Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, if you only have one key, you will need either a ford dealer, locksmith, or someone who has the tools to program the second key.

I had to go to a Ford dealer and have the computer programed for the key.
Seems backwards, don't it.

The price is rediculous.

I don't know what the dealer charges, but when I got my 2002 recently, it came with exactly one key, no remotes (and forget about the keyless entry code). I desperately wanted / needed a second key. Didn't know a thing about PATS keys at the time.

An Ace hardware by my house advertises that they can make duplicates of coded keys - all together, the key and the programming cost almost $100, but I had my second key (and now I can 'make' more, if I want to, according to what I read here). They guaranteed the key would work - and 3 months later, I haven't had a problem with the key yet.

Say what you want about Ford - but I can't 'make' new keys with my Hondas. That's a dealer-only job (or, an Ace hardware job ;) It's a nice thing that the customer has a way to make extra keys for their Ford, as long as they have two working ones.

The remotes turned out to be cheaper - got two of them for about $20 on eBay, and a few minutes later, I had working remotes (note - if you're looking to get into programming mode, don't step on the brake pedal while doing the 8 key cycles!)

In California, the dealer wanted $200 for a second key. If I had two and wanted a third, it'd have been only $50. Haven't checked here in Georgia. I'll have to look for an ACE and see what they say.

So, to be clear, you only had one key & ACE was able to produce a second?

An Ace hardware by my house advertises that they can make duplicates of coded keys - all together, the key and the programming cost almost $100, but I had my second key (and now I can 'make' more, if I want to, according to what I read here). They guaranteed the key would work - and 3 months later, I haven't had a problem with the key yet.

this is both correct and incorrect - walmart and ace can make 'copies' of your ONE pats key, but here's how they do it - First of all, every single pats key in existence has a unique RFID sequence number - that is what enables the PATS transceiver in the steering column to 'see' the key. so if you only have one factory key, then you have one factory RFID signal - lets say its '1234'. when you go to a dealer, and get a second key made, you program the vehicle to give it permission to start the car when key code '1234' is available, and when you get the second key (lets say 9876 is that code) both codes will start the car.

what ace and walmart do is copy the original key code to the second key, i.e. you will have two keys with the same rfid code (1234 times 2) - so the vehicle still sees only one key - and since this is the case, you cannot make a third key because you only have one RFID number (1234). yes, both keys start the car, and for most people this is exactly what they want, but if you try to make a third or fourth or fifth key just because you have two phycial keys, it wont work (with ace or walmart keys) because the vehicle only knows there is one programmed key code (1234)

make sense?

Sounds like a plan to me. I just want two keys.
A. Mine
B. Wife's
C. When my dumb ass loses or breaks mine.

C Would suck if I only have one.

this is both correct and incorrect - walmart and ace can make 'copies' of your ONE pats key, but here's how they do it - First of all, every single pats key in existence has a unique RFID sequence number - that is what enables the PATS transceiver in the steering column to 'see' the key. so if you only have one factory key, then you have one factory RFID signal - lets say its '1234'. when you go to a dealer, and get a second key made, you program the vehicle to give it permission to start the car when key code '1234' is available, and when you get the second key (lets say 9876 is that code) both codes will start the car.

what ace and walmart do is copy the original key code to the second key, i.e. you will have two keys with the same rfid code (1234 times 2) - so the vehicle still sees only one key - and since this is the case, you cannot make a third key because you only have one RFID number (1234). yes, both keys start the car, and for most people this is exactly what they want, but if you try to make a third or fourth or fifth key just because you have two phycial keys, it wont work (with ace or walmart keys) because the vehicle only knows there is one programmed key code (1234)

make sense?

Yes - and thank you for setting that straight. I was interested in perhaps making a 'entry only' key or two, and hiding a 'start' key within the vehicle, in case I ever lost one. But I guess that's what the keyless entry pad comes in handy for (another 'ford only' thing, and one in which I see less value - unless I was a golfer or something - which I'm not. I understand the feature is very popular with them).

These days, with 'transceiver keys' or whatever you call them, where you don't even have to insert a key to unlock or start the car...I can see a use for that, if you've got packages in your hands, etc - but you still have to push some kind of button to 'unlock all' or 'unlock trunk / tailgate'.

But thank you for setting me straight on that - at least I won't waste $ on key blanks / cutting :)

I can't tell you how many times the keypad has saved me time getting into the vehicle to get something I forgot. I use it all the time. (And I'm not a golfer.....well, not much of one, that's for sure.)

When I bought my 2002 Explorer I only rec'd one key. I asked for a duplicate but they gave me one that didn't actually start the vehicle; just opened the door. So I remember going on Ebay and buying a Ford key and taking it to the dealer a few months after I bought the car and they were kind enough to cut the key and program it. It didn't cost much (though I don't recall how much) but it must've been pretty low because the cost didn't leave a bad memory, like other (expensive) car repairs usually do.

EDIT: Went back and checked my receipts and they charged me $48.50 to cut and program the key I brought in with me.

make sense?

The keys are unique and unique when they are manufactured. WalMart, ACE and whomever else do not have the ability to recode the chip in them. The chips are designed to prevent that. If they were reprogrammable, it would be a huge security flaw.

The key can be cut on a standard key cutting machine which is what most places can do. You now have to let your car learn that the key's ID is legal and Ford decided to make you present two valid keys before it would learn any others. GM only requires one.

We bought a 2003 Sport for the kids to use and it only came with one key and one remote. Fortunately the dealer didn't rip us off too badly. I think it was around $100 for three keys and they read the door code for free. But this was a small Ford dealer in suburban Philly.

Back