PROBS W/APTEN CHIP???

DOCMORGY

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport/'91 Navajo
Hey All

Was wondering if I could get some feedback on self-imposed problem I have just experienced. I ordered the Apten dual-program chip & installed it & found that it does a great job of firming up the shifts, moves up the shift points & overall does give more oooomph, especially from rest with 91 octane. BUT, I then put in a K&N drop in filter followed by a Gibson exhaust & was promptly rewarded with check engine lite & stalling. I D/C the battery overnite & turned off the chip & the probs were remedied. Took it to the dealer who of course said everything, including IAC solenoid checked out fine & that the chip caused the probs. Could these probs have resulted simply from the addition of the freer flowing exhaust & K&N filter? If so, will having Apten reflash the chip resolve the probs or should I just drop the chip altogether? What is everybodys experience & how did they fix the probs? I'm currently holding off on my Granatelli until I get some feedback & talk to Apten. Just looking for some guidance.

BTW, the Gibson exhaust is a phenomenal investment & addition. I am currently driving cross country, pulling a 2000 Maxima (3200 lbs) on a 600lb tow dolly & have loaded both Explorer & Maxima with about 2000lb of stuff & have averaged 15-16 mpg the entire highway trip at a steady 60-65 mph. I still even have addl' power available for passing if needed. These trucks (both my '91 & '01) continue to amaze me!!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Doc M

contact brian from the board.... he is the apten guy and he will be able to help you out

My guess would be the reset did it, or your connections are not quite sanded enough.... but the codes would have been a good thing to know. The dealer is full of crap... but Brian will have a better idea of what is going on.

I imagine I already know the answer...that I need a reflash since I am now flowing alot better both in & out with the K&N & Gibson. Had no choice on resetting the computer & turning off the chip...truck was stalling & dying & no way to get it to the full-of-crap dealer otherwise. I did a good job of sanding the contacts since it did run fine before I started adding more goodies on. But, I'll just have to contact Brian & get his thoughts. Thanks for your thoughts. cm

Back