Problem with steering 93 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with steering 93 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pitman arm puller..
thanks.

I 'm thinking it would be easiest just to unbolt the pitman arm from the drag link to test it. Does that make sense?

Good news! jiggled on power steering high pressure hose and steering went back to normal.

Bad news is I've got knocking from engine during first few minutes of startup and it smokes from area around back side near spark plug(leaky valve cover gasket?). Oh well guess I'll start a new thread for that. lol

Cheers!

Good news! jiggled on power steering high pressure hose and steering went back to normal.

Bad news is I've got knocking from engine during first few minutes of startup and it smokes from area around back side near spark plug(leaky valve cover gasket?). Oh well guess I'll start a new thread for that. lol

Cheers!

man the valve cover bolts were scary loose. Glad I checked. problem solved.

well the tie rod end on the driver's side finally showed itself as coming loose.

Could this be enough to cause my problem?

Any good tutorials on how to replace a tie rod end on 1st gen?

Thanks!

well the tie rod end on the driver's side finally showed itself as coming loose.

Could this be enough to cause my problem?

Any good tutorials on how to replace a tie rod end on 1st gen?

Thanks!

well found tie rod replacement instructions in Haynes manual looks pretty straightforward.

tie rods are easy, but if you dont count rotations then youll havta have it aligned. a fd up tie rod can cause that tire not to turn as your turning the wheel, new rod, better steering response.

Maybe the tie rod is only a symptom of the real problem.

I put it up blocks and took VIDEOS. Anyone got any ideas? there is some binding when I turn the wheels then the u-joints turn(should the u-joints been turning it all?) and continues. 4x4 hasn't been working for years but maybe its somehow been engaged? maybe u-joints? hubs??

th_MVI_0971_WMVV9.jpg

th_MVI_0970_WMVV9.jpg

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m500/explorerprobs/

Help!

After watching the video's you can see the very noticeable jerk in the steering.

Auto Hubs? Perhaps are engaging the four wheel drive and when they disengage it jerks?

After watching the video's you can see the very noticeable jerk in the steering.

Auto Hubs? Perhaps are engaging the four wheel drive and when they disengage it jerks?

Yes, Auto hubs. I think I'll put it up on blocks again, take the wheels off and the hub covers and then see what happens when I turn the wheel.

I assume without the covers there will be no 4x4 engagement.

Yes, Auto hubs. I think I'll put it up on blocks again, take the wheels off and the hub covers and then see what happens when I turn the wheel.

I assume without the covers there will be no 4x4 engagement.

well my steering is serious f'd now.:(

I can't get hub covers flush which leads me to believe i need to repack/replace both hubs? ugh what a mess!

th_MVI_0973_WMVV9.jpg

th_MVI_0972_WMVV9.jpg

I have had 2 things do thid to me in previous years. Loose steering components magnified it. Front axle joint. U joint was dried out and rusted to teh point it didn't allow free rotation. second extremely loose wheel bearings.

I have had 2 things do thid to me in previous years. Loose steering components magnified it. Front axle joint. U joint was dried out and rusted to the point it didn't allow free rotation. second extremely loose wheel bearings.

thanks for info. I was thinking the bearings might be the issue. Especially now when the outer hub assembly won't sit flush on both sides.

Was it inner or outer bearings or both?

If I have play in the wheel I replace both. I think the inner was the worst.

If I have play in the wheel I replace both. I think the inner was the worst.

ok thanks. Looks like there is alot of work to get this front end in shape. guess I'll take the outer bearings off to see what is going on in there.

When I turn the wheel from left or right it seems to hit an obstruction ( like a hump or an area of resistance) in the middle when the tires are straight. End result is truck gets pulled to left or right.I have to keep compensating to keep it straight. Any ideas?? gearbox?? alignment???

it happens when driving and parked.Scary to drive I'll tell you that! lol

thanks

Wellll turned out to be ceased up U-joints. had u-joints(had to be cut off with a torch lol) replaced and new brake pads installed. Steering still feels kinda loose but driveable at least.

Back