Problem with the Rear anti-lock light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with the Rear anti-lock light

fordyouth

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
I have a problem with my 91 XL, When I first got it my rear anti-lock light came on so I decided to replace the sensor, but even after that it still comes on when I start the vechical and when I drive it. Any sugestions what else it could be or anyways of fixing it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a problem with my 91 XL, When I first got it my rear anti-lock light came on so I decided to replace the sensor, but even after that it still comes on when I start the vechical and when I drive it. Any sugestions what else it could be or anyways of fixing it

probably the valve on the frame rail. ignore the problem, your unlikely to feel any increased braking performance with it working.

When was the last time you replaced all the fluid? If your fluid is very old, it could be contaminated enough with moisture that it's fooling the sensor into thinking that the pressure is low. Moisture in brake fluid lowers the specific density of the fluid, making the pressure sensor read wrong.

As for the RABS not affecting the brake performance, that's dead wrong. My old '92 Sport had the problem I mentioned above, and braking on a curve in the rain was a major adventure without the RABS. I swapped ends on several occasions until I got my issues resolved.

I've never had to do it, but I understand that the RABS computer has a limited number of trouble codes it can put out. It would seem to me a good place to start would be to retrieve that trouble code and see what problem the computer is seeing. I've seen the basic procedure outlined in Haynes/Chiltons, and I also recall that most years, the RABS computer doesn't have any kind of memory so you have to retrieve the trouble code while the light is on and the fault is present.

I'm in the "don't worry about it" camp. Mine stopped working and always ran the light almost 2 years ago. At first I just lived with it. Then I put a piece of elecrical tape over the light. Recently I took off the guage cluster and removed the light bulb.

RABS light?

Went through the whole range of possible solutions with mine. My light came on and stayed on regardless of what I did. Usually I start with the cheapest and easiest fixes and graduate to the hardest and most expensive. As it turned out, I wasted a lot of time. My master control module was faulty, to the tune of about $350! With that part malfunctioning, my brakes were very spongy. Glad I replaced it, but definitely don't ignore it. RABS is on your truck for a reason!

i have a 91 eddie bauer and the abs light would be on almost 80% of the time after bleeding my brake the problem went away

Back