• Register Today It's free!

Project Ozplorer. Day 1.

Shane Scurr

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT,
I was looking for a Series 2 to take the family four wheel driving. I happened find a 1999 model XLT SOHC V6 on Gumtree for $500. The guy selling it was the ex-drummer of the Aussie band the Radiaitors. It had a dead motor, but the suspension was recently done up and the body and interior where in good shape. We went for a road trip about 160Km (99miles) to a Northern New South Wales town Mullumbimby. It was in good condition so I brought it. It cost another $150 to bring it up on a backload. When I went to check it out and when I lifted the bonnet I found a large Carpet Snake. Over the next 2 years’ things were tough so nothing happened it was parked up. Well I was finally able to save up some more money to start looking for a motor. I looked on Gumtree again and then looked on Ebay. This is where I found a 1997 it was going for $150 with only a couple of hours to go so I bid on it. I ended up getting it for $305 it was also in NSW at a little town called Forster about 650Km south (404miles). This one wasn’t as neat as the 1999 but were able to drive it home.
Well today I got my 2 of my sons Harrison 20, and Nicolas 16 to come and start pulling out the old motor from the 99.
Total to date $955.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the replacement motor rattle at start-up or while idling? If so, now's the time to replace the timing chain components while you can get at them easily.

The timing chain components are the weak parts on these engines (4.0L SOHC V6). It eventually leads to their death if not addressed. The hydraulic chain tensioners are a poor design, requiring oil pressure to come up before they start doing their job. I'm in the process of adding a pre-oiling system to my latest SOHC acquisition (an '01 Sport Trac) to maximize its engine's life. The other weak parts are the front and rear timing chain cassettes. The early ones were made of a plastic that tended to break and drop pieces into the oil pan, blocking the oil pick-up. Remove the lower oil pan while the engine's out to see if there are any large tan plastic pieces in there. If so the cassettes are broken.

Good luck with your project.

Yup, do a good once over on the replacement engine. I lost my first 4.0 SOHC at 162k. Do all the seals and timing set while it's out of the truck. Cheap insurance.

Great advice guys. It sounded OK when we drove it back from Forster over 400 miles as mentioned. Also thinking of doing a Transgold update to the Auto. Would like to know more about that pre-oiling system Koda2000.
Thanks again, great to get the feedback keep it coming!

Great advice guys. It sounded OK when we drove it back from Forster over 400 miles as mentioned. Also thinking of doing a Transgold update to the Auto. Would like to know more about that pre-oiling system Koda2000.
Thanks again, great to get the feedback keep it coming!

Read the thread below. My setup will be basically like David's, but constructed with off-the-self parts and w/out the remote oil filter. I've sourced all the parts needed and the cost will be around $200 U.S. If you have any questions after reading, just ask.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429004

Well it has been a while. I have purchased a whole heap of stuff from Rockauto. We are going to do a full engine rebuild including new pistons, timing kit, brakes, some front end components, tyres a snorkel roof basket, some 7" LED spot lights and a 24" light bar.

Can't wait to see this thing! Post up some pictures when you can!

Here are some pics before the start. 2nd one is with the Python I got for free!

10363097_658399517576784_6355936726525695073_n.jpg

10274060_658399647576771_4116655303744318542_n.jpg

Back