• Register Today It's free!

Problem with steering 93 XLT

specdude

Reaction score
City, State
Thunder Bay Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
When I turn the wheel from left or right it seems to hit an obstruction ( like a hump or an area of resistance) in the middle when the tires are straight. End result is truck gets pulled to left or right.I have to keep compensating to keep it straight. Any ideas?? gearbox?? alignment???

it happens when driving and parked.Scary to drive I'll tell you that! lol

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...a little out of my area of expertise (cause I don't really have one lol) but maybe a 4x4 engagement issue?

Do you have auto or manual hubs?

Have you ever replaced any steering components ever?

When was the last time you got an alignment done?

Sorry for playing 20 questions with you but it helps to kind of narrow down what the problem might be.

Hmm...a little out of my area of expertise (cause I don't really have one lol) but maybe a 4x4 engagement issue?

Do you have auto or manual hubs?

Have you ever replaced any steering components ever?

When was the last time you got an alignment done?

Sorry for playing 20 questions with you but it helps to kind of narrow down what the problem might be.

haven't used 4x4 engagement in years because it hasn't worked(shift motor? not sure, but no reaction when dashboard button fo high range pressed)

auto hubs

never replaced any steering components

never had alignment done

Well it seems like there could be a laundry list of potential problems. I guess one of the easiest things to try is jack up the front and see if you can get the wheel to spin free.
With my limited knowledge I'm thinking that if it doesn't spin it could mean your hub engaged and won't disengage (someone smarter than me feel free to chime in if I'm completely off here).

And I know that your balljoints and tie rods cannot possibly be happy at almost 20 years old. Have you ever greased them? If they've never been greased either they could definitely be the source of your problem. Get underneath and try to wiggle the steering drag link and see if there is a lot of play. If you can it would be ideal to jack up the front and get a helper to move the wheel left and right and see if you can notice anything "off".
Just don't use anything that might move as a jacking point!

Would also be worth inspecting your pitman arm and power steering box just to see if you can't find any obvious cracks or defects.

Well it seems like there could be a laundry list of potential problems. I guess one of the easiest things to try is jack up the front and see if you can get the wheel to spin free.
With my limited knowledge I'm thinking that if it doesn't spin it could mean your hub engaged and won't disengage (someone smarter than me feel free to chime in if I'm completely off here).

And I know that your balljoints and tie rods cannot possibly be happy at almost 20 years old. Have you ever greased them? If they've never been greased either they could definitely be the source of your problem. Get underneath and try to wiggle the steering drag link and see if there is a lot of play. If you can it would be ideal to jack up the front and get a helper to move the wheel left and right and see if you can notice anything "off".

Would also be worth inspecting your pitman arm and power steering box just to see if you can't find any obvious cracks or defects.

THANKS! ok will report back this afternoon after some checking.

Cheers!

well the wheel turned freely when i jacked it up. Everything is solid underneath.

Had buddy turn wheels on ground from left to right while i watched underneath. everything is smooth until wheels are straight and it hits that resistance area and you can hear the steering system strain to move forward then back to normal as wheels head to other extreme.

Could it simply be that an alignment would fix it? seems the problem would only be noticeable when moving if it were an alignment issue? color me confused<g>

Boy...ok...hmm. My best guess is maybe the sector output shaft is worn out?

There is a shaft that comes out of the bottom of the steering pump/box (not 100% on my terminology) and it has teeth on it that the pitman arm slides onto. The pitman arm then connects down to the drag link. My only thought is if some of the sector shaft teeth are worn down the pump is working hard to overcome the slack in the system before getting the wheels to move again.

This is a really long shot kinda guess. I definitely wouldn't get an alignment until you identify the problem. The reason being that if you end up having to replace anything else (ball joints, tie rods, etc) you will have to get another alignment. No need to throw your money away, you know?

I'm really hoping someone else chimes in here cause I'm trying but I'm not totally in my element.

Boy...ok...hmm. My best guess is maybe the sector output shaft is worn out?

There is a shaft that comes out of the bottom of the steering pump/box (not 100% on my terminology) and it has teeth on it that the pitman arm slides onto. The pitman arm then connects down to the drag link. My only thought is if some of the sector shaft teeth are worn down the pump is working hard to overcome the slack in the system before getting the wheels to move again.

This is a really long shot kinda guess. I definitely wouldn't get an alignment until you identify the problem. The reason being that if you end up having to replace anything else (ball joints, tie rods, etc) you will have to get another alignment. No need to throw your money away, you know?

I'm really hoping someone else chimes in here cause I'm trying but I'm not totally in my element.

not a bad guess,:)

My feeling it is a problem in the gear box as well.

But some more opinions would be helpful! changing that gearbox is pricey and painful from the looks of it lol

Check your tire pressure...My 93 was acting similar to yours suddenly after having it in an oil change. Put it back to 35 psi and drives like new.

Check your tire pressure...My 93 was acting similar to yours suddenly after having it in an oil change. Put it back to 35 psi and drives like new.

I can't see this has having major impact?

anyways just had tire valves fixed last few months and tires are well inflated with lots of tread.

Cheers!

It's worth double checking, especially if someone else did the work on your tires.

My X couldn't stay straight going on the highway. I would have to pry my hands from the steering wheel after short drives on the highway. I was very surprised that going from 26 to 35 psi would have such an impact. And air is still cheap!!

Good luck

Sounds like the steering box is broken or the coupler to the steering shaft is starting to loosen.

We had another guy not too long ago have the same exact issue and he kept driving it. I would do a quick search on the website for steering shaft problems.

Sounds like the steering box is broken or the coupler to the steering shaft is starting to loosen.

We had another guy not too long ago have the same exact issue and he kept driving it. I would do a quick search on the website for steering shaft problems.

steering shaft is 95-2001 model if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

No there is still a sector output shaft. He is referencing the shaft going from the pump to the pitman arm. Our 1st gens def have one. If you can see a crack in yours it might be the source of the prob?

Not sure on the diagnosis but positive ours has that shaft.

No there is still a sector output shaft. He is referencing the shaft going from the pump to the pitman arm. Our 1st gens def have one. If you can see a crack in yours it might be the source of the prob?

Not sure on the diagnosis but positive ours has that shaft.

ok I will check it out. It must be a part of the gearbox. It only sticks out a bit where it connects to pitman arm.

Ya, you won't be able to see a lot of the shaft sticking out. There's a pretty large nut on there covering up a lot of it.

I believe the thread that 1AJeremy is referencing the guy's pitman arm cracked, but I can't remember. I know I've seen cracked pitman arms on here as well as cracked sector shafts. Either problem isn't great to have :(. But just saying you might want to check the pitman arm all the way around to make sure it's in good condition.

Ya, you won't be able to see a lot of the shaft sticking out. There's a pretty large nut on there covering up a lot of it.

I believe the thread that 1AJeremy is referencing the guy's pitman arm cracked, but I can't remember. I know I've seen cracked pitman arms on here as well as cracked sector shafts. Either problem isn't great to have :(. But just saying you might want to check the pitman arm all the way around to make sure it's in good condition.

ok will do. Once it stops snowing! damn winter won't let go.

Disconnect the end of the pitman arm so the steering box is no longer connected to system. Or disconnect the tie rods, either way. Try turning it again. If the problem is there, it is in the steering box or earlier. If it disappears then the problem is in the wheels. If it is in the wheels, try one tie rod, then the other. That should narrow it down to the wheel. I'd do all this with it sitting on the ground, not jacked up, so you have true conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the end of the pitman arm so the steering box is no longer connected to system. Or disconnect the tie rods, either way. Try turning it again. If the problem is there, it is in the steering box or earlier. If it disappears then the problem is in the wheels. If it is in the wheels, try one tie rod, then the other. That should narrow it down to the wheel. I'd do all this with it sitting on the ground, not jacked up, so you have true conditions.

good tip . Thanks.

Do I need some special tool to release the pitman arm? I assume this it? http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=68&ty=45

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=86&ty=87

Back