Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide

Well, the nitrous oxide (N2O) install is finished. I'll attempt to produce a reasonable writeup for the install.

I started with ZEX nitrous oxide kit #82011. Dead Link Removed
This kit includes the bottle, all lines and hoses, the controller box, injection nozzle, and arming switch.

I mounted the bottle in the rear cargo compartment in place of the net pocket: Dead Link Removed

Here's the bottle covered: Dead Link Removed I currently also have a gray laundry bag wrapping the entire bottle and mounts.

The bottle is mounted to the floor between the interior panel and the outer body with a custom 1/4" steel bracket. The bracket is bolted through the floor (soon to another plate underneath) with grade 8 hardware. Thus the bottle is well shielded from side and rear impacts. You can see that a blue blowoff tube is run under the truck to the rear bumper, and the N2O line is run along the frame to the engine bay. Dead Link Removed

Here you can see the mounting of the controller box: Dead Link Removed

The box is mounted to an 1/8" aluminum plate custom made to fit that location. You can see the line coming into the rear from the bottle, and out the front to the nozzle. The capped vacuum fittings are supposed to go to the fuel system in a "normal" application for fuel enrichment during a spray. However, I tuned the fuel enrichment through my secondary BBK fuel management unit already installed with my supercharger.

Here is the nitrous nozzle in the intake tube, about 7" from the throttle body: Dead Link Removed

The kit came with a tap to drill and tap the metal line (and also hardware for plastic lines). This made it very easy.

Part of this wiring mess is the tap to the throttle position sensor Dead Link Removed

This allows the unit to sense wide open throttle and activate the spray. The TPS tap is wired through a momentary pushbutton switch by my steering wheel. This way I can go to WOT and only spray when I want to.

Here are the arming switch (powers the whole system) and the momentary: Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

That's about it. I'm running a little over a 65hp shot, which feels really good but not too much. The fuel system keeps up very well, and I don't have a problem with traction or anything else. Basically when I hit it it the engine revs up much faster and it feels like you're instantly getting pushed by a vehicle going slightly faster. I don't have any track times yet, but hopefully will soon.

I'm also looking into a remote bottle opener so I can open and close the bottle on the fly. More pics when I install that.

Thanks for reading!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know parts of my install aren't the greatest, but....Those pics were taken before the install was totally complete. The bottle is now covered, and looks like any other bag of cargo. The arming switch is now carpeted (in the process of) so all the "boxes" on the side of the console will be mostly hidden. Does it work? Yes. Does it look ok? Yes. Do I have the time, patience, and/or money to make everything perfect? No.

It works for me, and works well. I'm constantly in the process of updating my truck and making it cleaner. It's never done. It's just that most of the time I install something I just have time and money to make it work, not to look great.

Ok, that's pretty much enough ranting and raving for now. Oh, and my truck is slower than the Troll, but can the Troll do Moab?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please explain Moab for us peeps who dunno what that is?? I would like to see some times when ever u run the X...Thanks

Pictures of last year's Moab trip are here:
Dead Link Removed

That trip was before my lift: at stock height with stock Goodyears. This year should be even better. Leaving for the Arizona run tomorrow! As for times, I'm ordering an accelerometer performance meter when I get back.

Originally posted by Alec
I know parts of my install aren't the greatest, but....Those pics were taken before the install was totally complete. The bottle is now covered, and looks like any other bag of cargo. The arming switch is now carpeted (in the process of) so all the "boxes" on the side of the console will be mostly hidden. Does it work? Yes. Does it look ok? Yes. Do I have the time, patience, and/or money to make everything perfect? No.

It works for me, and works well. I'm constantly in the process of updating my truck and making it cleaner. It's never done. It's just that most of the time I install something I just have time and money to make it work, not to look great.

Ok, that's pretty much enough ranting and raving for now. Oh, and my truck is slower than the Troll, but can the Troll do Moab?

OOOHHHHHH. I get it....So what you're saying it that you have a life outside of owning an Explorer? Very Noble. That must be the key difference between owning a blower and being arrogant and owning a blower and NOT being arrogant.

hey this is the go fast section no one said we had to play in the sand box that not fair. LOL.

Well put....:D....Ne one know a good site for buying performance parts for the 2000 XLT V8 (intercoolers, mass air sensors, etc...)

like i said before i give him mad props for doing all the work him self and going to such a extreme in his truck which is something not many are willing to do. i happen to have high standered on any thing i install that if some one wants it just work then i will trow it in there but even then i refuse to let it look like a rig. most of the time we hide the nos and all the wires as well as every thing else so you can see it. that is just how i am may be i made the mistake of talking to soon about the install before he was done cleaning up the install yet but i though from the picture that is was a little sloppy and i am alowed to say my Opinion just like you guys i did not mean him any serious disrespect. hey and no sand racing ok because i was Traumatized in a sand box once and it just scares me. LOL

I had a bully beat me over the head with a green plastic shovel and bucket once.....I know how you feel - sand in the pants is not fun.

Alec I for one think your truck is extremely practical and very sweet.

Having a very fast explorer and one that can tackle the trails is something most owners only dream of.

Back