Project Resurrection. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Resurrection.

Well I figure I'd start a thread of this. I'm really not sure where this will go....:rolleyes:

So I picked up Keepers 2000 Explorer Sport, with plans to make into a fun toy to wheel. However after getting it home I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts.:rolleyes: It's in pretty bad shape. Much worse then I expected:(

The whole driver side is toast, and I'm not even sure it can be pushed out enough to be even close to what it was. There is a good 1 1/2" gap between the door jam, where the quarter panel stretched inward. Looks like the front end A-arm may be bent, and the rear axle may be gone too. Everything shifted back there in the accident, and looks like the axle or a shaft is bent. :(

So at this point it's really going to come down to what the frame looks like. I have to do some measurements to see if it's square, or even close. If the Frame is ok, we will probably go on with the project , just may go a different direction. Less body, more tube. If I can come up with the money I'm thinking F-Toy Cage:D However if the frame is toast, there really is no point in going on, there is just way to much damage. At that point the only thing salvageable (besides small parts) is the drive train. Which does run and drive good:thumbsup:

Our plan was to drive it home yesterday...as you can see that didn't happen:( the rear axle was causing the wheel to wobble so bad we knew we would never make it the 45 miles home. We originally thought it was the wheel, as it was cracked. But after swapping the spare on, it had no effect. :thumbdwn:

attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are parts coming off of JP for this project? Or will you have two toys now?

Are parts coming off of JP for this project? Or will you have two toys now?

hmmm...sell JP and buy a Hendrix cage and a set of 60's.... Intersting idea:D

At this point and time JP will not be touched.

Some damage pics:
Notice the lack of space between rear of wheel and body
DSCN0086.jpg

notice wheel damage at 9 oclock
DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

You paid to have it towed? Couldn't you have towed it home yourself or am i missing something? Anyways, hopefully you can make something out of it.

You've got a bender, i say go to town and bend up your own chassis:D

You paid to have it towed? Couldn't you have towed it home yourself or am i missing something? Anyways, hopefully you can make something out of it.

You've got a bender, i say go to town and bend up your own chassis:D

AAA my friend. :D didn't cost me a dime

Our plan was to drive it home yesterday...as you can see that didn't happen:( the rear axle was causing the wheel to wobble so bad we knew we would never make it the 45 miles home. We originally thought it was the wheel, as it was cracked. But after swapping the spare on, it had no effect. :thumbdwn:

Bent axle shaft, at the flange.

Happens on Toyota axles alot.

Bent axle shaft, at the flange.

Happens on Toyota axles alot.

That is what I'm hoping, so I can just toss another axle shaft in.:thumbsup: However it has weird gears in it. open 3.27's :confused: I didn't even know you could get them that high!

The Explorer axle I put in my Ranger had 3.27 gears in it. It was a '98 2WD.

AAA my friend. :D didn't cost me a dime

thats how i had to get my navajo from indiana where the tranny went out almost 96 miles to my brothers house , thank god for AAA lol

But I can tell you we're talking of using my dad's '80 F250 for a axle donation. D50 TTB up front and D60 Rear. I know why D50 TTB? Because I have it...and this :D

Sweet, you gonna do the Jana 65 mod or keep the stock gears?

Sweet, you gonna do the Jana 65 mod or keep the stock gears?

in the long term Yes, We'll get it mounted and driving first. The Carriers have 3.55's in them currently. But were still trying to think of what we will do for gearing. Our original thought was just run it and put the money into a atlas, however we'll see where that goes. I'm trying to locate some free or super cheap rollers for set up in the 37" to 42" flavor:D

I will give you my 37's once I buy new tires. I hope to do that in the next 3-6 months depending on money.

Thanks Matt, we may just pick up some of those 37" hummer tires off Pirate.;) Can't beat them at $85 bucks a piece:D

It was good day. Sent a few hours on it today, and started gutting the interior to see what we had as far the body. You see in the first picture shows this truck has been fixed before. The driver quarter panel has been welded in. which may have contributed to it crushing so easy. You can see in the 2nd pic the really crushed D pillar...Not even sure what to do here but cut it off:rolleyes: We'll see.

and by the end of day, I ended up with a Explorer Sport Truck:p:

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • crunch.jpg
    crunch.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • Ex Truck.jpg
    Ex Truck.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,524

pictures during the deconstruction!
DSCN0098.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0092.jpg

left overs
DSCN0097.jpg

camper shell FOR SALE
DSCN0102.jpg

the end result..... for now....
DSCN0101.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And now a little "Explorer ****" The deroofing of the Sport.
Caution may not be work safe
th_DSCN0096.jpg

Back