Problems after replacing the left timing chain tension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems after replacing the left timing chain tension

and117

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
When I had changed the chain tension and started the car, there was no rattling.
But when I then drove a longer distance began the rattle more than before.
Is it possible to mount it wrong?
At the same time, I got error code 1409 for the EGR could that be related?

Ford Explorer 1997 XLT SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced mine not to long ago and no I did not see a way you could it wrong. Are you sure you fully seated the chain tensioner for that side? Did you pull the tensioner pin for the jack shaft chain tensioner?

What do you mean with “pull the tensioner pin for the jack shaft chain tensioner”
I removed the upper intake manifolder and replaced the old chain tension. It was not quite the same as the new one. It looked like the lower chain tensioner. Could that cause the problem?

The new tensioner should look like the old one, not like the right side one. There seem to be places selling the wrong one these days. And many of the replacements are worse than the stock tensioners.

More likely you had part of the chain guide come apart when you had the tensioner out.

What do you mean with “pull the tensioner pin for the jack shaft chain tensioner”
:eek::eek:

Actually, nowhere do you say that you replaced the jack shaft chain.

The pin referred to holds the tensioner for the jack shaft together until it's installed then the pin is removed allowing the tensioner to operate.

I started the car today again and it probably something happened when I installed the new chain tension. Is it possible to open the front cover and replace the cassette if it broken without any special tools?

I started the car today again and it probably something happened when I installed the new chain tension. Is it possible to open the front cover and replace the cassette if it broken without any special tools?

Only if you know what the term "Otto Cycle" means.
If you have to look it it up then no.

You need a special tool to keep the camshaft still and align the camshaft.
There are ways do it without th
e tools but you really need to know what you're doing, if you get it wrong you can trash the engine.

The short answer is that you need the OTC 6488 kit to replace the cassettes.

You will also need to clean any stray broken plastic bits out of the oil pan, pickup, and anywhere else they may be. Keep in mind that some of those bolts (like the crank damper bolt) are torque to yield and can't be reused.

replaced left tensioner

I'm assuming that you mean the spring/hydraulic piston when you use the term tensioner. The left (driver side) improved design incorporated in 2002 and later is slightly longer than the right (passenger side) tensioner and much longer than the original left tensioner because of the added barrel at the end.
BWTens.jpg

The left and right tensioners have different part numbers and are not interchangeable although the old left looks very similar to the old right. If you installed the right tensioner in the left position if will place less tension on the chain guide. If you installed one without the barrel it is either the old style or the passenger side one. The springs in the new tensioners are often weaker than the old tensioners so the chain will be noisy until oil pressure is up to normal. Many aftermarket tensioners and associated components sold on eBay are just junk. See SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

Thank you for the picture, that one that I install was looked like the left one and the old one nearly like the right one. Can you recommend some seller on eBay? It seems like I must buy more parts.

can't recommend

Sorry, but I can't recommend a seller. Even the new OEM tensioners now come with weak springs. I had start up chain rattle after replacing my timing chain related components with OEM parts so I installed a pre-oiler.

Pre oiler? Color me intrigued! What, how, and how much? Pictures?

Back