Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got the rack and pinion out. Still need to cut the crossmember out to make room for the steering box. I picked up some parts to hook up the box today. I was going to cut the crossmember out Sat but my buddy blew up his Chevy playing in the gulch. So I had to take the Merc down to save him.

Here is pic of Merc saving the day.
20130209_144841_zps0f7e208b.jpg

He blew up the front driveshaft which grenaded the upper control then axle flipped and wedged his steering. All cause he watched me walk up this spot in Double R in reverse 2 times earlier in the day when it was snow covered then he tried it. LOL. I was able to get him down then I had to build a new route up with the Merc so I could winch his axle around to pull the arm so I could fix it. It was funny. Since he never even made it up he was more upset about that then the fact he broke his truck.

Bring it to Moab

PLEASE

WoW another one of the craziest and coolest builds I have ever seen. Even more insane when you see the interior!! Cant get enough of this one!!

If I have it ready I might have to bring it out to Moab.

I picked up a bunch of the parts I need to make the steering box work at the junk yard on Monday. Should have time at the end of the week to work on it. I got the lights up in the shop so now I don't have to quit for the day when it gets dark... :D

20130212_153210_zps5a1c5354.jpg

Got the rack and pinion crossmember cut out. The plasma cutter made short work of it.
20130215_170902_zpsdfe0031d.jpg

This rear crossmember for the control arms is going to have to go I believe.
20130215_171202_zps4e7a2877.jpg

Lots of room under here now...
20130215_170915_zpscee35bf1.jpg

You can see there isn't shortage of room for steering box like in the 2nd Gen V8 trucks...
20130215_170935_zps265e6d6d.jpg

Supposed to be nice tomorrow so going to try and stay on it most of the day and get the box in. Once I have it squared away I can build the track bar. Just don't want to build the track bar and then realize oh crap no room for the steering box. LOL

If you look at the top of the pic you can see the oil filter is right up against the steering box. So I am going to order a relocation kit for the filter. Same thing I had to do on the Merc. But it is not near as bad as the Merc for clearance.
20130216_140555_zps2a97d6b2.jpg

Going to have to build a brace for lower part of the box. Should fit nicely.
20130216_140719_zpsb43a40f6.jpg

Could you take a minute and measure the height at the top of your wheel wells? It looks about the same height as mine sits right now but I wanted to cross check with you on height. I'm actually at the same point as you right now, no steering :( but its on it's own weight. Thanks!

Could you take a minute and measure the height at the top of your wheel wells? It looks about the same height as mine sits right now but I wanted to cross check with you on height. I'm actually at the same point as you right now, no steering :( but its on it's own weight. Thanks!
I believe it was 12" from top of tire to top of wheel opening when I checked the other day.

Gotcha thanks. And those are 33" Coopers?

Oh wow I thought they only went up to 33. Well i feel dumb I didn't think they looked that small.
What do you think of the height compared to Merc and Double R as far as COG?

Oh wow I thought they only went up to 33. Well i feel dumb I didn't think they looked that small.
What do you think of the height compared to Merc and Double R as far as COG?

Not sure if you looked at the pics of sitting next to the Merc but it is at least 7-8 inches taller. It is over 7 foot tall. The frame on Merc sits at 20-22 inches off the ground to bottom of frame. Lazy is 24 inches from frame to floor. Double R is 22-24 inches frame to floor. I am not a fan of huge lift but didn't really have a lot of choice in this one. I might be able to lower the truck 2 inches but that would be it. Problem is the rear does not have any provisions for a straight axle in the frame. So right now as it sit the frame is around 8 inches from axle tube.

Yeah it definitely looks huge compared to the others. I'm kind of at the same spot that to drop it either puts the front leaves at a bad angle or I'd have to take out some leaves. and either way it would only go down about 2". At the same time I like the 23-24" frame height lol. I wanted to see what you thought about the height as far as safety since you've done so many of these swaps.

Yeah it definitely looks huge compared to the others. I'm kind of at the same spot that to drop it either puts the front leaves at a bad angle or I'd have to take out some leaves. and either way it would only go down about 2". At the same time I like the 23-24" frame height lol. I wanted to see what you thought about the height as far as safety since you've done so many of these swaps.

Lazy is ok being higher since it has full width axles making it more stable. If you have full widths you will probably be ok. Really boils down to how you drive and just picking your lines so you don't get in a hairy spot off chamber. Also depends how you wanna wheel. If you wanna do crazy stuff then keep it low if you want to wheel mild stuff being tall shouldn't be a big deal.

Most of Holy Cross you would be fine on. But there were a few spots about filled my pants getting off camber one was next to 30 foot waterfall. Double R started leaning that way so I goosed it that way if I did roll I would go into a tree instead off the edge into the waterfall. LOL
00049_Capture_1_zps6ccbdc2f.jpg

Unfortunately it's narrow and I hope to play on the rocks lol. I'll be careful and if I get that oh sh** feeling too much I guess it wouldn't be too bad to rebuild the front pack.

Back