Problems With installing SUPERCHIP-----HELP PLEASE!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems With installing SUPERCHIP-----HELP PLEASE!!!

Ru Dawg

Reaction score
City, State
Wyomissing, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey guys and gals...tried to install my superchip yesterday...things went well until I slapped it on the ECU...It didn't line up flush with the box...there was about a 1/4" gap between the chip and the ECU! So, this gap did not allow me to mount the ECU were it belong fully...Anyone ever come across this? Did they send me the wrong size chip? The codes matched up...FIG2, but the dag gone thing wouldn't go back in on the bolts like it should? I plan on calling Gene at Performance Ford tommorrow and discussing this little problem with him!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same thing happen with my jet chip. I think.. when I installed the chip.. it wouldnt bolt back on the bracket... I forget what I did... but its half in the bracket... and I think tape was involved. :) Accoding to the pictures of the explorer installation.. its supposed to be perfect. oh well...

nick

chip install

Ru Dawg:, not sure where the ecu is on a '95 but,on my '99,it's on the firewall on the pass side,not sure what you are describing,are you sure the chip is right side up,where the chip is flush with the ecu,or are you saying that the ecu,with the chip installed won't slide all the way back in (chip hits the back of dash),if this is the case,you may be able to break the plastic divider in the ecu bay,so the chip will slide all the way back,so when the
plate is installed theres no space for dirt or cold winter air to get in. on my '99,I could not do this,there was metal
notches that could not be broken,and I had to make a spacer out of compressed foam to seal the ecu,
good luck,

I don't know how the Superchip works, but my Hypertech chip came with a gasket to fill in the space created between the firewall and plastic cover. With the gasket, it fits perfectly.

I had the same problem with my 2000, when I tried to install my Superchip it stuck out from the module about 1/4". This prevented the module from sliding all the way back in. A quick call to Chris at Smarty Parts and he said this is not uncommon as Ford uses different module manufactures which have different size boards inside them. I placed a 1/4" piece of wood between the back of the module and the chip then used duct tape to secure the chip to the module. After installing the module I still had a gap between the firewall and the rubber gasket for the module. For this I picked up some 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" air conditioner sealing foam from Home Depot. I ran it around the module and reinstalled it. It looks and works great. Hope this helps

new idea

thanks everyone for the replies...I have an idea that might be the best way to seal that module the way it was meant to be. I was thinking about filing down the 2 notches on the side were the chip is, then cutting out the verticle bar. What does anyone think about doing that? The way I'm thinking is that way the ECU would slide back in all the way and seal up the way it is supposed to.

it sounds like alot of work to file them things down,the center piece is plastic, (verticle)I went to the home depot,
bought a sheet of that exterior foam sheeting,had black on 1 side and aluminum on the other,very neetly used the existing plate to trace and just popped the studs through,and it was flush and sealed,aluminum out to reflect the heat,took 5 minutes with a sharp knife.

Back