Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What's the plan for the explorer? Gonna remain the mother in law mobile?

Yeah then I will probably sell it. I didn't really want her driving our new truck while she was here. And the Aviator even after the steering will need a bunch of detail stuff to make it road worthy(not that I would want her to drive it anyway). I need to hurry and get the Lincoln on road.

Got a little bit done today. Not as much as I wanted but glad to get any time to work on it.

Chevy brake lines plumbed right up no fuss...
20130327_151614_zpsbd8cfe6e.jpg

Tie rod in...
20130327_163918_zpsf2344d50.jpg

Coils should work great!
20130327_164323_zpsb6d48b23.jpg

Drag link in. Still need to work on the box and track bar. But the axle is center up so it should be a breeze. Days are getting longer so I can work on it later now.
20130327_174456_zps3aa0b5fa.jpg

Do you have part #'s for the brake hoses and the tie rod ends, I've been thinking about tie rods like those for my SAS.

Do you have part #'s for the brake hoses and the tie rod ends, I've been thinking about tie rods like those for my SAS.
Steering kit is from Ballistic Fab on page 2. Brake lines are page 4.

Hey nice build up i just read through it and i like what you done. do have a question though why did you do coils and not coil overs?

Not coil over fan they are expensive and PITA when they blow and they will. Say you blow one out what do you do while you get it warrantied? Leave your truck on blocks? For buggy they are fine for a DD I will pass.

Not coil over fan they are expensive and PITA when they blow and they will. Say you blow one out what do you do while you get it warrantied? Leave your truck on blocks? For buggy they are fine for a DD I will pass.

Have an extra seal kit on hand, and rebuild the shock in an hour. Doesn't sound like a big enough deal to me to write off coilovers.

What about recharging it? Do you carry a bottle of nitro with you too? LOL I can name more reason like only one mounting point at the top and bottom. Guess I better carry some spare bolts too. And hope the mount didn't get jacked when the bolt broke. If you can build it so it fits were a coil goes so when it blows so you can throw a coil in there I am cool with that. But otherwise I will pass.

Charging them would be the same as charging a shock. You can drive without the shock charged, the springs will still hold the vehicle up. Air works fine too, nitro isn't absolutely necessary. And the bolt issue...your tie rod has one bolt at either end, links have one bolt at either end, your engine has one bolt on either side. Lots of crucial parts are held on by only one bolt. If you're that worried about breaking a bolt, you should be carrying hundreds of them, just in case. And if you're carrying spares for those parts, then what's a couple more?

Expensive, on the other hand, I agree with you on that one! ;)

Pics of what I did.

F150 and 3rd gen intermediate shafts combined...
20130405_171516_zps4eef95ee.jpg

Tight fit going to have to get creative with power steering lines...
20130405_181226_zpsf98e6b89.jpg

20130405_181244_zpsfb22064e.jpg

Plating the frame to brace the steering box...
20130406_085609_zps9a60e723.jpg

20130406_085635_zps3f2e82e7.jpg

Didn't take many pics of the track bar setup...
20130406_183852_zps377ce974.jpg

When I first tried to drive it I realized the bolts I had were too short holding the box two pulled loose. So I had to run to Lowes and pick up some longer ones. Which sucked cause I was excited to drive it.
20130406_183019_zpsc456afdb.jpg

I can imagine the steering box would have been easier if the Lincoln had a 4.0 V6 instead of a DOHC V8. I still have one more hurdle to deal with on the steering box. Has to do with retarded cooling system that is in the way of hooking up the hydraulic lines for the steering box. I didn't feel comfortable dropping the steering box any lower. So I will have figure out way to make it work. Should be removing the struts and putting the coils in soon. Just glad to get it to the point I can move it in and out of the shop when I want to.

Drove it some more yesterday. With the 5.13 gears out back truck just gets up and moves!
20130407_090309_zps4726da16.jpg

Front bumper is going to have to go soon. LOL
20130407_075504_zps03ce490b.jpg

I will be working on finding a Tcase for it now.

Great stuff!! It really is massive.

Very inspiring stuff for us 3rd/4th Gen ppl.

Awesome build. My question is how's the front ride with using the struts. I see you plan on running coils but other than flex is there another reason? I wanna tackle this on my explorer but I replaced all 4 struts less than 6 months ago and I'd like to use them instead of spend more money on coils.

Awesome build. My question is how's the front ride with using the struts. I see you plan on running coils but other than flex is there another reason? I wanna tackle this on my explorer but I replaced all 4 struts less than 6 months ago and I'd like to use them instead of spend more money on coils.

It is pretty rough riding. I doubt you would even need a sway bar. :D If you could find softer spring rate for the coil on the strut you might be good. The leafs in the rear ride awesome so I can't wait to get the coils upfront. Maybe this weekend.

Ok thanks for the info. Looks sweet as hell

Back