Problem with wiring fog switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with wiring fog switch

I was installing fog lights today, and I'm using a stock switch but am having some problems with the wiring. On my radio bezel there is a plug plugged into a dummy plug where the fog light switch would be if I had one. I'm assuming that is the fog light plug that would be functional if I had them. So I use the wiring on the switch as a guide to wiring my new switch. One wire was black which I'm assuming is the ground? And one wire is bigger than the rest on the plug so I'm assuming that is the power? Now hooking up the switch using that it didn't work right. The indicator light was always on when the ignition was on, not just when the switch was turned on. And I couldn't get the accessory light to be powered by the accessory wire I had.

This is how I have it wired so far. I am using the ground wire on the fog plug as my ground. The power wire is tapped into the wiper motor power wire. (I want independent control of my fogs whether the headlights are on or not.) And the accessory light wire is tapped into the wire for the light in the ash tray.

Wired like this the indicator light is always on and I don't get any accessory lighting.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fog light wiring harness? I hope this all makes some sense.

Back