Problem with rear license plate bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with rear license plate bracket

DraftEdison

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
Has anyone changed or added anything to their rear license plate bracket? The bottom of the plate on my EX is vibrating and getting caught in the wind causing a rattling noise at highway speeds. Anyone know if you can swap out the rubber pieces that hold the plate with a different nut/bolt combo to keep the bottom half of the plate from moving? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps a sturdy frame around the plate would suffice, or, maybe add self stick rubber bumpers to back of plate or onto existing bumpers.

I added a nice stainless-steel frame to my license plate, and it required that I use four screws to hold it to the rear of my Explorer. I removed the factory rubber bumpers from the lower holes and replaced them with snap-in nylon inserts that accommodate license-plate screws. You can buy the snap-in inserts at any auto-parts store. BTW, I always use stainless-steel screws to attach my license plates. I hate seeing rusty streaks caused by cheap, corroding screws exposed to the elements -- especially winter road salt.

Exit32 how bad was it to get them out? Are they screwed in there? The rubber pieces. Can you snap a pic so I can get a better feel for what you did? Thanks all for the input.

Has anyone changed or added anything to their rear license plate bracket? The bottom of the plate on my EX is vibrating and getting caught in the wind causing a rattling noise at highway speeds. Anyone know if you can swap out the rubber pieces that hold the plate with a different nut/bolt combo to keep the bottom half of the plate from moving? Thanks
Found this using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Rear license plate hardware

Peter

Exit32 how bad was it to get them out? Are they screwed in there? The rubber pieces. Can you snap a pic so I can get a better feel for what you did? Thanks all for the input.

You can remove the factory rubber "bumpers" from the two lower license-plate holes by grasping each with your fingers and giving a tug. After removal, you'll see two square holes that are perfect to accommodate snap-in nylon inserts. You can keep the rubber bumpers (like I did) and put them back into your Explorer when it's time to trade it or sell it.

Here's a photo that shows my original rubber bumpers and the white snap-in nylon inserts I used to replace them. No tools or drilling required!

You can remove the factory rubber "bumpers" from the two lower license-plate holes by grasping each with your fingers and giving a tug. After removal, you'll see two square holes that are perfect to accommodate snap-in nylon inserts. You can keep the rubber bumpers (like I did) and put them back into your Explorer when it's time to trade it or sell it.

Here's a photo that shows my original rubber bumpers and the white snap-in nylon inserts I used to replace them. No tools or drilling required!

I had to do that on my '15. I don't know why they changed, but my '13 had all 4 instead of the rubber plugs. I was instantly annoyed by my license plate not being fully secure.

I added a nice stainless-steel frame to my license plate, and it required that I use four screws to hold it to the rear of my Explorer. I removed the factory rubber bumpers from the lower holes and replaced them with snap-in nylon inserts that accommodate license-plate screws. You can buy the snap-in inserts at any auto-parts store. BTW, I always use stainless-steel screws to attach my license plates. I hate seeing rusty streaks caused by cheap, corroding screws exposed to the elements -- especially winter road salt.
Do you have a link to the frame and the snap-in nylon inserts?

Back