Project Roadblock | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Roadblock

Gman your help is appreciated. I'm just trying to get on the same page as you, and vice versa. I wish I had the pics to show what I'm seeing.

The wires that run to either side of my trans comes straight off of the engine. There is no harness connectors at my firewall "hump" like what you have pictured above.

The wires to the o2 sensor (pass side) runs straight down to a small harness to the pigtail harness for the o2 sensor at the end of the y-pipe right before the dual cat.

The wires on the driver's side come off the main engine wiring harness in a loom. Runs along side the trans and splits off like I described before. That's all the wires I removed to get my engine out while in the process, aside from the connections inside the engine bay.

I'm not trying to be difficult or give anyone the run around. I'm just trying to get my truck back on the road. Like I've said before in this thread I'm doing this by myself with very minimal physical help in the midst of winter weather. You all are my only true help and support, other than what information I can find on the net.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not that, It's just that I am running out of ideas to help you with is all. I guess the 91 harness is different the the others with the separate engine & trans harness. I believe you on that, no reason to think otherwise. I have access to a 91 with the automatic trans in it, let me look at the harness over the weekend and see if I can think of something else. Meantime, just keep on doing what you can. Search here, and keep asking in other threads. :thumbsup:

You might start another thread asking for wiring help. Somebody here is sure to have All-Data and can look up the starting circuits for you.

Ok, thanks.

Yeah I'll have to ask around in different sections. I'm going to look into that All-Data too. Think I've heard of that somewhere before.

Wow I have NEVER seen anyone do an engine/clutch swap by themselves. Kudos to you.
I replaced my clutch in Sept @ 200,816 my clutch disc was down to the rivets all the way around. My clutch wouldn't pull a hill in 2nd gear.... that sucked.

I installed a "HD" clutch from ebay and a new motorcraft slave cylinder. I'm at 209,x.. now. I had help installing my trans though.

I had an issue w/ mine not starting either after clutch swap. I had a click click click... checked all my connections multiple times, then I replaced the fender-mounted starter solenoid, then replaced the battery.

Stupid $100 battery :rant: problem solved.

Bout to run to the store and buy a bottle jack and see if that helps me.

Awesome build skill!

By the way on first read I thought you said ' Bout to run to the store and buy a bottle of Jack to see if that helps'.

I thought that was a fairly creative problem fix. But your way works too ;).

Thanks!!!!

Wow I have NEVER seen anyone do an engine/clutch swap by themselves. Kudos to you.
I replaced my clutch in Sept @ 200,816 my clutch disc was down to the rivets all the way around. My clutch wouldn't pull a hill in 2nd gear.... that sucked.

I installed a "HD" clutch from ebay and a new motorcraft slave cylinder. I'm at 209,x.. now. I had help installing my trans though.

I had an issue w/ mine not starting either after clutch swap. I had a click click click... checked all my connections multiple times, then I replaced the fender-mounted starter solenoid, then replaced the battery.

Stupid $100 battery :rant: problem solved.

Thanks man! :thumbsup: This in no way has been easy for me but I'm hanging in there!!!!

eBay helped save me ALOT of money during this whole process!!! Most of my parts that I replaced came from eBay!!! 9 times out of 10 its worth the wait, especially when part stores have to order your parts anyway, and your getting a discount. CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!!!!! :chug:

Awesome build skill!

By the way on first read I thought you said ' Bout to run to the store and buy a bottle of Jack to see if that helps'.

I thought that was a fairly creative problem fix. But your way works too ;).

LMAO!!!! Second person with the bottle of Jack scenario!!!!!! :chug: That would definitely cause some interesting results!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment, but to me it'll be awesome once I get her running again!!!!!! Then it's drinks on me!!!!!!!!! :chug:

After that the fun stuff begins!!!

Update

Well after a series of bad weather and other pressing matters I haven't been able to do alot to my truck except look at it and come on here and do research about my problems.

I got kind of a steal of a deal the other day which helped solve my transportation issue. A pregnant female friend of mine asked for my help finding her a mini van. In exchange I would get her '02 Focus SE for $500. Granted its not in the best shape, but she wanted to get rid of it and I needed a car that runs. Sadly enough I haven't been able to find a forum that could compare to this one, but I'm still searching. I've found two so far; FocusFanatics and FocalJet. If anyone here knows of any others that are Focus friendly let me know.

Soooooooo.................now I'm in the middle of cleaning out my garage so I can push my Ex in and be able to work on it as long as needed without worrying about the elements. Yeah I know, your probably wondering why didn't you just do that in the first place???? Well with the mild weather during the start of this and thinking it could be done in a short amount of time (with the help I never got), I wasn't really thinking about it. I'll let you guys know when I get everything situated and have some pics and progress.

I have to tell you good job on getting this far by yourself. I know what it's like to have to do almost every thing with no help. I myself have replaced the auto trans in mine 2 times with no help other than me myself and I and in a gravel driveway. Both times thats where she left me and thats where she was changed. I recently did the balljoints on both sides of mine by myself as well. Sometimes doing things by yourself you have to get creative ,but in the end you reach desired results. Keep at it eventually you will figgure out that no start issue.

I have to tell you good job on getting this far by yourself. I know what it's like to have to do almost every thing with no help. I myself have replaced the auto trans in mine 2 times with no help other than me myself and I and in a gravel driveway. Both times thats where she left me and thats where she was changed. I recently did the balljoints on both sides of mine by myself as well. Sometimes doing things by yourself you have to get creative ,but in the end you reach desired results. Keep at it eventually you will figgure out that no start issue.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

:thumbsup: for getting yours done on gravel!!!!

I would be very further along if it wasn't for the weather and I had a job!!!!

You might even have the connector for the neutral switch. Hmm, that might be the issue! Do you not have all the connectors plugged in from your trans harness? If the neutral switch connector is not hooked up, you will get no crank! Check it out!

This is where I would start.;)

This is where I would start.;)

Yeah I've been looking for a schematic/diagram to find out what/how it works. Found a few out there but none specifically for the whole clutch switch itself.

I was planning on putting everything I've found so far for the clutch switch in a new post in Everything Under the Hood. I just need to identify at this point what is NO/NC when the clutch is released/pressed.

Hey dude, PM me your email, I have what you want...

PM sent!!

@wood1

WOW you gave me a lot more than I expected!!!!! THANKS!!

I think I found what I need. Bout to go and pull my clutch switch and DMM and get to testing!!!!

Ok. Just got done checking my clutch switch and all is well. Tomorrow going to check my other connections....again. Just hope it doesn't rain all day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back