Problem with power locks not locking. Need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with power locks not locking. Need help!

Fightingirish45

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 sport trac
Recently I tried locking my doors from my driver side and noticed it wouldn't lock. The unlock switch works fine but now I can only lock doors from my remote lock on key chain. Fuse is fine and I briefly looked at wires but without knowing what I'm doing I don't wanna start ripping things apart. Wires and wire harness under door panel switch look to be ok. I saw on this forum people were having similar problems but when I joined it redirected to the current forum. Any help would be appreciated. I would really like to fix myself before I have to take it to the dealer.

On another note my neighbor works in a auto mall and told me it probably needs a Diagnostic check. Maybe he's right but I am leaning on the side or wiring issues instead of computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, hopefully someone else will.

I think you've simply got a switch that has gone bad. I've not taken one of ours apart but I have taken apart other switches. The brass contacts inside go bad, bent, corroded, etc. Not sure what is involved with disassembly and inspection, but used Explorer switches (the entire panel, so locks, 4 windows, child over-ride) are cheap enough to just consider going that route. For less than $20 shipped via ebay versus $90 an hour at a dealership. I think the 4 power window switches are one unit, then the lock switch itself is separate. If this is the case, you can try to swap drivers & passengers side and see if the trouble remains or follows. Lastly, before thinking about taking it to a dealership, consider a car stereo/alarm shop, where they deal with power lock circuits on a daily basis. Sorry I am of little help, but good luck.

I think you've simply got a switch that has gone bad. I've not taken one of ours apart but I have taken apart other switches. The brass contacts inside go bad, bent, corroded, etc. Not sure what is involved with disassembly and inspection, but used Explorer switches (the entire panel, so locks, 4 windows, child over-ride) are cheap enough to just consider going that route. For less than $20 shipped via ebay versus $90 an hour at a dealership. I think the 4 power window switches are one unit, then the lock switch itself is separate. If this is the case, you can try to swap drivers & passengers side and see if the trouble remains or follows. Lastly, before thinking about taking it to a dealership, consider a car stereo/alarm shop, where they deal with power lock circuits on a daily basis. Sorry I am of little help, but good luck.

Not at all, I appreciate the help. That's a good start I'm going to play around with it this weekend. Thanks. 1 question do I start by taking apart the door panel to get to the switches? Or just take off the area where my locks, childproof and windows are?

No need to remove the door panel, the switch assembly pops right up. Its held in place with tension only. Watch this video and at 2:30 / 3:00 you can see how the switch assembly pops out. View the entire video if you want to know how to remove the door panel in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbxpEC00cc

Messed around with it but not to much had to put new brake pads on first and I just realized with all the snow we are getting I have a leak in the ceiling. I believe it near my rear "running lights". Plus we have had to much weather to get much done. Will let you know though

Back