Problem with rear passenger door.

styleless

Reaction score
City, State
Carson, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Hello all,
I have a 1994 4-door Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition that was hit in the passenger side rear door. The door will not open now, but the window still rolls up and down. I have a door to replace it with, so I wanted to know if there was a way to get the door open so that I can replace it with the other door?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won't open from either side I presume.It might be locked and the lock rod is knocked off,you should be able to remove the door panel and see what's going on.Should....and if you can it will be a bear to do I imagine.Of course if the new door panel matches then beat the old panel to pieces and take a look inside.:D

Since you have a door to replace it with, I would recommend a sawzall

Since you have a door to replace it with, I would recommend a sawzall

Sawzall from the outside will preseve the Door panel. from there you will see how the mechanics of the door latch works.

I'd suggest the angle grinder instead of the sawzall. It's going to be very difficult to sawzall the skin off the door without mangling what's inside.

Just cut a square out where the lock mechansim is and pull the rod. Depending on how smashed the door is the problem may not be the latch but that it has become jammed on the pin or in the opening. In that case, you're just going to have to resort to general (careful) destruction of the door.

Back