Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project "Flatlander" 2002 Mounty Build-up to 450+rwhp

Project “Flatlander” 2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L Automatic AWD 117000 Miles Completely Stock
This is the very beginning of a hopeful 6-9 Month Process. This vehicle will be extensively R&D’d with new, existing, and custom products on the market complete with dyno results & mpg gains.
Since this is AWD we weren’t able to get some baseline dyno data before we did a few upgrades (But i have a part time tech's wife that has a 2002 2wd Mountaineer, one day we'll see if we can pry it away from here & strap it to the dyno to get an estimate) We have completely removed the complete AWD Drivetrain, replaced the front wheel hub bearings, new fuel filter & fresh Mobile Synthetic oil, some minor checks & maintanence before we began the build 2 months ago. Since I drive this on a midtown daily travel 15-20 miles one way to work, mpg will be more based on that for our normal results, long highway trips will also be datalogged when possible. Before the build began with it completely stock I averaged 15.8 to 16.1 mpg.

Here is what we have done so far:
Stock 4.6L with stock 16" wheels, suspension, & brakes
ALL AWD has been completly Removed (FOR SALE)
New Front Wheel Hubs
ALL New Idler Pulleys & Belt
New Fuel Filter
2 New Stock Coil Packs
Fuel Injection Service
Mobil Synthetic 5w20 Oil / Motorcraft Filter
Built & Racepreped 5r55w transmission with valve body & upgraded TC stall to 3400-3500rpms.
Energy Suspension transmission mount (Universal Mount Custom Fitted)
Moroso Trans Overflow Tank (Still awaiting shipment, Lines Run)
Custom Aluminum Driveshaft with HD U-Joints
Completely rebuilt IRS Diff with TSB Seals 31spline LSD & 3.90 Gear
Custom True Dual Exhaust From Stock Manifolds back with Magnaflow X-pipe Muffler & 3" Tips
200amp Alternator & New Battery
After Break-in We are seeing _____RWHP ______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT & ______MPG

UPDATE 10/01/2008: Another coil pack went out, so since I didn't want to buy another stock coil pack we went ahead & installed the NEW Weapon X Coils & Brisk LGS Plugs (We are dealers for both). We have a couple small issues and break-in time on the rear & tranny before we make our first pull, hopefully sometime this month. Going to see if we can reprogram the stock computer & change just the rear gear size to correct speedo & mpg.

Also awaiting deliver of some sway bay upgrade bushings.

VEHICLE WEIGHT with 1/2 Tank & Driver (155lbs) 4480_lbs

Next Mod is ignition: October 2008
Weapon X Ultra High Performance COPS
Brisk Racing LGS Plugs
186 RWHP 212 RWTQ 12.9-13.3 Air/Fuel WOT 16.2-19.3 MPG

Next Mod is Induction: Early November 2008
NEW BBK 1-Piece 78mm TB/Plenum
Stock Air Intake & Paper Filter
NEW TPS Sensor & IAC Valve
194 RWHP 217 RWTQ 12.9-13.5 Air/Fuel WOT ??? MPG
ALSO SAW A 10rwhp/10rwtq GAIN AT 5800rpms

Next Mod is Cooling & Pulleys: Late November
Electric Fan Conversion
NEW Waterpump without shaft mount
180 Thermostat (Hope we don’t have to update PI intake)
Underdrive Pulleys
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _______MPG

Next Mod Tuning:
Will Either Be SCT (Bamachips Custom SCT Tune) or Diablo (If Available Bye Then)
_____RWHP _______RWTQ ______Air/Fuel WOT _____ Timing _______MPG

Once we see were we are at with those mods, we will determine what is next.
Those mods will either be our CNC Ported Heads & Custom Cam
OR
Custom Turbo Kit
OR
Supercharged

Other Mods Will Also Include the following
Powerslot Rotors
Hawk Pads
New Painted Calipers
Wheels & Tires
Ground Force Lowering Kit
Custom Paint
HIDS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keeping my eye on this, anything else?

Not anything of late...its our busiest time of the year with tax season, I'm almost booked for like 5 weeks. Haven't even had time to wash it, its due for tires so wheels & tires will probably be the next mod. Been towing a 24' enclosed car trailer with no problem though.

Now this is weird, it was exactly one year ago today that you responded about the updates. So since it's been a year, what's the update? :D

Now this is weird, it was exactly one year ago today that you responded about the updates. So since it's been a year, what's the update? :D

Yeah, that is funny...We've been working in the shop 100-130 hours a week for months now, hadn't had a day off since christmas day...its somewhat on the back burner, off and end stuff. I tested our a Greenfilter Drop in picked up 4rwhp/5rwtq on the dyno. I've been slowly aquiring parts, there all on the shelf, I am about to do the groundforce kit and new monroe shock/struts soon, and either some 2010 mustang wheels or back to saleen s style rims, just hadn't decided yet, I've put almost 45K miles on it this past year, towing a 24' enclosed trailer and everythings been doing great. I think motor is getting kind of tired, not sure if I'm wanting to go my original plans for turbo or go N/A now that trick flow has the new head. Have just had alot more important projects going on, moveing into a new 9000sqft facility in about 5-6 weeks, launching a new ford and dodge parts website, just going to be a few busy months ahead, and I'm building a 03 cobra road course car, I think thats going to take alittle more of my attention for awhile.

i cant believe i read all 4 pages and there are only cool pics on the first one, lol

If you are looking at installing new wheels, I REALLY like the looks of the 2010 GT500's 19's:D I also would love to see a mild buildup of the 4.6 with the TF heads. Seems like it's fairly easy to get close to 350 HP N/A those heads and supporting mods. That's the route I would like to go once my money tree starts growing;)

Sounds like a cool project. I want to see this thing get completed! As you can see from my sig, I'm a fan of sleeper Explorers.

Sounds like a cool project. I want to see this thing get completed! As you can see from my sig, I'm a fan of sleeper Explorers.

Yeah, I love making things fast that just aren't suppose to be fast, I looked at the adrenaline long and hard, still am..I've seen your car before a few times too..Hows the E85 technology coming along for you?

Yeah, I love making things fast that just aren't suppose to be fast, I looked at the adrenaline long and hard, still am..I've seen your car before a few times too..Hows the E85 technology coming along for you?

Lovin the E85. I started buying my own E100 pure ethanol, and mixing it myself now, so I get true E85 every tankful, and am using 93 octane to mix it instead of 87 octane that the station uses. Makes it a tad more safe and dependable.

Back