• Register Today It's free!

Problems with 2020/2021 Explorer

LAXbrian24

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone, new to the forum and was interested in getting a new explorer XLT 4wd. I had a 2014 ford fusion with 97k miles and not one issue other than the carpet started to coming up on one corner. Also a 2017 ford F250 with no issues. I decided I wanted to get an SUV and seeing the explorer was having issues with the transmission at the time I was looking for a new vehicle, I decided to pick up a 2020 Highlander few months back. Figured "Its a Toyota, it'll be reliable." Lets just say it's been a complete disaster since. Ran into problems not even 2 weeks in, and now my gas tank doesn't want to fill to full, only 3/4. Plus all the rattles and wind noise from the sun roof is annoying!

My question with the ford explorer, have the issues kind of been figured out since the 2021s are now out or are people still having transmission issues that are unsolved by ford? I see there has been recalls but I also see people are still having problems with the transmission. Were the issues happening to only certain vehicle build dates?

Any information on the issues with the ford explorers would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Brian. :wave:
It appears that transmission issues are still ongoing. I don't believe any member has a 2021 Explorer yet but a few are on order.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Brian. :wave:
It appears that transmission issues are still ongoing. I don't believe any member has a 2021 Explorer yet but a few are on order.

Peter
Thank you for the info! Would you happen to know or have you heard if the most recent build dates for the 2020s are having the issues? Or is it just the older build dates that are still on going.

Sorry, I don't know if the issues are/were date-specific or not. There are 5 threads on "transmission issues" that I found with the Forum's 'Search' feature. You can check them but I don't believe many posters actually mentioned when their vehicles were built.

Peter

Mine was built in November of 2019 and had a transmission issue at 8000 miles. Ended up being the transmission cooler that was replaced under warranty. Are you near LAX?

My Platinum Explorer was built in July 2019, approximately 9000+ miles no issues.
TBill

When you open the drivers door there is a sticker with the month and year on it that is the build date.

Did you look on the B pillar? That is where mine is. There is also a date on the window sticker if you that.

Checked that already. Nothing there.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Per the, above many vehicles have the Window Sticker thrown in the vehicle when it is bought. Have you checked the glove box? Perhaps the dealer may still have it.

Did you look on the B pillar? That is where mine is. There is also a date on the window sticker if you that.
I have no idea what the b pillar is but i do have the window sticker. I'l check that. Thanks.

I have no idea what the b pillar is but i do have the window sticker. I'l check that. Thanks.
The 'B' pillar is the part where the Securicode is located. It has the receiving part of the door lock mechanism catch. In other words, the center body part separating the front and rear doors. This may help with the build date; Window sticker mumbo jumbo

Peter

Finally remembered to look for the build date again. Nothing on door. Nothing on the B piller. Couldn't find it on the window sticker. Any other ideas?

Finally remembered to look for the build date again. Nothing on door. Nothing on the B piller. Couldn't find it on the window sticker. Any other ideas?

Here's a picture of the window sticker with the build date circled.

Inked20201121_155357_LI.jpg

You might want to check with your dealer. Every vehicle made should have the build sticker some where. This is what mine looks like. It is located down low on the B pillar when you open the drivers door.

Inked20201110_125811_LI.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go here: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=

put your VIN number in the header of the page (top window of your browser) after the = sign. It will bring up your window sticker and the build date will be on the bottom lower right edge.

TBill

I am getting this for my VIN. I do have the sticker in the B pillar but just wanted to get the window sticker but looks like according to Ford, my vehicle was never built. I checked multiple times to make sure I entered the VIN correctly.

1606074116112.png

Back