• Register Today It's free!

procomp shocks

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Why do some shocks like my procomp es3000's not decompress or retract when you compress them? Is it like this on purpose for better offroad handling or is this a trait of cheaper shocks?

Some shocks are gas charged, and that is what makes them expand back out. Your procomps are not gas charged and that is why they dont. Im not sure what the advantages of gas charged shocks are supposed to be.

From what I have read and been told
gas = better shocks as they hold the road better and give more control and help stop foaming of the shock oil. The foaming is caused by the heating of the oil in them but with the gas charge this is held off longer as the oil is kept cooler when under pressure I have also found them to last longer my self and it’s now all I use

None Gas normally cheaper but can fade (change valve rating) from oil foaming (heat build up) when worked hard can also loss contact with the road at times. I have found them a bit slower to respond also to changes in the road surface such as bumps and such were a gas shock is always pushed down ward and thus will normally keep contact with the road.

Any way that my 2 cents worth.

sounds about right. Thats why expensive resevoir shocks are nitrogen filled I guess.

Back