Project Resurrection. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Resurrection.

Well I figure I'd start a thread of this. I'm really not sure where this will go....:rolleyes:

So I picked up Keepers 2000 Explorer Sport, with plans to make into a fun toy to wheel. However after getting it home I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts.:rolleyes: It's in pretty bad shape. Much worse then I expected:(

The whole driver side is toast, and I'm not even sure it can be pushed out enough to be even close to what it was. There is a good 1 1/2" gap between the door jam, where the quarter panel stretched inward. Looks like the front end A-arm may be bent, and the rear axle may be gone too. Everything shifted back there in the accident, and looks like the axle or a shaft is bent. :(

So at this point it's really going to come down to what the frame looks like. I have to do some measurements to see if it's square, or even close. If the Frame is ok, we will probably go on with the project , just may go a different direction. Less body, more tube. If I can come up with the money I'm thinking F-Toy Cage:D However if the frame is toast, there really is no point in going on, there is just way to much damage. At that point the only thing salvageable (besides small parts) is the drive train. Which does run and drive good:thumbsup:

Our plan was to drive it home yesterday...as you can see that didn't happen:( the rear axle was causing the wheel to wobble so bad we knew we would never make it the 45 miles home. We originally thought it was the wheel, as it was cracked. But after swapping the spare on, it had no effect. :thumbdwn:

attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any updates? Also you must have a pretty cool Mom. I don't think I could get away with leaving something like that at my parents house.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Any updates? Also you must have a pretty cool Mom. I don't think I could get away with leaving something like that at my parents house.

How do you think I get to play with my grandkids! lol
And who do you think takes all those ... interesting pictures? he he

Here you go Matt, and special thanks for the tip;)

Just picked up...

C4/C5 + AA 11.5 Adapter + Manual 1350 w/linkage

Attachments

• c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,420

Here you go Matt, and special thanks for the tip;)

Just picked up...

C4/C5 + AA 11.5 Adapter + Manual 1350 w/linkage for one of these:D
yG4pMCqvVjaF-scqNee0dsZJ6F5vSzA3taTQPHg7VaG54SJyIw.jpg

You forgot to mention that, that other hunk of metal in the pic is going in the FJ40! for a meek $50 5.0HO yeah baby!!!!!

If you dont end up using it then I call dibs for the same price :D

well bad news is we just found out it is not a c5 bell housing. it's for a 302:rolleyes: still a great deal however:D

I may be steeling some ideas from this when I get home ;)

test fitting the newly aquired 33x12.50x15 BFG Muds
2011-04-28174249.jpg

2011-04-28174255.jpg

the 235x75x15 Wranglers are now up for sale 4+1 spare aprprox 60-75% tread factory aluminum wheels 1 bad, and spare steel wheel

Slow, we're thinking of finding a f350 donor for a pair of 60's instead of the ttb 50. Just takes money :(

33s on dana 60s?? I hope you plan on going to at least 38"... :p:

I think you should stick to the D50, it would be so much cooler! And I want you to figure out everything so I can do a D44 TTB on my truck later.

So looks like change of plans:rolleyes: We have been discussing what to do with the Frame, as I said before it's pushed in 1/2" back on the driver side in between the front two mounts. we really didn't want to put money into the frame for straightening...:( This has been our hold up right now.

and then the answer fell in our lap.:D While down buying some DOM from a guy on DR, he donated a to us a '95 Supercab Ranger Cab, on a stripped 2wd frame.:thumbsup:

This should speed up some things, as the frame will be set up for a steering box already, dash is the same, and we can box the frame from the beginning. We'll transplant the SOHC, and thinking of using the Explorer front clip still. Most likely the rest of the Sport will be sold for scrap.. after we take off what ever else we need or what ever else can be sold..

The sad part is I really wanted to save this truck....but it's just to far gone. There is evidence of at least 3 different accidents in this truck. It's really been trough a lot, and yet still starts up and moves on it's own. It;s heart will live on though.....;) that I promise.

A new frame! a new body! and a few other goodies all for a super deal
$1200 loaded out the door!
the list:
Cold Saw
Miller welder with custom cart
welding table
Argon tank
half-body with good frame(FREE)
heim joints ad bric-a-brac(LOL)
various and sundrie extra bits

DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

and so now we begin AGAIN

Frickin awesome! That table is gonna be nice! Along with the welder.. and the body.. and frame. :cool:

Back