Problems with ford ranger v8 Swap need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with ford ranger v8 Swap need help

Big Boy Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford ranger
Good Afternoon everyone, I was referred to make an account on here from a good friend of mine so please bare with me as this is my first engine swap ever.

I got the engine, transmission and used a advanced adapter to mate my 1350 BW to my 4r70w. Engine in running great other then I do not have an exhaust or o2 sensors yet so my engine does not want to throttle up and hesitates. My main problem is with the transmission. I have a explorer 5.0 engine, a 4r70w transmission, stock ranger 1350BW tcase, a 97 computer and a 99 wiring harness. I cant get the transmission to shift at all. I connected the VSS on the rear axle to pin 58 and the OSS on my ranger tcase to pin 84 and then grounded the other wire (1 each) per the sensor. I found that if I unplug the TRS (transmission ranger sensor) the car will shift into second gear but it does not feel right at all. There is no noises coming from the transmission and fluid looks awesome when I pulled the pan. I am completely stuck and would appreciate any and all help; I have not been able to find any information on this topic.

-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using a 99 wiring harness for the engine and transmission? There were differences in the wiring between 97 and 99, especially in the trans wiring harness.

Yes I am using the 99 wiring harnes for both the engine and transmission. What would you recommend doing? Do you know what I have to repin?

But the harness and transmission came out of the same vehicle.

The 97 and 99 PCM have some wiring differences, you would have to look at the C202 connector for the 97 and the 99 to see which wires may need added, or swapped around. I would have to look at both to see what differences there are.

Thanks for the info. After reading over that entire thread people are saying you can swap it but are giving no results as to actually making it work. Still completely lost, appreciate all help with this issue. Really need the truck up and running asap!

Some of the transmission control wires are in different locations between the 97 and 99 PCM, also the 97 had a gear driven speed sensor I believe in the transmission, or in the transfer case, where as the 99 doesn't, so even if you rewire the PCM connector unless you have that speed sensor in the trans or transfer case, your speedometer wouldn't work.

Basically though you need to rewire the 99 C202 connector to match the 97 PCM, so you will have to move a few wires around in the connector, then the transmission should shift normally.

Okay I see the difference between the 97 and 99 harness. My only question is where do I put shift solenoids 1-4 at for my 97 ecu. From my understanding of post 27 the dtr is in the right spot and those 4 wires would be the only thing preventing the trans from operating.

Bump. Really need help please

I will have to look at them both and compare, I will try. However the 97 PCM will most likely still need a tune, being as it is programmed for a return style fuel system, versus the 99 returnless fuel system, it would be easier to just use the 99 PCM and have PATS tuned out, or just swap the PATS B components from the 99 donor into your ranger.

I will have to look at them both and compare, I will try. However the 97 PCM will most likely still need a tune, being as it is programmed for a return style fuel system, versus the 99 returnless fuel system.

Yes you will run lean with a 97 computer on a 99 harness and computer. I would swap to a 97 harness and return fuel system to make things way easier.

You will have to do a slight rewire to mate the 97 harness to a 99 transmission. You also need a output speed sensor for the 97 computer to operate which no harness 98+ has. Your transfer case might have the sensor needed.

Yes that would work also, and being as your 94 Ranger was return style to begin with it shouldn't be to difficult. You could go either way.

Are you using an earlier BW1350 or the Rangers BW1354 that it came with? It seems the 94 BW1354 would have the speed sensor in it.

I gave up trying to repin and just made everything in my setup match a 97 1/2 , now it is external egr, return fuel, non PATS, p-heads, I also swaped the tranny out for a 97 along with the t-case with a VSS ,

You can keep the 99 trans with the 97 computer and harness, but you will have to get the vss signal from the t-case for it to shift right. 98+ trans are better and stronger anyway.

I have a returning fuel system on there right now. I am using the 1354 with the vss in the tcase. I have wired it in and there is still no shifting. I am also confused as to why I would run lean with a 97 computer? Thinking about buying a usshift controller. Any thoughts?

I believe you said that you have a '97 PCM and a '99 harness and transmission. What model year 5.0L engine do you have?

Between the engine, transmission, PCM, fuel systems and harness you are going to have to create a common workable combination. The two groups are '96-'97 and '98-'01. Everything is going to have to fit into one of those configurations.

A '97 PCM is not going to work with a '99 engine without a 'tune' and a '99 PCM invokes the dreaded PATS which will not work at all without a 'tune'. Tunes are $250 to $400. The early series had fuel rail 45psi regulation and a return line to the tank. The later series had tank mounted regulation and no return and operated at 65psi. And you can't just swap out the injectors because the harness connectors are different.

I have a rebuilt engine with gt40p heads and intake. I do have a 45 psi fuel system with the returning line to the fuel tank. My main problem is I can't get the transmission to shift and there is no where that says excatly what is needed for the transmission to work. If I were to go with let's so a c4, c6, or even a aod. Will my car still run or will it go into limp mode since the tranmission will not be communicating with the ecu.

The transmission you have in there is better than all of those listed. The pic below is from my swap, 97 harness and 98 transmission pigtail. I used a 97 harness with a 98 transmission. The wiring is different and is where your issue must be. The 97 harness has 2 more wires that are not in the 98, not sure about the 99. The passenger side valve body plugs are also pinned different between the years.
rps20140603_172153.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back