ericg0729

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Ok guys know this has been covered but I am
Still having problems. I have a 1999 explorer with
No key pad on the drivers door but it came with one key fob.
I bought two new replacement fobs one for me and my wife.
I have tried and tried to get the explorer into program
As stated in previous posts. Close all doors. Unlock the doors. Inset the key and cycle it off-on eight times leaving it on on the last time.
Not sure if I am just not understanding the on off process or what. On my ignition u out the key in. The it turns and unlocks the steering wheel then the next click the lights come on then it starts. I have heard that maybe is connecting the battery may help but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I know that the old remote works so it definetly had the capability.

The ignition should go from off to on, not start 8 or 10 times. Try both it depends on the vehicle. Do it slow enough to stop if the locks lock or unlock but not too slow. You don't have to go real fast. If you start at off(the position where you insert the key) then turn the key 1 position to on. The 2nd position would be start, don't go there. Then back to off again, and repeat this the correct number of times.

i just did a new key fob, for my 2000 MM, 30 minutes ago. took me 3 trys. first 2 trys nothing happened (it did not enter programming mode) the third try i turned the key from OFF to ON (what the owner's manual refers to as positions 3 and 4) about as fast i i could and it worked. i've programmed new fobs before (on my other X's and MM) and never had this experience. beats me as to why it will one time and not another.

Yeah I've had that happen as well. My truck seems to work better a little slower. My work truck(E350 van) is supposed to be 8 times as well but it goes into program mode at 10 times. My wifes old Sable was like yours, had to do it really fast.

Back