Problem with VB Rebuild, ALL HELP Appreciated.d | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with VB Rebuild, ALL HELP Appreciated.d

tricked04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB SOHC
I had delayed reverse and 2nd to 3rd flair (very bad flair)

I ordered the new Ford VB plate, ECC, bracket and also the sonnax valve, and the superior kit.

On the superior kit I ended up only using the epc update and the sonnax valve spring area update. I couldn't get out the mid bore plug (coast clutch thingy) so I didn't do that update. I removed that spring with silver plug and left all 4 balls and the spring with black plug. I also did not drill larger holes because I didn't know if the new Ford plate needed these.

The good: Reverse works awesome, goes in within milliseconds of selecting it.

The Bad, real bad: When put in drive the tranny starts off in 3rd gear than 4th and I don't think it goes into OD. IT DOES go into manual first and second when those gears are selected with the lever.

I figured I did something wrong any ideas would be more than helpful!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update, it now starts in 2nd when in drive, but never will go into first when in Drive, but runs great in First when put into it manually. Reverse is awesome.

PLEASE HELP!!

Well... since this is a new concern I will omit sensor inputs, but they top the list to check... DTR adjustment is a possible..... only if that was moved, otherwise probably not. We are also looking at all the solenoids, loss of O ring or O ring damage....also the rebuild putting a part in wrong. What did you use to torque the VB? How careful were you? No cheating with a ft lb torque wrench remember !

Much as I hate to say it ...I bet if you redid the VB rebuild carefully you might find something wrong. We have all been there, it is nothing against you.

I do believe your right about doing the rebuild again. I was careful with the torque (snap-on inch lb). All that dang fluid!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't want to think about it. At least my left cat will come off nice and easy (that took 3 hours).

The Meat and Potatoes:

1. Saying I redo all of it, what other solenoids should I test and how?

2. Should I try and do the superior coast clutch mod, and if so how do I remove it, I couldn't when I had it out the first time.

3. How important is it that both mating surfaces mounting to the vb gaskets are dry? Reason I ask I know my tranny was wet with tranny fluid (where the vb gasket mounts to the tranny)

4. The holes I didn't drill, was that a bad mistake?

5. DTR adjustment???

Anyother pointers I would be more than glad to listen too. Maybe doing this we can find something that pins down some of the problems with these trannies.

Other Note: I almost forgot since I haven't driven my truck for over a month since the tranny problem, but remebered when test driving it. There is a random clicking from the rear end at random speeds usually I think only on accleration, but not sure. Than vibrations kick in at 60 and I'm talking pretty wicked vibrations. U-joints? or something else?

bump to Glacier, any thoughts on my last post? You might have to start charging per post you could have a business here!

In reverse order ... your vinration has a high probability of being U joint related.

The Transmission range sensor is that black gizmo where the shifter enters the case. If that got loose or was monkeyed with you might have some issues. I doubt that is your problem, honestly.

Drilling the holes or not is not a big issue and unrelated to your problems... The bigger issue for me usually is how BIG to drill them. If you are in there again I'd consider drilling them.

Dry mating surfaces for the VB gasket is not a critical item. I often use vaseline to hold them in alignment.

The Coast clutch mod is not likely your problem. That bore is a *****...sometimes. Sometimes you can fabricate a bent wire to enter the VB from the top and push that little mid bore ******* out of there. If it is a problem, leave it be. Do not f*&k up that bore.

Test all solenoids. The procedure and values are in the 5R55E VB Rebuild Diary. I am guessing you may have a solenoid problem as the root cause. I'd suspect SSA as your bad boy, failed off somehow. (Did you remember to plug the harness back on it?)

Lets pray I just left a harness undone, probaly not, but lets hope. If one of those reasons is why my tranny won't work, I'm paypaling you $20.

I did try to get out that bore for the coast clutch mod, of course I couldn't get it out. In the process I don't believe I disrupted it but how can I tell if it is in proper working order if I reopen my VB?

I'd not obsess about the Coast clutch valve or bore. Explore what I have described and we can talk about a loaner VB as a check.

Alright, Going to work those issues after work tommorow. Will update late tomorrow or Thursday.
Thanks Again

Think about a pan drain plug <g>.

Back