Problems after timing chain replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems after timing chain replacement

craigssvt

Reaction score
City, State
kernersville
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddie
2002 explorer 4.0 SOHC. replaced timing chains and guides. also at the same time engine gasket set, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter. i used the timing tool to set the cams to the crank. at start up, very rough idle no power at all, will not pull itself out of the driveway(bogs down). scan tool says no misfire but cylinder contribution is -150 on entire bank 2 (#4,#5,#6). smells extremely rich. tore down to expose the cams and installed the tool and both cams are in the correct position. plugs aregaped to .054 and wires are ford. no vacuum leaks canbe heard but there is a tapping sound coming from the intake itself. (block, heads and valve covers are quiet. iremoved the intake and plugs and scoped the cylinders to insure that no debris had found its way into any cylinders. installed a spare intake with new seals and tapping remains. the truck ran perfect before i replaced the timing chains just had the rattle from a broken rear guide. is there some trick to setting the timing with thetool that i'm missing? this is my first time. thanks. Ps.. I did time the engine when the engine was out and then bought the tool and timed the engine in the truck. 80psi on the entire left bank do I need to remove the engine again and start from scratch or does it matter the jack shaft poison prior to setting the cams?

Back