• Register Today It's free!

Problem with park

jimbo63

Reaction score
City, State
maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer sport trac
i have a 2007 sport trac limited ,after backing down a boat ramp I put my truck in park when I went to move my truck it wouldn't move out of park I eventually pulled it out of park and know my shifter is off ,park works reverse know lines up with neutral and drive know lines up with 3rd,any idea what happened and how I can fix this problem,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you use your parking brake? if so, does your parking brake hold the truck in place? if it's out of adjustment and not holding, thats not good, can put a lot of strain on the parking gear.

I'd say you either broke the shift linkage or it has slipped out of adjustment. put the shifter in park, then disconnect the shift cable/linkage from the transmission, and make sure the trans is in park by turning the lever on the side of the transmission. Then adjust the cable so the connector lines up to the transmission shift lever. Or you could just take it to a shop...

did you use your parking brake? if so, does your parking brake hold the truck in place? if it's out of adjustment and not holding, thats not good, can put a lot of strain on the parking gear.

I'd say you either broke the shift linkage or it has slipped out of adjustment. put the shifter in park, then disconnect the shift cable/linkage from the transmission, and make sure the trans is in park by turning the lever on the side of the transmission. Then adjust the cable so the connector lines up to the transmission shift lever. Or you could just take it to a shop...

What he said^^^^ I did that with my 2001 Sport, didn't realize my parking brake was out of adjustment while towing home a buddies car from Kentucky. Got to a gas station and when I went to move, everything was out of alignment. I had to realign the shift linkage and adjust the parking brake

I didn't use parking brake

Shifter lock out

I have a 2007 limited too. My shifter locked up.

At first I thought yours might have been the situation where the shifter wouldn't shift because of a control circuit board with the parking brake like mine had. I complained to the dealer on the first time, then they called me up because there was a "recall campaign" about it. A/T Shift Lever Circuit Board Replacement in 2010 09B11 because the shifter wouldn't shift out of park even if you were stepping on the brakes due to a bad circuit board. They replaced the board and have had no problems since.

But if you were on an incline without using the parking brake, all that pressure is put only on the transmission. Something broke or slipped. Hope you have it fixed now. :thumbsup:

Back