Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp

Project “Flatlander” 2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L Automatic AWD 117000 Miles Completely Stock
This is the very beginning of a hopeful 6-9 Month Process. This vehicle will be extensively R&D’d with new, existing, and custom products on the market complete with dyno results & mpg gains.
Since this is AWD we weren’t able to get some baseline dyno data before we did a few upgrades (But i have a part time tech's wife that has a 2002 2wd Mountaineer, one day we'll see if we can pry it away from here & strap it to the dyno to get an estimate) We have completely removed the complete AWD Drivetrain, replaced the front wheel hub bearings, new fuel filter & fresh Mobile Synthetic oil, some minor checks & maintanence before we began the build 2 months ago. Since I drive this on a midtown daily travel 15-20 miles one way to work, mpg will be more based on that for our normal results, long highway trips will also be datalogged when possible. Before the build began with it completely stock I averaged 15.8 to 16.1 mpg.

Here is what we have done so far:
Stock 4.6L with stock 16" wheels, suspension, & brakes
ALL AWD has been completly Removed (FOR SALE)
New Front Wheel Hubs
ALL New Idler Pulleys & Belt
New Fuel Filter
2 New Stock Coil Packs
Fuel Injection Service
Mobil Synthetic 5w20 Oil / Motorcraft Filter
Built & Racepreped 5r55w transmission with valve body & upgraded TC stall to 3400-3500rpms.
Energy Suspension transmission mount (Universal Mount Custom Fitted)
Moroso Trans Overflow Tank (Still awaiting shipment, Lines Run)
Custom Aluminum Driveshaft with HD U-Joints
Completely rebuilt IRS Diff with TSB Seals 31spline LSD & 3.90 Gear
Custom True Dual Exhaust From Stock Manifolds back with Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler & 3" Tips
200amp Alternator & New Battery
After Break-in We are seeing _____RWHP ______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT & ______MPG

UPDATE 10/01/2008: Another coil pack went out, so since I didn't want to buy another stock coil pack we went ahead & installed the NEW Weapon X Coils & Brisk LGS Plugs (We are dealers for both). We have a couple small issues and break-in time on the rear & tranny before we make our first pull, hopefully sometime this month. Going to see if we can reprogram the stock computer & change just the rear gear size to correct speedo & mpg.

Also awaiting deliver of some sway bay upgrade bushings.

VEHICLE WEIGHT with 1/2 Tank & Driver (155lbs) 4480_lbs

Next Mod is ignition: October 2008
Weapon X Ultra High Performance COPS
Brisk Racing LGS Plugs
186 RWHP 212 RWTQ 12.9-13.3 Air/Fuel WOT 16.2-19.3 MPG

Next Mod is Induction: Early November 2008
NEW BBK 1-Piece 78mm TB/Plenum
Stock Air Intake & Paper Filter
NEW TPS Sensor & IAC Valve
194 RWHP 217 RWTQ 12.9-13.5 Air/Fuel WOT ??? MPG
ALSO SAW A 10rwhp/10rwtq GAIN AT 5800rpms

Next Mod is Cooling & Pulleys: Late November
Electric Fan Conversion
NEW Waterpump without shaft mount
180 Thermostat (Hope we don’t have to update PI intake)
Underdrive Pulleys
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _______MPG

Next Mod Tuning:
Will Either Be SCT (Bamachips Custom SCT Tune) or Diablo (If Available Bye Then)
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _____ Timing _______MPG

Once we see were we are at with those mods, we will determine what is next.
Those mods will either be our CNC Ported Heads & Custom Cam
OR
Custom Turbo Kit
OR
Supercharged

Other Mods Will Also Include the following
Powerslot Rotors
Hawk Pads
New Painted Calipers
Wheels & Tires
Ground Force Lowering Kit
Custom Paint
HIDS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks mean. Did you have any troubles rebuilding the rear, was it any different than a solid 8.8? The trans looks ready to go!

Looks mean. Did you have any troubles rebuilding the rear, was it any different than a solid 8.8? The trans looks ready to go!

Its not that different, we rebuild IRS & solids all the time, IRS's are tricky, the preload is the hardest part, but pretty much the same bearings, gears, & ring & pinion...I'm almost wishing I had done 4.10's but I think the 3.90's may be borderline if we do a turbo build, its already breaking the rear tires loose....lol..

WOW what a pig, thing just weighted in at 4480lbs with me in it, we might have to shoot for 550rwhp...

WOW what a pig, thing just weighted in at 4480lbs with me in it, we might have to shoot for 550rwhp...

that sounds about right. my 03 with no one in it weighs in at 4350. Although im surprise that its 4480 without the AWD equipment. Have u considered removin the third row?

that sounds about right. my 03 with no one in it weighs in at 4350. Although im surprise that its 4480 without the AWD equipment. Have u considered removin the third row?
Yeah, I probably will remove more than that, just wanted to get a base weight to put in the Gtech pro to have some useful street info.
Although I may try another scale to see if its similiar, I thought it seemed high to me.
When I get really serious with the power adder I may strip it down more, I figured the AWD would have dropped more, but hey thats what we get for turning SUV's into sports cars...lol...We'll be doing alot of R&D so hopefully I'll have some useful info, can't wait to see what the dyno baseline is on this thing.

What kind of numbers did you run at the track with your N/A setup, if you have run it???

just wanted to get a base weight to put in the Gtech pro to have some useful street info.
Hah, I used to have one of those in college, I thought I was so cool.:rolleyes:

Hah, I used to have one of those in college, I thought I was so cool.:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of them for accuracy. I just use it to gauge minute gains, & difference in launching styles, for that its very useful, mostly the 0-60 time is about all its good for, there estimated power & torque are definately way off, this one does allow you to make a track run & recalibrate it with actual times to get the accuracy better....Once I get it on my dyno, I'll know more what it can actually do.

ALL AWD has been completly Removed (FOR SALE)

i might still be interested in this ...

i'm just trying to be 100% positive it can be done to convert my 2wd

Woah! nice undercarriage! all neat and detailed.

VEHICLE WEIGHT with 1/2 Tank & Driver (155lbs) 4480_lbs

hu? the stock curb weight of my 2wd explorer is 5360 lbs. How were you able to scrape nearly 1,000 lbs off? The Mountaineers aren't any lighter than the Explorers are they?

mmm, tis tis, sorry to criticize, but this trailer hitch is too whimpy for a powerful V8 such as yours. ;)

(dead links)

Looks like a fun power adder project.

If you shoot for 550rwhp then you had better rebuild the bottom end in that engine. :thumbsup:

You couldn't go over the axle with the exhaust?

mmm, tis tis, sorry to criticize, but this trailer hitch is too whimpy for a powerful V8 such as yours. ;)

flatlander_Driveline007.jpg
Yeah, & the ford factory hitch is nearly $500, & all the aftermarkets add on beneath the stock wimpy one..I'm working on all that too, have to pull a trailer oct 25th, I'll decide bye then what I'm doing, thinking http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~V82430.htm?vehicleid=20025622 that valley hitch covers the stock one & uses it as a brace.

Looks like a fun power adder project.

If you shoot for 550rwhp then you had better rebuild the bottom end in that engine. :thumbsup:

Definately not a problem, we run em through the shop regularly, 4.6 & 5.4 mod motors our our specialty. Just made 801rwhp in a 2000 lightning with a single turbo not too long ago....

You couldn't go over the axle with the exhaust?

Didn't want to really fight that one, we just set it up like the 03/04 cobra & went under the diff, alot easier to remove if we have to work on it also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woah! nice undercarriage! all neat and detailed.

hu? the stock curb weight of my 2wd explorer is 5360 lbs. How were you able to scrape nearly 1,000 lbs off? The Mountaineers aren't any lighter than the Explorers are they?

The AWD or 4wheel drive is quite heavy, not to mention that brick of a stock exhaust. I was actually hoping it would have been lighter...But we'll work on that too.

Back