Project: (Insert Name) 's Nursery | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Project: (Insert Name) 's Nursery

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well, with about four months left or so, I thought it was about time to start on the baby's nursery. Work is crazy right now, and time is limited, so this will be a slow process. With my history of procrastination, 75% of the work will probably be done within the week of he/she being born. :) But I thought I would keep a journal of it's progress here just for fun. Hopefully, I can make, at least, a little forward movement with it every weekend.

The challenge: A 12'x11' multifunction room. This room will need to serve three purposes; baby nursery, 2nd/guest bedroom, and computer room. It is also used for smaller purposes such as: file storage, billing storage, book storage, etc. Yea, that is a lot of stuff for such a small room, but I have confidence in making it work.

The pre pictures: It is a little messier in these pics than it usually is (I had already started moving stuff around), but for the most part............it is this crazy all the time. When you live in a VERY small house, stuff seems to stack up and get gathered, and most junk ends up in here. :p

8799prenursery1.jpg

8799prenursery3.jpg

8799prenursery2.jpg

Mission #1: Get rid of the computer hutch. The hutch was taking up about 2' x 4' of one corner. That is just too much space. So, the mission becomes: fit all the computer stuff in the closet. This project is also VERY budget based, so I hacked up the old hutch, and recycled the wood into the closet (plus one scrap 2x4). The closet is definately tight, only being about 38" x 23" on the inside, with a 22" door opening. The door has been yanked and is on its way to the attic.

Empty closet:
8799closethutch1.jpg

Most of the shelving in:
8799closethutch2.jpg

Computer stuff temporarily in:
8799closethutch3.jpg

That was all I got done today. Can't do too much at once and make a huge mess...............the wife (over emotional at this point) can't handle it. :) I still have to pull everything out and sand/prime/paint it, then run romex/coax/cat5 to the back wall, install light fixture on the ceiling, and then reinstall everything. Hopefully, that will be next weekend's project. The CPU will probably end up on the floor to free some space for a larger monitor. To conserve/compact space, I will probably go with a 19" monitor and use it as a TV also. The only real drawback I see so far with this setup, which will be multiplied with a bigger monitor, is that there isn't really any room for a mousepad. You used to be able to fit it on the keyboard shelf, but I had to cut that down to fit in the door opening, so it just has enough room for the keyboard. It shouldn't be a big deal though, it will fit somewhere........or I will build a little seperate shelf just for it.

Until the next update........................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Is his or her first ride home gonna be in the Ex?

Mine was in a '73 or so 442.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Looking good so far, that's pretty good how you got it all in the closet space like that. Keep it up and congrats on the soon-to-be new addition to the family.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
Looking good Robb...When did you get the regular computer? I thought you ONLY had a laptop....

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
nice, robb...... i am going to subscribe to this thread as i have to start planning for my new arrival too..... i have a little longer than 4 months, but not too much longer... feb. 3, 2005 is the prospective due date.

TunnelFear

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '94 XLT
We planned on spending the whole pregnancy slowing working up the nursery....HA, maybe the last 2 weeks

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Closet for the 'puter was a good idea and turned out nice. Dont know about the "no place for the mouse" issue, unless you move the moniter over and have the mouse on the moniter shelf. ???

nak4af

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
That was a good idea. I tried that for our computer but the closet had no power plugs so fortunatly we found a computer armoir that fit in our livingroom.

That's thinking outside of the box right there.

Maranda

Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Aviator 93Sport 99 PSD
Looks good! The kid won't mind the setup until age 10 or so anyway.

We're having to build a whole room and move a kid down there so the nursery is closer to us. In the meantime, throwing away a lot of crap, closet shelving, and drawers under the crib are in the plan. The creativity hurts my brain. LOL 25 weeks to go!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
B is due at Christmas (technically 12/22, but I say Christmas). The 2nd ultrasound, and sex determination, was supposed to be today, but won't be until tomorrow. The Dr.'s office has FAR from heard the last of that ordeal!! :fire:

Ryan, we have always used a desktop as B's computer, and mainly for storage. The laptop is my main computer, but laptop hard drives are too expensive for real storage, so we a desktop.

The "closet hutch" idea isn't new for us. Before we moved into the house, we lived in a large one bedroom apartment (30% bigger than our house :rolleyes: ), but it had an open floor plan, and I created a computer station in a double closet off of the dining room. This time though, I get to do it a little more permanent by actually installing 110V, CATV, light, and network in the closet.

Maranda, I know what you mean by the kid not really caring what the nursery looks like. Does anyone remember their nursery? I still know people that go all out with the pink or blue room and all that.............not here............well, not MY plan. ;) I am more interested in the room being functional than "baby like." It will probably stay neutral colored, and WILL NOT have those silly little cartoon borders around the room. :rolleyes: :p :D

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well, got the hutch completely done tonight. Had most of it done yesterday, but ran into a couple of connection problems with the network and cable modem.

Painted the whole thing with Rustoleum Textured grey paint, and, if I must say, looks bada$$. :D :p The closet is fully connected with 110v, cat5 connection, and coax.

So, Mission #1 is complete.....................need to figure out what Mission #2 is. :)

Attachments

• closethutch4.jpg
    closethutch4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 172

'96explorereddiebauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Nice!!!! Never thought of using a closet as a computer "room".

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
Hehe, If you plan on leaving you house vacant for a long time while away on holidays or something, you can cover the computer from thieves by putting the door back on :D

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Crankcase said:
Hehe, If you plan on leaving you house vacant for a long time while away on holidays or something, you can cover the computer from thieves by putting the door back on :D
And it will fit right on too. I mounted the desk just high enough so that the computer chair (in it's lowest position) will just fit underneath the keyboard shelf.

I would have preferred to leave the door on. There is now a whole mess of wires and cables under there that the baby doesn't need to be playing with. :eek: For safety sake, I would like to be able just to close off the closet until the computer is needed. But, it is a right swing door, and it is simply in the way when it is open. If it is fully open, it actually blocks part of the doorway into the room. If it were a left swing door, I could have made it work.

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
um.. make it a left swing. its not that hard to do!

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
and BTW..

jimabena74 said:
nice, robb...... i am going to subscribe to this thread as i have to start planning for my new arrival too..... i have a little longer than 4 months, but not too much longer... feb. 3, 2005 is the prospective due date.

WTF?!?!?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
jasonb said:
um.. make it a left swing. its not that hard to do!
Naw, not worth it. Filling in the jam where the hinges were would be a pita, plus maybe having to swap the knob from side to side. I am gonna let it be for now. If it is a problem in the future, I will do it though.

MISSION 2: Paint

Mission complete!

btw: paint isn't as light as it appears in pics, that is just weird lighting

edit: the paint color just looks flat fruity in these pics! it is actaully a pretty cool medium blue

Attachments

• nurserypaint3.jpg
    nurserypaint3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 139
  • nurserypaint2.jpg
    nurserypaint2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 138
  • nurserypaint1.jpg
    nurserypaint1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 138

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TravisC

My bro, JoshC in Iraq
Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport