Programming Problem 2nd keyless entry fob 2003 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming Problem 2nd keyless entry fob 2003 EB

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I purchase my 03 EB and it came with only one key. I ponied up and had a locksmith program a second key ($60). I then purchased two keyless entry fobs off Ebay. Programmed the first one ok but unable to do the second one, couldn't seem to get the system back into programming mode. I searched this forum for help but came across little that helped.

I did find elsewhere programming instructions that did work and let me program both fobs. I post it here to help anyone that might encounter similar problems. In my case closing the door and locking and unlocking seems to have been the key to get programming mode started.

Step-By-Step Key Fob Remote Programming Instructions

1. Prepare Vehicle
    CLOSE and UNLOCK vehicle using power door locks.
  2. Enter Vehicle Programming Mode
    INSERT key into Ignition and TURN from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm Programming Mode.
  3. Program Remote
    Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote fob. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

(Repeat immediately for any additional remotes to be programmed.)
  4. Exit Programming Mode
    Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.
  5. Test Remotes
    Test all remotes. Programming is now complete.

Programmed the first one ok but unable to do the second one, couldn't seem to get the system back into programming mode.

That's your problem right there. They both need to be done in the same session, you can't "add" one, anytime it's put into programming mode everything existing is cleared out.

Direct from the owners manual:

2ztgl7l.png

Back