get this figured out before it gets really expensive!

Could this be a DPFE sensor problem????? When they are bad they cause a "stumble" at cruising speeds. I took this out of an automotive article for Ford Focus;

When the DPFE Sensor starts failing, it gives the PCM bad information. The DPFE Sensor is less sensitive, and the PCM thinks less recirculated gas is being burned than is actually so. Trying to compensate, the PCM opens up the actuator too much. This excessive amount of EGR combined with the air coming in via the throttle body leans out the fuel mixture, causing a lean misfire, which is the "stumble" or "hesitation" that is common as the DPFE Sensor fails. The DPFE sensor in the Focus is not very robust, requiring frequent (every 30k miles or sometimes less) replacement or a work around. Note that complete DPFE sensor failure is a very slow process, and the check engine light won't come on until the DPFE sensor is pretty much done for.

Another site said this is also common for 2nd generation explorers.

Can you tell me what DPFE stands for, where is it located and can it be cleaned or it it replace only and....is it expensive?

Thanks a million.

Oh and I got the engine mount replaced, it still bangs like before but it much less destructive feeling since there is a cushion now....

The search continues...

Ahhhhh..I love the search feature on this forum....

here is a link that even has a picture...of course I still don't know where to look for this thing or how muchee it costee!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84292

The DPFE is also known as "Delta Pressure Feedback of EGR". The part for my '01 XLS 4.0L SOHC is; F77Z-9J460-AB also called; EGR Valve Pos. Sensor.

This part from Ford dealership in Canada costs $161 + taxes. Here is 1 I just ordered from an online site; http://www.autopartsway.ca/AutoPart...O~EXPL-XLS_4WD-002~All~EGR+Temperature+Sensor

I think it is on the drivers side of the engine on 4L SOHC (may or may need need to remove plastic cover, can't remember). From the picture in the link above it should be easy to locate.

Hey kenora:

Thanks for the help here. I don't know what I did not search on the search bar but I was determined to find it there if it was there. But once again I have egg on my face, errrrrrr

Thanks for baby sitting the old guy here with some info that might resolve my and others problems. Sounds like this problem gets worse as it gets worse being the part, with melted hoses, intake and motor mount problems.

I went out with a flash light and looked at mine on my 2000 Explorer Sport
w/ SOHC motor. it is on the drivers side and mine is plastic and easy to get at. I noted no melted hoses or other issues that can be seen by the eye. I'm going to order one out today and see if it resolves my issues. And after a week I will post my results. I drove about 50 miles today and it did not do it once, go figure. lol

Thanks again, redman02

Ford Explorer EGR Valve Ripoff??

Hey: ever body read about this guy being over charged by Ford on the EGR Valve. there is some stuff on the net about it. This guy charged 3 hours labor, more like 20 minutes.

Poor Guy! lol

Redman02

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Q. Hello Vince. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer V-8 and 117,000 miles. I Recently took my car to a mechanic to replace the EGR valve. He replaced it, and two hoses, vacuum hoses I believe. I live in Las Angeles California. He charged me what I think is way too much, $427.00. It was about three hours total of his labor.

What do you suggest I do? Just move on or can I report this to a better business bureau type of place? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

A. The EGR valve, from a Ford Dealer, is $155.38 and 0.6 hours to replace. Assuming 1.0 hours diagnostic time, that comes to, at $75.00 an hour labor rate, $275.38 plus disposal fees and shop supplies. At most, $2.00 for the two vacuum lines. So $300.00 would be the most I would expect this job to cost.

I would go back and, based on this information, ask them to justify the charges. If they don't do anything for you, you could go to the BBB and ask for arbitration. If they refuse then you could go to small claims court and sue for the difference.

Is it worth it? That's up to you. Most times it will wind up costing you more than you will get back. If you do decide to go the small claims court route, get documentation of the cost of the EGR valve from the Ford Dealer, or any parts house, and a copy of the Chiltons Labor And time Guide from the public library.

Additional Information provided courtesy of AllDATA

Smile problem: Strange jump / shake 00 Explorer

Howdy to all::exp:

Thanks to all for the help here on this problem that seems to do more damage as it gets worse. I could see a lean burn problem causing one to spin a main bearing in your engine like my 1997 GTX did this last year, but this is a high performance engine but the concept is the same in nature for sure.

I provided another link for the EGR just a few bucks cheaper with shipping included. Look close at your year for this EGR because they do differ by year and engine. Mine was plastic I think the older ones are metal. Mine was located right on the drivers side valve cove, easy to get to.

My guess was the motor lost power for a second. I was not to far off with that because a lean burn is what that is and is dangerous for your motor. I ordered one out and when I get it I will put it in right away. As soon as I have driven it on a longer trip or two I will report back to this forum with the results. If I replace it and I still have the problem I will post same day so others don't spend money on the wrong fix.

Hope a fix in the making, later Redman02

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=10333+4294967022+1616+8099

I had a look, a realllly good look at the engine and can't find the DPFE...I have a 1999 4.0 SOHC. I checked the right rear of the engine above the back spark plug, all along the right valve cover and the back top of the engine ??????
Is it possible I don't have one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look right behind the oil dipstick. 2 hoses going in, and a plug.

Back