Problems when atmospheric temperature is above 40 degree centigrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems when atmospheric temperature is above 40 degree centigrade

shoaibce

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I have Ford Explorer 2006. Engine V6
The problem starts when outside atmospheric temperature is above 40 desgree C. After travelling 20-30 kilometers, the following problem starts:
1. Upon pressing the accelarator, there is very loud sound (like storm wind blowing) possibly radiator fan goes to very high speed. During this period, vehicle does not pick up speed properly. After few seconds, fan sound is normal. But this phnomenon is repaeated continuously.

2. After travelling another 5-10 kilometers, engine begins loosing power, jerky movement of vehicle (accelerates, decelerates, accelerates, decelarates). Especially if there is some upward road slope, vehicle moves very slow upwards even more pressing the accelerator.

3. After that, if brake is applied and then relaesed (as at traffic signal) vehicel picks up at very very slow speed and sometimes even engine is stalled. Once engine stalled, it restarts, after about 2 minutes. Then this Stalling and restarting continues.

4. After providing a rest of 2-3 hours, vehicel goes to step-1 i.e. can move smoothly again for 15-20 kilometers.

5. In winter when atmospheric temperature is around 15-20 degree C, there is no problem on plain area roads even travelling hundreds of kilometers except travelling for long time (50-100 kilometers) on upward slpoing hilly road where same problem may start.

Wiring checked by local ford workshop and it is ok
Fuel filter, spark plugs are replaced
Fuel Vent solenoid and Purge solenoid valves replaced
Engine oil, Autotransmission oil changed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you give us some geographic hints to your location? I"m assuming by the fact that "winter" is 15-20 deg. C, that you are in the middle east or central/south america?

I'm also assuming that you changed the air filter? It sounds like it could be starved for air, as if it had inhaled a lot of sand in a desert.

It also could be that the transmission is overheating from driving up and down hills like you would see in central america.

You said that Ford Checked the wiring. This is key: Did they check the wiring on a day when it was hotter than 40 C? My dad had a solder joint come loose on a car that would cause a fault when the engine was above 90 deg. C, but when the engine was cool in the dealer's shop, the fault went away.

Another possibility is your catalytic converter and/or oxygen sensors.

My location is Saudi Arabia.

Air Filter is recently changed. But anyway I am generally driving in the city where air is generally free of sand.

Wiring was checked recently and temperature is high even nights are 35-40 degree C.

What might be reason for Transmission overheating (if it is the cause)

Unless your car is overheating, i would suggest your fan clutch is going bad. That is normal for fan clutch to increase speed when pressing the gas pedal since pcm is demanding to cool down the system specially with that ambient temp being high. If that noise for you seems disturbing or unbearable, try replacing the fan clutch and see if it help.

Can you get a scanner to read the engine and transmission temps? I have a feeling the transmission is overheating.

If it is, you can install an auxiliary cooler.

It is not trans or engine overheating issue. I have installed aux fan to my ex and still does that noise everytime with ac is on and ambient temp above 38 deg c. I even replaced the thermostat twice for no luck. I didn't change my fan clutch since the new fan and my old fan had the same resistance when i try spinning it. As i said earlier, unless your temp gauge is showing normal, don't worry bout it.

Back