Programming remote start FOB w/ push button start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming remote start FOB w/ push button start

kevin360

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 300C AWD
I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that has factory remote start and push-button start. I recently bought kit CL3Z-19G364-B off ebay and installed it. The kit comes with the VSS, long range antenna, and two 1-way FOBs. Kit works fine, I'm able to remote start the car with the 1-way FOBs.

I would like to have a 2-way FOB though, so I purchased the 2-way FOB (DL3Z15K601A). Problem I'm having is how to program it. Most of the instructions I come across are for cars that DON'T have push-button start. I've tried these instructions:

55. Push Button Start Vehicles:
NOTE:
These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously
installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".
1 Enter the vehicle with the vehicle key(s) and key fobs you wish to program.
2 Depress and hold brake pedal.
3 Press the start/stop button.
4 After the vehicle starts press the start/stop button to shut down.
5 Repeat steps 3 and 4 an additional four times, ending in ignition on, engine off.
6 Release the brake pedal.
7 Press the vehicle start/stop button twice to turn ignition on.
▪ The horn will honk 3 times to indicate transmitter learn mode access.
8 Press the start stop button on each fob you wish to program.
9 Cycle ignition to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

From page 27 of the pdf here.

But so far no luck. The jumper was not installed in the VSS, the kit actually didn't have a jumper to install into the VSS. Anyone know how to program the new FOBs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are the instructions I used on my '16, it worked, may be different on your '13.
The key slot mentioned is the small compartment inside the console where you program the mykey feature.

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programed message on the left dash display.

If you mess up in the process you can restart by opening the driver door and closing it again.

These are the instructions I used on my '16, it worked, may be different on your '13.
The key slot mentioned is the small compartment inside the console where you program the mykey feature.

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programed message on the left dash display.

If you mess up in the process you can restart by opening the driver door and closing it again.

Thanks, those are the instructions for programming another Intelligent Access key, I'm trying to program a remote FOB. The one I'm trying to program is this one:

dl3z-15k601-a-20140508175916.jpg

I already have the long-range remote access system working with this style remote which is 1-way:

ds7z-15k601-f-20140508175703.jpg

Everything I've read says I should be able to program the two button 2-way remote above to be recognized by the system, but haven't been able to yet.

Is it honking to indicate it entered program mode?

Regarding step 5, ignition on means pressing the start/stop twice otherwise you are just in accessory. Could that be the issue?

Frankly those instructions don't make sense. You can't end up with ignition on/engine off if you are holding the brake pedal...hmmm

Regarding step 5, ignition on means pressing the start/stop twice otherwise you are just in accessory. Could that be the issue?

I pressed twice, so what it ended up being was I was starting and stopping the car a total of 5 times.

Frankly those instructions don't make sense. You can't end up with ignition on/engine off if you are holding the brake pedal...hmmm

You are right, I didn't really catch that. You can't end up ON with the engine OFF.

I can find write-ups and even videos on youtube for programming the remote if you have a keyed ignition, but I can't find anything if you've got a push-button start!

Try this for step 5:

5 Repeat steps 3 and 4 an additional FIVE times, ending in ignition on, engine ON.

Try this for step 5:

5 Repeat steps 3 and 4 an additional FIVE times, ending in ignition on, engine ON.

Just tried that, didn't work either. Also tried with repeating FOUR times and didn't work.

I found a 2015 F-150 pdf for installing the long range remote start and in there the instructions are:

43. Push Button Start Vehicles:

NOTE:
These steps must be performed with the VSS module security jumper removed if previously
installed. For additional information refer to "VSS Module - Optional Vehicle Security Features".

1 Open door and press unlock.
2 Enter the vehicle with the vehicle key(s) and key fobs you wish to program.
3 Depress and hold brake pedal.
4 Press the start/stop button.
5 After the vehicle starts, press the start/stop button to shut down.
6 Repeat steps 3 and 4 an additional five times, ending in ignition ON, engine ON.
7 Release the brake pedal, the horn should honk 3 times.
8 Press the start stop/button on each fob you wish to program. The horn should honk each time the
button is pressed to indicate the transmitter has been programmed.
9 Cycle ignition to the OFF position to exit transmitter learn mode.

Tried that where I opened the door and closed it after pressing unlock and also where I opened door and left open. Didn't work either.

Thanks, those are the instructions for programming another Intelligent Access key, I'm trying to program a remote FOB. The one I'm trying to program is this one:

dl3z-15k601-a-20140508175916.jpg

I already have the long-range remote access system working with this style remote which is 1-way:

ds7z-15k601-f-20140508175703.jpg

Everything I've read says I should be able to program the two button 2-way remote above to be recognized by the system, but haven't been able to yet.

hi. i want to add long range remote starter that is the same in the picture. Please help me with all the parts needed and how you set it up correctly. thanks

Below is a bit confusing. In D are you starting it 5 times or 6 times?
What seems to work is hold the brake pedal and start it 6 times quite rapidly and it will do the 3 honks on the 6th start and be engine running, take foot off the brake, press all the fobs they will each honk the horn once, turn off the engine. Which is not exactly what this below says.

Push Button Start Vehicles
1. Transmitter (key fob) learn procedure:
a. Disarm the vehicle security system by pressing UNLOCK on the OE remote keyless entry fob.
b. Open the driver door.
c. Press and hold the brake pedal.
d. NOTE:
The vehicle's engine will start each time
Pressing the vehicle's START button, cycle the ignition from OFF to START 5 times, ensuring a full cycle each time and finishing on
the sixth cycle in the ON (RUN) position.
e. Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition to the OFF position.
f. Release the brake pedal.
g. NOTE:
Depending on the specific vehicle, entering the RUN position may require two presses of the vehicle START switch.
Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition from OFF to RUN.
h. The system will sound the horn 3 times indicating it entered transmitter programming mode.
i. Press the START button on each of the remote start transmitters, the horn will sound once indicating it learned each time the
START button is pressed.
j. Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition to the OFF position to exit transmitter programming mode.
Are the transmitters programmed?
• YES - Verify proper function
• NO - GO TO A3.
A3 – VERIFY 8–KEY CYCLE LEARN PROCESS
The remote start module must be programmed to the vehicle for both transmitter and remote start features to properly function. For 2‐way
systems, if the remote start is working but the Find/Panic will not function, verify the module has been programmed if installing on any of the
vehicles listed below. If required, perform the following Modue Programming process and then test functionality.
Required for these Key Start Vehicles Only:
• 2011‐14 Edge
• 2011‐14 F‐150
• 2013‐16 Taurus
• 2013‐16 Flex
• 2011‐16 Super Duty
• 2015–16 Expedition
• 2011‐15 Explorer
Module Programming
1. Disarm system.
2. Make sure the brake pedal is not pressed.
3. Cycle the key from OFF to RUN 8 times, ensuring a full cycle each time, and finishing on the eighth cycle in the ON position.
4. Immediately after the last key cycle the door locks will cycle once.
5. The system will pause 3‐5 seconds, then cycle the door locks once more indicated it was learned.
6. You can now turn the key off, or wait 20 seconds and the system will exit programming mode automatically – indicated by the door locks
cycling once.
If module programming was necessary, was programming successful and do the transmitters now work?

Below is a bit confusing. In D are you starting it 5 times or 6 times?
What seems to work is hold the brake pedal and start it 6 times quite rapidly and it will do the 3 honks on the 6th start and be engine running, take foot off the brake, press all the fobs they will each honk the horn once, turn off the engine. Which is not exactly what this below says.

Push Button Start Vehicles
1. Transmitter (key fob) learn procedure:
a. Disarm the vehicle security system by pressing UNLOCK on the OE remote keyless entry fob.
b. Open the driver door.
c. Press and hold the brake pedal.
d. NOTE:
The vehicle's engine will start each time
Pressing the vehicle's START button, cycle the ignition from OFF to START 5 times, ensuring a full cycle each time and finishing on
the sixth cycle in the ON (RUN) position.
e. Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition to the OFF position.
f. Release the brake pedal.
g. NOTE:
Depending on the specific vehicle, entering the RUN position may require two presses of the vehicle START switch.
Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition from OFF to RUN.
h. The system will sound the horn 3 times indicating it entered transmitter programming mode.
i. Press the START button on each of the remote start transmitters, the horn will sound once indicating it learned each time the
START button is pressed.
j. Pressing the START button, cycle the ignition to the OFF position to exit transmitter programming mode.
Are the transmitters programmed?
• YES - Verify proper function
• NO - GO TO A3.
A3 – VERIFY 8–KEY CYCLE LEARN PROCESS
The remote start module must be programmed to the vehicle for both transmitter and remote start features to properly function. For 2‐way
systems, if the remote start is working but the Find/Panic will not function, verify the module has been programmed if installing on any of the
vehicles listed below. If required, perform the following Modue Programming process and then test functionality.
Required for these Key Start Vehicles Only:
• 2011‐14 Edge
• 2011‐14 F‐150
• 2013‐16 Taurus
• 2013‐16 Flex
• 2011‐16 Super Duty
• 2015–16 Expedition
• 2011‐15 Explorer
Module Programming
1. Disarm system.
2. Make sure the brake pedal is not pressed.
3. Cycle the key from OFF to RUN 8 times, ensuring a full cycle each time, and finishing on the eighth cycle in the ON position.
4. Immediately after the last key cycle the door locks will cycle once.
5. The system will pause 3‐5 seconds, then cycle the door locks once more indicated it was learned.
6. You can now turn the key off, or wait 20 seconds and the system will exit programming mode automatically – indicated by the door locks
cycling once.
If module programming was necessary, was programming successful and do the transmitters now work?
I replaced the battery in the remote start and now both key fobs do not work...I tried the reprogram cycle, 8times on off ,locks cycle but fob do not program. Have to unlock the doors with key, and start before alarm goes off. Is there a reset ? Will doing a battery disconnect cause the key not to be able to start the vehicle. Any ideas?

Do you have push button start intelligent access fobs as your "keys" to the car. And then a separate remote start fob? Or all in one?
Which battery did you replace, in the remote start fob?
Fobs should not lose programming on a battery replacement.
The 8 cycle process is to learn the VSS module to the vehicle. Not to learn fobs to the vehicle or the VSS.

The separate remote start fob learn procedure to start the car engine 6 times rapidly is harsh treatment of the starter and engine. I hated having to do that. Has anyone stumbled on an alternative method to get the VSS into learn mode? I wonder could you pull a fuse or relay to the starter motor and "fool" it, going through the procedure and not actually starting the car?

Do you have push button start intelligent access fobs as your "keys" to the car. And then a separate remote start fob? Or all in one?
Which battery did you replace, in the remote start fob?
Fobs should not lose programming on a battery replacement.
The 8 cycle process is to learn the VSS module to the vehicle. Not to learn fobs to the vehicle or the VSS.
I have key start, not push button. Remote is separate from the keys fob. Replaced battery in the remote start, not the key fobs. Any ideas?

I have key start, not push button. Remote is separate from the keys fob. Replaced battery in the remote start, not the key fobs. Any ideas?
Fobs shouldn't lose programming from battery replacement. Maybe the remote keyless entry fobs coincidentally need new batteries also. It's worth trying.

Fobs shouldn't lose programming from battery replacement. Maybe the remote keyless entry fobs coincidentally need new batteries also. It's worth trying.
Thanks...I will give it a try and let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back