Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am kinda holding off until I have some rollers to move it around with. I found some but the guy had sold them before I got a hold of him. So still looking might just say screw it and order rims roll it around on the 37s. Only bad part is I will have to air down to get it out of the garage. Really wish I was in the new place already but that won't be until end of Nov. On another note wife was standing outside talking to me about the Lincoln and tells me she wants it back when I am done. LOL I was like what?!? She says you have the Merc and Double R. I want this one. :/ I said you have a new truck she says I don't care I want Lazyboy. I said ok it can be your wheeler. She can't drive the new truck and Lazy at the same time so it is a win win for me. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

alright stang, i've pulled up a chair, get to workin

alright stang, i've pulled up a chair, get to workin

I need to hurry get it done before we move next month. Helped get this Blazer on the road last week. I built his SAS Dana 30 and helped him get an 8.8 in the rear.

Still has a ton of work to do on it. But it coming along slow. Only time anything gets done is when I take time to help. I think he bit off a little more then he can handle. I had to build custom coil buckets. A crossmember with the arm mounts on it. And got his track bar on. Also helped him get Astro Van box for since it has reversed pitman arm like a Ford truck.
20121015_122012.jpg

20121015_121946.jpg

20121015_121927.jpg

Teaser Pics-Incredible. Cant wait to see this thing/progress/etc.

Uh oh lol got commandeered.. Whereabouts is the new place located?

Yep she was telling one of my buddies today that the Lincoln was going to be hers. LOL New place is on the East side of Parker(Rural but still only about 10 mins from downtown Parker). It is 15 acres, nice sized house, and already has a 30x40 pole barn. First thing I am doing is setting up the pole barn. It needs concrete floor and and some electrical work. Then I will just make improvements to it as I go. Going to get waste oil furnace so I use the old gear oil to heat the shop. Plan on getting a lift for it first part of next year. Also think I might start building flatbed trailers and Offroad utility trailers since I will have the room to do it(when I get slow which not sure that will happen anytime soon). I have few other wild ideas but we will see. There is about 600 ft long Gulch on the East side of the Property which make a nice wheeling pit and place to do target practice with the AR15. LOL I can't wait.

Been looking for wheels and tires for rollers. No luck. Never thought it would be this hard to find some. So I ordered brand new wheels and ordered some 6x5.5 to 5x4.5 spacers hope to have them by mid week(going to use old Aviator wheels). I was going to start the rear tomorrow but without rollers I can't afford to have the Lincoln taking up my garage space all week.

Kinda surprised that you weren't able to find and explorer or mustang wheels for rollers, there's always wheels for Hyundais for sale near me, same bolt pattern. Could even use some Pontiac grand prix wheels.. 5x115 mm

Kinda surprised that you weren't able to find and explorer or mustang wheels for rollers, there's always wheels for Hyundais for sale near me, same bolt pattern. Could even use some Pontiac grand prix wheels.. 5x115 mm

I have plenty of those. The problem is the 9.75 has massive 13 inch rotors so you have to have 16-17 wheel to fit. I redrilled the axle shafts to 5x5.5 so finding a 16-17 wheel in 5x5.5 bolt pattern and tire is pretty hard(Dodge Truck has them but everyone wants fortune for them). Cheap ones I have found so far they were sold. The spacers will get me by. The rims are on BO but are expected to ship first week of Nov. I should have planned this out a little better but whatever another week or two won't kill. It will fly once I have the wheels. I ordered the front gears last week they should be here Tues. All the stuff going on with buying the new house has me sidetracked.

Didn't get a chance to work on the Linc today except a little tonight. The buyers of our house did an inspection today so they needed the house for 3 hours in the middle of the day so kinda messed up my day. But I am excited in about a month I will be moving. I built the brackets for the leaf springs. Here are some pics. Going to start the rear swap tomorrow now that I have everything I need.

20121027_184436.jpg

20121027_193130.jpg

20121027_193222.jpg

Out with old and time for some new....
20121028_105923.jpg

Leaf sprung 3rd gen.... Are you kidding me?!?!?
20121028_141009.jpg

Front bracket welded in. I just put a few good welds since I am pretty positive it is staying here but if not it won't be as hard to move.
20121028_141030.jpg

If you don't mind, can we get some more pics of the setup?

Here are few more pics. I got the rear mount in. As you can see rear AC/heat box is kinda close so that is reason I built the rear brackets the way did. The frame is 4" narrower in the rear. So to fix the issue I used 2x3" rect tube to bring the bracket out to where I need it to be. I also dropped the bracket down to give me clearance for the climate plumbing.

Using the stock Chevy shackles until the new ones I ordered show.
20121028_181920.jpg

Driver side AC/heat plumbing you can see how close it is. I had to push it out of the way and tweak it a little for clearance.
20121028_181901.jpg

Here you can see from the inside of the frame how much I dropped my bracket below the frame.
20121028_181832.jpg

Can't wait to get the axle in tomorrow and see how she sits. There is a good chance I am going to have to modify bracket that runs under the driveshaft and holds the gas tank up. It is keeping the drive shaft from dropping.

Looking good! I was wondering about how you were going to do it. When I do this to mine, I am thinking about using a Ranger rear hanger, like this, for mine.
TBnTGwdNMsVZHNc5TmauOZZhzIptx5b8S8AL58Ioav8JePYcS4.jpg
Should be just about the 2" off the frame.

Looking good! I was wondering about how you were going to do it. When I do this to mine, I am thinking about using a Ranger rear hanger, like this, for mine.
TBnTGwdNMsVZHNc5TmauOZZhzIptx5b8S8AL58Ioav8JePYcS4.jpg
Should be just about the 2" off the frame.

Yeah I aware of those (Look at my Double R build) you lose too much lift with those and they are thin metal designed for light weight Ranger not a heavy Ex. Plus if you look at your frame after IRS it jumps way up so you will lose a lot more lift cause of that too. So I figured this was the best way to get free lift. The stock Chevy leafs ride like dream since they are so long and flat. So if I can keep from running lift springs I want to. I am running same leafs on my Mountaineer and Double R. I want the Lincoln to be cushy and nice ride. I plan on using this as a DD. :thumbsup:

Back