Project Jersey X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Jersey X

Ok its about quarter to 8pm here in jersey and i just got done ordering 4, 31X10.5X15 Kumho Venture MT tires from tirerack and 4, 15X8 US Wheel 94 Series (they look like chrome nuggets but they are a mix of chrome with black inners,, NICE!!!:D :D :D ). I will order my 3" PA body lift later in the week i think or wait until the tires come in...
I will post pics tommorow of what the X looks like now and i will post pics when the rims and tires come in... don't worry i will make sure you see my rig's transformation from start to finish... i will also add in a price list of all modifications done and when they were installed... personally i feel this is the gradest advantage for anyone who is thinking about lifting their truck in anyway...
so far...
1. Dynomax After-Cat Exhaust -- $113.90(Summit-Racing)
Installed --- May 2002
2. Warn Manual Locking Hubs -- $233.35(MeadowLands 4X4)
Installed --- One Cold ass day - Jan 2003
3. 4 - U.S. Wheel 94 Series -- $191.75(Summit-Racing)
Installed --- Another Cold Day - Feb 2003
4. 4 - 31X10.5X15 Kumho Venture MT -- $421.28(TireRack)
Installed --- Feb 2003
5. Almost forgot the truck. 1 - '92 Ford Xplorer Xlt
$5500.00
Purchased --- June 2001

Pics will be added next post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice another Jersey rig!

ok i just recieved the most ruddesst wake up call ever...
tirerack called me this morning and informed me that ford has a liability issue with them selling any tires over the recomended tire size.... to make a long story short the dude on the phone told me there was no way they were going to sell me those tires... like an idiot i told him i'll just put in another truck that didn't have the same issue.. so he said that if i did that he still wouldn't put it through... well let me tell u what.. u do not mess with a New Jeresey Italian in the morning.... :fire::nono::fire: I GET WHAT I WANT:fire::fire:.. so i go back on tirerack and put the tires through for a 97 jeep wrangler and sure enough 5 minutes later.. they call ... all nice and cheery like ... so i ask to speek with their superior and from some nice a__ kissen of this dude tellin him their for my girls 97 wrangler he says he'll put the order through... so the tires are still on their way...:shoot:

so for anyone lookin to purchase tires from tirerack beware do not put them in for an explorer... do it for a wrangler or somethin else that has been reviewed before

tirerack is an excelent company, cheep prices and their service is excellent... except for this little incident (which i can understand and all but really!!) so i would not rule them out... this is my third set of tires i've ordered from them and i will continue to ... but when its time for 33's its for my girls 97 wrangler and not my X

yea its been discussed many times that tire rack wont sell u tiresfor an xplorer..... i think its all b/s they should just make sure u understand that they arent reliable

but like i said its b/s

bazooka.gif
tire rack
PS i did that becuase they wont sell them( the tires) but i also think they are a great place and have great prices

peace

PICTURES

Ok as promised i have photos for u guys of project jersey x... so, sit back get a beer or a coke and enjoy...

Before:
14852jerseyx-before.jpg

and another
14852jerseyx-before-back.jpg

the parts (31" Kumho Ventures, 15X8 blackmods, skyjacker hydro 7000's, and a 3" Performance Accesory Body Lift)
14852parts.jpg

Jersey X on the lift at Seers Automotive...
14852jerseyx-onlift.jpg

and the after shots:eek: :eek:
14852jerseyx-after.jpg

14852jerseyx-front.jpg

14852jerseyx-after-back.jpg

14852jerseyx-31_snolift.jpg

oh i can't forget my main man and JerseyX's mascot Forrest...

14852thedog.jpg

14852thedog2.jpg

so there u go as promised...
also, i have yet to install the body lift or shocks... the shocks are going on this weekend and like i said previously the body lift is pending a temperate weekend... and like always i will post pics with each new item...
so i hope you like... if you do or don't let me know.. post a reply...
anthony

ps. update on price list...
1 Official Service Manual $176.95
1 package of chrome lug nuts with wheel locks $26.49
Seers Lifetime mounting and balancing $114.35

mdlrvenom

The X is LOOKING GREAT!!!!!

Robb

ps: If you could, please PM or email me with any probs you have with the Kumhos. They are what I am planning on getting when I get my 35s.

Indiglo gauges

just got done ordering some new gauges for my rig...
Indiglo... this is what they look like...
FRD-EXP-9194-WTXX-XXRP-SVGX.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: not bad for $53.00

>>>:smoke: :smoke: special thanks to dejello... hey dejello :chug: the first ones on me :chug: <<<

Hey- its nice to see im not the only one in Jersey workin on an X. Got a few questions though:

What exactly is the deal with tirerack and not selling for explorers? Why?

I was just doing a TT/Shackle lift and 4 door leaf springs in back and P265/75R16 tires- i shouldnt need gears for this right? Most i was planning on having done is the odometer re-calibrated. I dont do "major" off roading- but theres a few places on the way to seaside (u might know where im talking about) thats fun to go; and i practically live in the woods so off-road adventures are a regular here.

Where are u located in NJ? I go to Rutgers but i commute from central jersey, Hamilton. My best bud "who bought a 97 sport" went to college in new hampshire so ive been left here all alone- no one to go wheelin with!

Send me an email when you get a chance so we can talk more- my X is also still a project. I did mostly cosmetic stuff so far, now im getting to the lift and tire portion- dont wanna go too big though cause i use it on the street a lot. I just want it to look a little more "mean" than every other of the 5 billion explorers you see during a 3 minute drive.

My pics are at www.geocities.com/sk1er17

My email is sk1er18@aol.com

Hope to hear from ya soon!

-Matt

Originally posted by sk1er17

Been discussed on the site alot: It's the whole firestone tire/"rollover" thing... They think explorer's will roll over if a non-stock sized tire is put on them.. They are afraid of getting sued, or otherwise being seen as liable... It's stupid BS... Discount tire had no problem putting a non-stock tire on mine before I got it lifted... Oh well, different policies..

Not to mention mine rolls less now than it did when it was stock... Go figure:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sk1er17
Hey- its nice to see im not the only one in Jersey workin on an X. Got a few questions though:

I was just doing a TT/Shackle lift and 4 door leaf springs in back and P265/75R16 tires- i shouldnt need gears for this right? Most i was planning on having done is the odometer re-calibrated. I dont do "major" off roading- but theres a few places on the way to seaside (u might know where im talking about) thats fun to go; and i practically live in the woods so off-road adventures are a regular here.

Where are u located in NJ? I go to Rutgers but i commute from central jersey, Hamilton. My best bud "who bought a 97 sport" went to college in new hampshire so ive been left here all alone- no one to go wheelin with!

Send me an email when you get a chance so we can talk more- my X is also still a project. I did mostly cosmetic stuff so far, now im getting to the lift and tire portion- dont wanna go too big though cause i use it on the street a lot. I just want it to look a little more "mean" than every other of the 5 billion explorers you see during a 3 minute drive.

My pics are at www.geocities.com/sk1er17

My email is sk1er18@aol.com

Hope to hear from ya soon!

-Matt

There are more Jersey explorer's than you think! :) i can think of atleast 5 off the top of my head. Depending on what gears you have you shouldnt need to regear. I regeared from 3.27s to 4.10s when i put my 33s on and the 4.10s will be real nice when i get the 35s on my truck. Also if youre interested in doing some wheeeling check out this thread.
Dead Link Removed

Hey.... Im from NJ... well... was till NJ kicked my ass out....

2. Warn Manual Locking Hubs -- $233.35(MeadowLands 4X4)

Did Ralph give ya any crap about lifting an Explorer? :D he gave me the whole lecture that it WILL roll, to this day, even after doing a SAS, I still havent rolled, close, but didnt. I bought a blazer from him back in 96.

Good luck with the truck, maybe see ya sometime out here at paragon to test that beast out......

ralph never gave me any trouble wanting to lift my X except he wanted too much for the work and the lift kit for my old X, he even had and old Bronco II out side that was lifted

ALMOST SPENT THE NIGHT IN THE WOODS

WELL I HAD THE BUG TO GO WHEELING THIS WEEKEND. IT HAD SNOWED ON THURSDAY SO I KNEW SPLIT ROCK WOULD BE SOME GOOD WHEELIN... SO ON SATURDAY I HAD MY FRIEND MIKE COME ALONG WITH ME... BUT TODAY LIKE AN IDOIT I WENT BY MYSELF:nono: SO EVERY THING WAS GOING FINE AND I CROSSED A STREAM AND WAS FEELIN GOOD WHEN I NOTICED THIS AREA

14852split_rock-12.jpg

14852split_rock-13.jpg

WELL I THOUGHT MY TRUCK COULD TAKE IT... BOY WAS I EVER WRONG... WERE MY TRUCK IS IN THE FIRST PICTURE IS THE WAY TO GO IN TWO BIG ROCKS TO CROSS THEN IN THE SECOND PIC YOU CAN SEE LIKE A LEDGE THAT YOU HAVE TO GO UP... MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT... I HAVE OPEN DIFFS (NEED I SAY MORE!!) WELL WHEN I COULDNT MAKE IT UP THE LEDGE I WENT TO REVERSE OUT. THE ONLY WAY I CAN DESRIBE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT IS TO SAY YOU'VE ALL PLAYED PIN BALL BEFORE RIGHT??? WELL IMAGINE MY TRUCK AS THE BALL AND THE ROCKS AS THE FLIPPERS.. THE ROCKS THREW THE TRUCK ALL OUT OF WACK AND I ENDED UP HIGH SIDING ON A ROCK...

14852split_rock-14.jpg

WELL LUCKILY I HAD A COME-A-LONG AND TOW STRAP WITH ME, EVEN THEN ONCE I GOT THE TRUCK STRAIGHT AGAIN THE ONLY WAY I GOT OUT WAS TO LITERALLY FLOOR IT... NOT THE PRETTIEST SITE BUT KNOCK ON WOOD I MADE IT OUT AND THE TRUCK HAS NO SIGNS OF INJURY...

SO AS FOR ME I WILL NEVER HEAD INTO THE WOODS OR ONTO HARD TERRAIN LIKE THIS WITHOUT ANOTHER TRUCK WITH ME... LIKE EVERYTHING I LEARN THE HARD WAY...

THE REST OF THESE PICS ARE BEFORE I GOT STUCK... SPLIT ROCK IS BEUTIFUL AFTER A SNOW SHOWER... IN MY OPINION IT IS THE GREATEST TIME TO GO THERE IT LOOKS SO CLEAN...
SO ENJOY THE PICS AND POST A REPLY IF YOU WANT...
14852split_rock.jpg

14852split_rock-1.jpg

14852split_rock-2.jpg

14852split_rock-3.jpg

14852split_rock-5.jpg

14852split_rock-9.jpg

14852split_rock-7.jpg

14852split_rock-6.jpg

HERE I LET FORREST DRIVE FOR A LITTLE BIT:eek:
14852split_rock-4.jpg

14852split_rock-11.jpg

14852split_rock-10.jpg

ALL IN ALL SHE HANDLED REALLY WELL FOR HAVING 31'S AND NO LIFT... WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT NOW IF I HAD THE BODY LIFT ON AND LOCKERS FRONT AND REAR... THE AREA WHERE I GOT STUCK WOULD HAVE BEEN A WALK IN THE PARK... FOR THE WHOLE TRIP I AIRED MY TIRES DOWN TO 16 P.S.I IN ALL FOUR CORNERS....
HOPE YOU ENJOYED.... I KNOW I DID
:D

you got stuck on that small concrete bridge, didn't you:D

MUSKRAT

NO I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH TRACTION TO GET MY WHEEL UP IT... MY TRUCK WAS SIDE WAYS IN THE GULLY WHICH RAN DOWN HILL ITS HARD TO SEE IN THE PICTURE SO YOU'LL HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT... POWERTRAX IS NEXT FOR MY RIG!!!!!!

Nice truck, Gorgeous Rims!

I too learned about open Diffs the hard way too...in the sand.

Made it out and your rigs in tact! Chalk that one up to experience! Tell the truth- the dog had the I was just about to tear this place up look! Busted him, didn'tcha?

LOL... HE HAD A BLAST BACK THERE... IF IT WASN'T FOR HIM WHEN I GOT STUCK I THINK I WOULD HAVE LOST MY SANITY

yeah, I need to find our pics of Split Rock, we were climbing a trail, that looked like a trail, up a hill, with a stream running down. Namitey had some trouble, but I'm a lousy spotter, and I walked right up with 125 wb, and 3.73lsd. We saw that bridge last year, but figured that with stock trucks, not such a good idea. We'll be going back there, once I fix my truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hehehehe you got stuck on the concrete bridge i wanted to drive over but the rat wouldnt let me :) I have pics of us playing in the same stream ill post them here when i find them...

Back