Problem with battery terminals

jamccor

Reaction score
City, State
Budd Lake, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Hi All
I have a 1993 Ford Explorer 6 cylinder, 2 door.
I have had this car going on 2 years as I got it used.
I am having a problem with the battery. At least once every month or two, my car will not start. The problem is Always the battery terminals,not the battery. I am always noticing corrosion on it. I have to either tighten down the terminal to the wires,or buy new terminals (I hope I am using the correct terminology as it is not the battery posts but the 2 cheap black and red alloy connectors I get at Walmart for 3 bucks!). Without fail, when the car decides not to start, it is never in my driveway,but at my job or at a store way out there. I have to lift the hood and move the negative or positive wires ever so slowly. When I notice the light under the hood go on I know the car will usually start. What is my problem? I am sure this is not normal used car behavior (but maybe normal for an Explorer?). Where can I buy good professional terminals and how do I keep corrosion off of my battery. This problem is getting to me. I appreciate all help and will even keep in mind replies that say to get rid of my exploder!!

Thanks
John from New Jersey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moved from tech corner-

I'd use lead type connectors that have a bolt and nut. Clean the battery throughly with baking soda, use anti corrosion washers and then spray.

It seems like there was a negative battery cable issue with your model also. :scratch:

...You probably have corrosion inside your cables sheathing...Replace both cables...:D

Had the same problem, replaced the terminals, it worked for a few months and started doing it again. Replaced the cables and haven't had the problem since. Like tbars said, its probably corroded inside the sheath and you can't see it.

Then spray them with a corosion inhibiter. I don't know where to get it but imagine autozone. They use it in the generator at my work.

If you can't find any just slather them with anti corrosion grease(autozone).

Anothe source of the problem could be a cracked battery. Which would lead to bad wires and terminal corosion.

Spray with what? Thanks.

Then spray them with a corosion inhibiter. I don't know where to get it but imagine autozone. They use it in the generator at my work.

If you can't find any just slather them with anti corrosion grease(autozone).

Anothe source of the problem could be a cracked battery. Which would lead to bad wires and terminal corosion.

NAPA carries anti-corrosion spray- it coats the outside of the terminal and post to prevent corrosion. I have a can of it at my shop.

Wow! There seems to be a lot of this lately... I have this issue too. Wonder, would this help: Run 60 grit sandpaper around the battery posts, and then through the cable connectors. And use one of the good cable connectors that lock on... Would this work any?

Oh, and make sure your battery is secured and not shaking around while driving :)

I replaced the terminals with new copper-colored ones. I also bought 2 felt-like anti corrosive "washers" . I put them between the terminals and battery posts. Its only been 2 days,but, so far so good. I would love to replace both pos and neg cables completely but I am not that great of a mechanic. What would a shop charge me to perform that for me?

I replaced the terminals with new copper-colored ones. I also bought 2 felt-like anti corrosive "washers" . I put them between the terminals and battery posts. Its only been 2 days,but, so far so good. I would love to replace both pos and neg cables completely but I am not that great of a mechanic. What would a shop charge me to perform that for me?

Yes they would, unless they're close relatives. I replaced mine two years ago, what a difference it made on my electrical system. It is not a hard job, just time-consuming. I probably spent half a day on it. You might want to consider replacing your Starter Relay as well, as it can also cause problems with age. It's easy to replace, located right by the battery in the engine compartment.:usa:

Quick cure for the corrosion is to pour a can of Coke over the terminals.

Don't laugh -- it works. That will start up a vehicle that is dead from bad terminals sometimes.

Otherwise, times of high heat and humidity will often cause the sort of corrosion you are seeing. It is also hard on the battery. If the case of the battery is swelling (look visually) it is time to replace it. It is almost finished.

I manage a fleet of 38 vehicles, mostly Fords. I see this all day long.

Back