Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration

Well the original plan when I bought John's truck was to go ahead and disassemble it and use it for parts for mine. I decided instead to go ahead and keep it together and replace what needed to be replaced, and mine can still stay the road queen that it is hah.

So I thought I'd post up some pictures so far....

How the Trac stood when we arrived to pick her up.

Another...

Getting her loaded up on my Tahoe...

Randall trying to figure out where we can stuff more of the parts that go with her...

Kris double checking Randall's tie down work to make sure it doesn't fly off while we're driving back home :)

Late night entry into the garage after a very long haul to Houston and back home - Large thanks for Kris and Randall for all their help

Current status in my garage

As you can see, a little bit of rust, but we'll go ahead and go over that with some good old rustolem

Header panel on the drivers side cracked and full of holes - hard to keep the headlamp/turn signal and fender back on it

New header panel next

New header panel in my make shift paint booth haha

Needed a new fan clutch

Had to cut the fan shroud off to get the fan clutch off - as John taught me the correct way to rebuild our plastic parts on our Trac's haha - Zip Ties!

More to come as I get further into it. Plan is for this Sunday, Kris will be coming over to assist me in taking the superlift off the front and dropping it back down to original suspension up front as the superlift knuckles are ruined.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, I'm sure other members will donate parts if you need them for the Trac to get it back in shape. Glad to see you got it and decided against parting it out!!!

am i looking at this right, or is the rad sitting in stock location? how did john do that, or did he cut the bottom of the shroud off.
and i to am glad that it will live on, and no be a donor truck.

Check out the ST site, I know there's alot of members over there that would probably be more then willing to help out with parts needed as well. Good luck with the project!!!

The shroud is actually flipped up side down - that's how it adjusted with the body lift. I learned that when we did mine in 05. Back then we had to cut mine in half to get it off and then just dripped holes and zipped it back together - so in order to change the fan clutch I had to cut this one off, and just repeated the process.

Did you find some knuckles? All the crap going on in my world right now I haven't gotten to that junk yard I mentioned. I had planned the trip for yesterday but that didn't work out.....

Glad to see the ST will be around still:thumbsup:

Cant wait to see the progress!

Did you find some knuckles? All the crap going on in my world right now I haven't gotten to that junk yard I mentioned. I had planned the trip for yesterday but that didn't work out.....

I did, thanks for keeping me in mind though! Kris from the site donated a pair he had in his garage which is awesome. If you come across some headlamps and a right turn signal if you happen to hit up the junk yard let me know, none of them around here have any.

Big thanks to Mike Y from mysporttrac.com, he'll be donating some headlamps for the Trac. Thanks!!!

Excellant!! (in Mr. Burns voice)

Subscribing to this! And if you ever need help wiring up anything, let me know!:thumbsup:

An extremely large thank you to Kris for spending his day with me and doing pretty much most of the work to get the suspension changed out and dropping the superlift.

Just getting started....

Coming off piece by piece

Had to buy new rotors to fit the new spindles...

Bam - front of the superlift out!

Kris taking a breather :)

Kris taking a look to see if we can grind off one of the brackets - no go too close to the oil pan

Needs some work

Coming back together with all it's new parts..

Had to keep the front diff out because of a bracket but that's ok Kris said it needs some work anyway. Other than that, needs an alignment. I've got some headlamps coming by the end of next week and then I'll put the rest of the front together, give her a bath and she should be good to go for the run atleast. Then back to taking care of everything one piece at a time...Stay tuned....

Goddamn! Hell of alot of work you's have done already :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow!! That be a lot of work done today!!! Kuddos to Chris and Kris!!! :salute:
:chug:

Just noticed this post #1,000 for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back