Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Baby Runner/Mini Crawler: R.J.'s Navajo Build

this thread is going to be just a thread posting any mods or work being done on the Navajo. I'll also make a registry which would kinda like a summery of whats in the vehicle and i already have a thread started about the work im doing to the front beams/axle. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206455

well here's whats up with it right now, its in mexico at McNeiloff-road to have a roll cage put in it :D

IMG_0583Medium.jpg

IMG_0580Medium.jpg

IMG_0581Medium.jpg

here's just some randome shots of the shop.

Chad McNeils shop
IMG_0585Medium.jpg

Perry and Jason's shop
IMG_0584Medium.jpg

this is a shot from the front gate around the buildings. on the right it is Chad McNeil's shop (McNeil Off-road) and towards the left is the building where Perry McNeil (McNeil Racing/Perrys fab n fiber) and Jason McNeil (Fiberwerx) shops are.
IMG_0586Medium.jpg

some sort of buggy
IMG_0570Medium.jpg

some trucks
IMG_0571Medium.jpg

a cool bumper
IMG_0573Medium.jpg

a sport trac
IMG_0575Medium.jpg

IMG_0574Medium.jpg

pictures suck, but here's some explorers
IMG_0576Medium.jpg

IMG_0577Medium.jpg

king pin, equal length.
IMG_0578Medium.jpg

a ranger
IMG_0587Medium.jpg

i forget how massive desert cars are till i see them. all the shocks, springs, tubing, reinforcing etc. is huge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear end bucks like crazy. it bottums out and kicks up sending the car in a nose wheelie and crash's down hard and bounces a few time kicking the back end side to side. thats what was happening on hte big bear run. there's a few humps in the trails that you can jump. i usaully jump them as much as possible with my old setup, but now i have to slow down on them :( even when i tried to jum and the back end bucked up, i don't think the font wheel ever left the ground :rolleyes:

gonna try to build a new shock mount that gives the shocks a straighter up and down angle.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Maybe its time for some FOA's???? Im looking at trying some Bronco deavers in the next week or two. Gonna see how they fit and amount of lift they give. If they work i will be using them along with going through the floor with some 18" FOA's...

Going back to post #78, if you read the end of the 2nd link he explains how he dealt with his rear end. He left the G50 SOA, and from what i get from his explanation, cut the cross section of the stock shackle out and rewelded a cross brace on the front side of it. :dunno: I dont know how cutting the shackle literally in half would help at all.

wonder if he means cut them in half front to back, or side to side :scratch:
would make sense if he cut the cross section out. but i guess i just to much weight, cause my springs problem is they were bending backwards :eek:

right now im pretty dang sure the main thing i need to do is get the shocks closer to the 1:1 ratio. even F.O.A shocks at that angle wouldn't help much. i don't know if you can tell from the pics, but the shocks are layed back so far that they're almost horizontal at full bump

I had the resi 9000 shocks on my explorer with the solid axle. I was not impressed, never thought they were stiff enough. I put them on level 9 and left it. I've come to the conclusion there are only a few brands of "real" shocks, and the 9000 has too many adjustments, it's a sales gimic I mean, who really encounters 9 stages of terrain?

Maybe true or false info I was given in the past, but I heard that the stiffest on the 9000 (level 9) is the same as the stiffest on the 5000 (level 5), so all they did was add more in between levels.

was screwing around with the display shocks at 4wheelparts (as i always do) and the rancho 9000 shocks on level 9 were stiff enough to the point i couldn't compress them with my own waight. i also like to add that i think its funny that procomp mx6 resi shocks are $220 each hahahahaha. hey didn't we have a ROFL smiley?

key to all this is your shock placement...

springs are designed to support the vehicle, and all the shocks do is control the movement of the spring...

with your shock "laying out" it no longer is acting on the spring, just acting more like a link and not controlling the rebound of the spring, hence the uncontrolled bouncing you experienced.

if i remember correctly a 15 degree angle ( + / - ) is about all the "lean" in a shock you want for it to do its job......

and if putting holes into the body for a rear shock cage is something you don't want to do, you could allways do a link/bell-crank setup sorta like Indy and F-1 cars have....

l8r, John:cool:

that is what we call the cantilever setup.

I've done a lot of research on shocks lately, obliviously as I'm running a 1:1 ratio, with 16" of shock travel on my leaf pack and I have sacrificed my cargo area for shock placement. Leafs are the simplest suspension out there, but when traveling full cycle, they can be tricky, especially drooping due to the energy of the spring wanting to come back to it's normal shape. I'm seeing a limiting strap helping that movement.

A 1:1 ratio is best for dampening, it means the shock is working at 100% throughout the entire cycle. Cantilever setups allow shocks to be mounted horizontally but still maintain the 1:1 ratio, this is good for SUV owners or flatbillers who don't want to bedcage a truck because they need room for the dirtbike that is permanantly stored in the bed.

IF a 1:1 can not be achieved the solution would be a stiffer shock. There is advantages of not having a 1:1 ratio, that you can pull longer travel out of a shorter shock. RJ took my old shock mount that autofab designed and is having issues that I also had with old shocks. The advantage of this setup is that you can pull 16+" of travel with a 12" shock, the disadvantage is that the shock is maybe traveling 25% more in terms of inches, but is dampening 25% less, maybe more. If it was not for my cage project and the damaging of my 4 9000 resivoir shocks mounted back there I think I could have dailed it in but buying shocks can get expensive.

RJ, I think with the clearance between that autofab shock mount and your body you could mount tabs with reinforcements going to the rear of that shock crossmember at closer to a 1:1 ratio and run those same shocks. I'd really encourage cycling your suspension and adding bumps and limiting straps too. Iknow you like to use those air bumps, which are blingy, but even a simple 3" poly bump will squish down to about 1.5" when compressed, assisting in some of the dramatic energy caused my a leaf pulling back to it's original shap.

Going fast with leaves and flexing leaves on the rocks is two totally different games in my opinion.

Cantilever is the way to go for us explorer guys. I keep tossing it back and forth and its really not that badly priced...

your not going to go 18" shocks on cantilever are you?

My favorite explorer on cantilever was that black dirt alliance one that rolled and was totalled. Also that crazy white 93 that the guy wanted like $35K for wasn't too bad either He had the frame notched out.

your not going to go 18" shocks on cantilever are you?

My favorite explorer on cantilever was that black dirt alliance one that rolled and was totalled. Also that crazy white 93 that the guy wanted like $35K for wasn't too bad either He had the frame notched out.

No way 18" will be way to long. Im not sure yet what ill be doing. Im gonna try some bronco deavers and see how they work since i can get them for so cheap. Changing the front and rear spring mounts anyway so im figuring why not go cantilever while im at it. Choices and choices and even more choices......

alright that what i like see, lots of good info:thumbsup: ;)

i could change the shock mount that i have, but that would tak away the fun of building the new mount design i have. pretty simple, just two bars across the frame rails with a cross bar in the middle with shock tabs.

oh and i do have limit straps. only visable in the pics of under the car with deavers on the other page :thumbsup: bumps stops, ill just use stock bumps but make sure they're positioned right.

carlover, give me $1500 and some shocks/coilovers. :p:

if i could, i would link it.

i just want to get it back to the performance it had with the stock shock mount crossbar and single fox resi :rolleyes:

danny, you want the mount back? it worked fine for crawling and produced a lot of travel. and its a simple bolt in.

I know what it is, and no I don't need it back, I just don't want you to think I ripped you off selling something that didn't work. No room on my rig for that anymore.

If it's not what you were expecting I'll try to be fair with you. What ever happened to the hood?

carlover, give me $1500 and some shocks/coilovers. :p:

if i could, i would link it.

i just want to get it back to the performance it had with the stock shock mount crossbar and single fox resi :rolleyes:

Im talking to Brandon about a 4 link with the coilovers on a cantilever setup to keep everything under the bed. Just some food for thought, he will give you a hell of a deal on whatever setup you want.

i talked to travis a little about a cantilever. but the rear build up will be a different year!!!!!!!

the hood is sitting on the side oh the house. it'll be used, but agian, i want it to go on in a whole front end changover phase.

i offered the shock mount back cuase you talked about maybe using it if you build another rockcrawler.

i don't feel ripped off though. i saw what it was before i got it but i figured if the guy before you used to jump is car off loading docks with it, hten it should be good enough for me ;) if i really wanted to get my money out of it, cutting the tabs off and mounting them on the top side of the mount would produce much better shock angles.

Back