Programming a PATS II Key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming a PATS II Key

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I ordered a PATS II key ( Passive Anti Theft System ) from Torrie McPhail at Ford Parts Network (http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/ ). The key, cut for my truck ( using my VIN ), shipped to my door was only $24.85. Ford Parts Network is a great company to do business with; highly recommended.

I am able to program the new key ( PATS II ) myself ( on my 99 ) since I have two good ( programmed ) keys, if I had only one key, it would have been necessary to have a Ford dealer or specialty locksmith make the key ( unless the truck was a pre 98 with a PATS I system; then only one good key is needed ). I have been told that the cost of this programming and a key is around $100.

The programming procedure is as follows: insert the first good key turn it to the run position wait until the security light goes out, turn to lock and remove the key’; now insert the second good key and repeat the step; finally insert the new key and repeat. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

That’s all there is to programming the new key; total time less than one minute.

Moral of this story – even if you have two good keys, order another ( or 2 ) and program them yourself and avoid future headaches and expense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to program my key with just one orgional key. I have got to take a pic of my key. I have to show you all how cool it is. It is clear with a Ford Emblem on it. I just had the one key with me and went to hardware store and they cut it for me and then I went out and used one key to do the two key thing and it worked and programed my key.

My keys @==>

I got a spare key (from Ford) for my 01 Explorer since I knew if I lost one of the originals, I'd be up &#*% without a paddle.. It was cut, and cranked the Ex over just fine, but when I went to program it, NOTHING worked like it's supposed too...

I ran through their directions as stated in the manual, and nothing on the 3rd key.. I kept it up, retrying it and I couldn't get my original key to work(wifes still worked) I tried it again the next day and my key worked again, along with hers, but still couldn't get the new key to work..

I went to the dealer and had a couple salesmen try.. NO joy there either..

Finally one of the salesmen locked the doors, did the procedure and it worked just fine..

SO.. if your reprogramming the new key dosn't work, try locking your doors..

Thanks for the writeup Al.
I think that I will submit this thread to the Useful threads forum
Also Black Magic for the info on doing it with just one key. :)

When I bought my 00 Sport last fall, it came with only one key. I took it to the dealer to get another key made. Total cost was $55. (At the time, I believed the manual which said 2 keys were required for owner programming)

I also ordered a third key off E-Bay, had it cut at Lowes, and tried to program it. After following the manual procedure, the new key wouldn't work. Neither would the original, nor would the second (dealer) key......After cursing Bill Ford and the horse he rode in on, I tried the programming procedure again. This time the key worked, as did the other two.

I did both procedures exactly the same. I don't know why the first time didn't work but the second time did. Moral to this story is: Keep trying, use C5's door lock trick, maybe disconnect/reconnect the battery......try everything possible before calling the tow truck.

I got to thinking today about the two key programming procedure and was wondering how the truck could tell if you used one key ( as did Black Magic ) or two keys , as I did, for the programming.

I would think that the "cloned" key would be identical.

Ideas???????????

Hi Al. It's my understanding that each PATS key has a different code burned into the chip inside. There are 800 kazzillion possible codes. The PATS module reads each key as being unique, and the module can hold up to 9 key codes in memory.

I guess it's possible for any two keys to have the same imprinted code, and the same cut, and be able to start a particular Ford. But the odds would be about the same as winning the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.:D

Electronic Key

Hey mine came with only one key too.. had another cut with the chip in it... and kazawow... it will start the car but, then all hell breaks lose.. and the engine quits... went back to the first one.. and it took a few seconds for the key to be reconized...

I was told by ford that you have to have the computer re-programed... and after you have the second key... you then can program them yourself for the 3rd etc... but, you have to have two keys already... cost of having the computer re-programed for a second key... 130 bucks... ouch... for now were using only the one key...

Wonder if their is a way around to get the second one programed in...

PATS KEY FIX?

I just got a 2000 Explorer, and shocked to hear the keys are so expensive, even from Ebay! I am going to try this to get "around" the pats chip....... I just go 2 PATS keys from Ebay, I am going to get them cut, then I am going to program them then, break one open to get the chip out and tape it under or near the column, near the key insertion, that way I can buy the $.99 cent keys all I want and hopefully the PATS system will kep recognizing my .99 cent key as a PATS key everytime, all the time, and save myself from the $35 key dilema and as always use an extra spare NON ESSENTIAL PATS key in case it dont work, I will have 3 in my arsenal after I code and break the experemental key to try this out!!!

Let me know if that works. I've considered doing the same thing.

chadhargis said:
Let me know if that works. I've considered doing the same thing.
what about for 2002 Explorer I have just one key and have 2 fresh uncut ones from ebay here. Local for dealer said $35,00 each to cut and program I think it is worth it just incase there is a problem with something, what do you guys think is it worth trying to do yourself??

Same question

I have a 2002 that came with only one key and one remote. Is there a way to program another key and/or remote with only one key?

when I bought my 2002 a few months ago.it had two keys but one key was a walmart key meaning it was only a door key!!!
In reality I had just one key.
this is what i did and cheapest way since i had one key and one remote..
on EBAY I bought 2 remotes and 2 extra keys.
fairly cheap i think i paid $12.00 for each remote and $17.00 for each key and I bought the 3rd key because if you have 2 programmed it is easy for you to do yourself because you would still have 2 keys proogrammed.
I was able to program the remotes my self i think it is turn key on and off and on and off 8 cycles? until you hear dor locks cycle themselves,then you press one button on all 3 remotes one after another. and then you are done with that all 3 programmed..

the key was a little harder not har just took a few dollars cheaper than i was planning though...
I bought the 2 keys on EBAY and went to my local dealer and if i bought the keys from them and had them cut them and program them they told me like $65.00 each key!!!!
i took the blanks there and he cut them for me no charge YEAH...
then the service department programmed all 3 of them for just $35.00 yes that was it and I sure didn;t question it although i didn;t enjoy waiting 3 hours on a monday morning for that to happen. But i am happy with how everything turned out...
hope this helps you a bit...

I got a spare PATS key off of eBay for like $10. Had HD cut it (although they swore up and down it would not work) and did the 2 good key programming thing (which is in the back of your owners manual if you do not have access to this thread).

Regarding taking out the PATS chip I assume it will work as long as you take the chip out of every key you have. I installed the bulldog remote start with the 791 bypass module that uses a key and a wire that wraps around the ignition. When I start the car via the remote it will send the PATS signal to the column. Others who did not want to go thorugh this just ripped out the chip and attached it in the ignition but two PATS keys will cancel each other out so you have to remove it from all keys.

I beleive that 2002+ is no longer the PATS II system. I know the key changed, and the transponder changed with it (I actually have an '02 key cut to fit my explorer and it won't program in). Whether or not you can program a second key from one by yourself, I wouldn't think so unless the owners manual says so.

Back