Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build

this thread is going to be just a thread posting any mods or work being done on the Navajo. I'll also make a registry which would kinda like a summery of whats in the vehicle and i already have a thread started about the work im doing to the front beams/axle. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206455

well here's whats up with it right now, its in mexico at McNeiloff-road to have a roll cage put in it :D

IMG_0583Medium.jpg

IMG_0580Medium.jpg

IMG_0581Medium.jpg

here's just some randome shots of the shop.

Chad McNeils shop
IMG_0585Medium.jpg

Perry and Jason's shop
IMG_0584Medium.jpg

this is a shot from the front gate around the buildings. on the right it is Chad McNeil's shop (McNeil Off-road) and towards the left is the building where Perry McNeil (McNeil Racing/Perrys fab n fiber) and Jason McNeil (Fiberwerx) shops are.
IMG_0586Medium.jpg

some sort of buggy
IMG_0570Medium.jpg

some trucks
IMG_0571Medium.jpg

a cool bumper
IMG_0573Medium.jpg

a sport trac
IMG_0575Medium.jpg

IMG_0574Medium.jpg

pictures suck, but here's some explorers
IMG_0576Medium.jpg

IMG_0577Medium.jpg

king pin, equal length.
IMG_0578Medium.jpg

a ranger
IMG_0587Medium.jpg

i forget how massive desert cars are till i see them. all the shocks, springs, tubing, reinforcing etc. is huge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dude, you know how to get it done! you have the spirit.

i was tempted to off road mine with no shocks and broken front axle :p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nope :( car has been sitting in the garage collecting cobwebbs (seriously) since pismo........ but not anymore!!!! whoocha!

no total chaos mounts :( i saw yours and loved the idea of it and thought about making my own, but the thought of my entire back end held up by my welding was a bit scetchy. i don't know what u-bolt mounts have, superlift maybe :dunno:

aha, well I was fooled, something looked different in the picture but I couldn't tell from the angle.

You'd really need a press/break to make a set. For the $60 bucks I said screw it and ordered them up. They look pretty similar though. U-bolt nuts are protected and on the side of the pack.

One other ?? Did you extend the bump stop on the top with that square tubing or is that just for mock up? I'm considering adding some juicy poly bump stops to help absorb the last couple inches of bump travel in the front. Cans are cool, but are ten times the price.

i would love to own that shop. looks like a fun place to work : D

aha, well I was fooled, something looked different in the picture but I couldn't tell from the angle.

You'd really need a press/break to make a set. For the $60 bucks I said screw it and ordered them up. They look pretty similar though. U-bolt nuts are protected and on the side of the pack.

One other ?? Did you extend the bump stop on the top with that square tubing or is that just for mock up? I'm considering adding some juicy poly bump stops to help absorb the last couple inches of bump travel in the front. Cans are cool, but are ten times the price.

yeah i spaced them down with a 2x2" square tubing.

pictures don't want to look so good right now, but the navajo is on its wheels for the first time in a long time.
explorernnavajo020.jpg

explorernnavajo021.jpg

and i can only raise the car about two inches more and still keep in the garage.
explorernnavajo018.jpg

you fix the lift gate? the pic of the bumper reminded me lol

oh yeah i fixed that like a week after pismo :thumbsup: and i faxed the idle problem i was haveing too.

well i ran out of luck today. finished up all the piddely little things to get the rear done, so now onto the front. but a problem lies in me replacing my u-joint, i need a u-joint to replace it with! all the peices have been sitting around the garage for me to fix the front axle for several months, new axle, new u-joint, but now that i'm actually going to work on it i can't find the u-joint! :( i've searched high and low for it, but appears to be nowhere. i assume it evolved into some creature with legs (or possibly hover ability?) and wondered off to live its own life. but it probably joined a gang and is up to no good now.

started work for full clips

explorernnavajo.jpg

edit* found the u-joint, it was at the office :D

ok, so now i need some help, help with the spindle nuts. i've heard few people talk about there "techniques" to tighten them properly. iv'e heard "tighten the inner nut hand tight and then torque the outer." "tighten the inner one and then loosen it a half turn" etc. i remember brian kennedy had a good way to do it. input puhleeeeease

Damn, James taught me how to do this...wish i could remember. :rolleyes:

102_1906.jpg

man, i missed the "models in your avatar" trend and now im late on the "this is me wearing a tie" avatar

Ah it snapped? weld it back on!! kuhwik!

Is that a recent picture? I thought you had your fox shox on the rear, and those don't look like deavers, and i didn't think you had the swaybar.

hahaha. it was just to mess with you. thats a an old picture right after the navajo was lifted

here goes....

took the nav to johnson valley a few weeks ago. did a lot of running htrough washes and high speed whoops. handled great. the rear worked the best it's ever done and the front of course could easily out run the rear. im sure the front will do even better once i get a new bump stop and adjust the dualrate springs a bit more.

but somewhere between high speeds, rock crawling and braking the steering being pulled out by a dodge 2500, i did some damage to the axle and knuckle.

cracked knuckle, broken u-joint, and the axle slip joint is stuck together. can't get it apart :dunno:

sorry the pictures are so bad

cracked knuckle
explorernnavajo057.jpg

explorernnavajo058.jpg

slip joint stuck
explorernnavajo059.jpg

and i don't know if you can see it but the engine crossmember is cracked. need to reinforce it a lil
explorernnavajo061.jpg

so im thinking the cause to some of my problems may be that i forgot the put the spacer on the axle behind the knuckle, maybe i didn't trim the slip joint shaft enough, and possibly the limit straps have stretched far enough that the axle is binding

so did you tow it home? that is a big crack

Back