• Register Today It's free!

Programmer, intake, exhaust?

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Anyone use on of these, or here anything results from using them?

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/...ics/power_programmers/venom/veno00009757.html

I'd like to get some more ponies out of the ol' OHV and I'm thinking this might be a step in the right direction. I'd also like to get a free flowing intake and better exhaust (preferably new headers, cat, and exhaust). I know Borla makes a cat-back exhaust kit for the X1. Anyone know anywhere to get the intake, headers, and cat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use to have a 93 explorer with a 5spd and i put in a KKM intake which didnt seem to do much other then make her a little bit louder. I put a 40 series flowmaster cat back exhaust system on and that just made her louder as well. I want it to sound tougher so thats why i did those mods. To tell you the truth it really didnt seem to add much as far as power goes. But the sound was good. As far as a tuner or performance chip goes i looked into them and the conclusion i came to was it wasn't worth it because there just aren't enough variables to tune on the gen I explorer. I also put a KKB throttle body on her and that didnt seem to make any difference as well. If you want it to sound better i would just switch out the muffler and save your money instead of buying a catback system unless you want duals or something.

If it was newer i would recommend a tuner for sure. When i had my 1997 f150 i ran a performance tune with 93 octane fuel and that really seemed to wake her up.

Hmmm...so here's the conclusion I've come to after a little more research: It's impossible to get about 25-35 hp or so with the OHV motor on the cheap. I might look around for other options. Anyone do a SOHC swap into an x1?

The SOHC is a LOT wider then a 302 V8. You'll lose a LOT of room, and almost have no A/C. For the amount of time/money I'd just go with a V8. Depending on the type you get, and modifications and what tranny you throw behind it, you're gas mileage might even be a bit better. I know my Dad's 98 Explorer got around 24 miles a gallon on the highway, and about 18 in the city. I loved it.

Keep on searching man, best way to do it.

I disagree with the 25-35hp on the cheap statement...

Modify the ThrottleBody (search for my thread for a how-to)...FREE
Port the Upper and Lower Intakes(If it's your first time, I'd focus on just smoothing out the casting flash, and DO NOT go for max porting)....FREE
2.5" Cat-back exhaust systems can be CHEAP, or Expensive. Depending on your tool assortment, you can buy various Mandrel Bends from Summit, and build your own cat-back with muffler....$50-$200 depending on how much performance, and/or name brand stuff you want.

Intake spacer (read: NOT throttlebody spacer)..............I just remembered I need to ship Josh's out to him...

Synthetic Oil/Royal Purple/Amsoil (whatever you want)....$35.00-$45.00

Those should get you more than 25 hp..for pretty cheap....

If you want more than that, cams, underdrive/overdrive pulleys, tuning, Electric Fan...

I had over 200hp, and 300ft/lbs @ the crank when I broke my 3rd transmission....and I didn't have a TON of money into it...less than $1,000 total for that...but now I am going V8, and starting with more than that before I even modify anything.

Ryan

Hmmm...interesting ideas, indeed. This may be the way I go. I have another question, though. I'd like to upgrade the transmission (maybe a C6). Any company make an OHV-to-C6 trans adapter? Can the C6 go reverse-valve-body?

Hmmm...interesting ideas, indeed. This may be the way I go. I have another question, though. I'd like to upgrade the transmission (maybe a C6). Any company make an OHV-to-C6 trans adapter? Can the C6 go reverse-valve-body?

Well I know a 700r4 Chevy tranny will go under it with an adapter from Advance Adapters. Talk to Maniak about that one. I've been considering this swap 'eventually' when this tranny goes out.

Intake spacer (read: NOT throttlebody spacer)..............I just remembered I need to ship Josh's out to him...

:D

I know you can put the c6 in the first get my boss had a 92 ex with one but i never asked where he got the adapters from. They are out there though!

Hey, come to think of it, what's the possibility of an E4OD swap? I'd ideally like a 4 spd and the E4OD is pretty kick ass.

will a 302 from a bronco fit our explorers? assuming you get the v8 conversion parts from james duff or something

I've heard 302 swaps are pretty difficult. IIRC, the Fox body Mustangs with EFI-equipped 5.0 litre (also 302) have a very similar wiring harness. I don't know how the AOD trans would deal with the abuse of off-road, though. I'm unsure of the gearing, but lower axle gears can handle this.

jg09...where do you live? We go up to Port Townsend every once in a while...

And in the PNW Region section, we are all trying to set something up for a little wheeling party in Tahuya..

Ryan

A manual swap is a nice difference over an auto. Lower gears are absolutely guaranteed to increase rear wheel torque as well.
My rig's no speed demon but for a 4000LB box turning 33s, I think it's fairly quick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgdIYBm34I Definitely quicker than 4.0 autos with stock tires I've ridden in.

I've considered a swap to manual, but I've heard that in most cases, it's a HUGE amount of work and sometimes, it's just cheaper to get a vehicle with a manual trans in it already. I don't know how it is for Ranger-based vehicles, though.

Oh, and I live up in Everson (bet I'm the most Northwestern user here!). I guess I should actually check out the PNW section every now and again, eh?

I have live in Bremerton for over 20 years, and I have never heard of Everson....

Where is that at, in relation to Neah Bay or Forks?

Ryan

It's about 10 miles south of the U.S./Canadian border.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Red dot is it:

eversonkg0.png

Back